• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rhum Clement

Ed Hamilton

A few months ago, I read a press release that Clement was importing their white rhum agricole to the US. Last week I ran across a bottle of this rhum in New York.

I was surprised that it was bottled at only 80 proof, almost every white rhum agricole in Martinique is bottled at 100 proof, and it didn't taste anything like the Clement I've enjoyed in Martinique. This rhum is contract distilled at the Simon distillery in Martinique and presumably bottled in Martinique in 750 ml bottles for the US market.

I'm encouraged that Clement is working to bring rhum agricole to the US, and look forward to tasting this rhum at 100 proof as it is bottled in the French West Indies.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

The Complete Guide to Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'll take it.

Rhum Clement is a great rum -- I've had a single bottle that I have been nursing for several years, I'm glad to hear that one has now made its way to the US.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

We're talking about two different rhums. The Clement white rum I found was at the Flatiron Lounge on 18th Street. The Clement Rhum Vieux you found in France could well have been bottled in Martinique and depending on the year can be a good aged rhum agricole. But don't get your hopes up for their white rhum.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

• 3 months later...

After my comment that Clement rhum blanc was bottled at 80 proof, I was informed by the importer that they plan to introduce a 100 proof version of their white rum next year, which will be the same as their rum sold in Martinique under the Clement label.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com