• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

yunan pot

Wolfert

I recently read about Yunan steam cooking. When I googled images , I found one photo which is almost the same as a certain claypot used in Eastern Turkey to steam-bake bread and steam-cook poultry and meat dishes.

Does anyone know where I can purchase one on line?

Does anyone have the time to share some information on how to cook in this pot?

By the way, I love cooking in my Korean glazed earthenware pot. Does anyone know the reason why it is totally glazed?

.Thanks

Edited by Wolfert (log)

“C’est dans les vieux pots, qu’on fait la bonne soupe!”, or ‘it is in old pots that good soup is made’.

I found some references to Yunan (Yunnan) eartheware pots and Chinese earthenware pots, but no luck finding a store that carries them online.

I searched under Chinese clay pots and found this online store. very quickly, so I assume there are more. It's also called a sandy pot. I don't know if this is similar or the same as what you're referring to.

As for the reason why Korean earthenware pots are totally glazed, I think that it has to do with the type of dishes that are cooked in them, usually chigae (stew type dishes). These stews are fairly pungent and there is no oil used in them. I think that the use of oil acts as a sort of seal or barrier in unglazed pots. Or am I just thinking too much? :unsure:

EDIT: I just found this while doing a keyword search "yunan steam pot". I see that it is different from sandy pots. Looks like a fire pot, but of course the more commons ones are made from metal.

Edited by touaregsand (log)

What a wonderful online store! And the clay/sandy pots are reasonably priced which is great. Thanks so much for taking the time to look for the Yunnan pot.

The Yunnan pot has a cone in the center and you place the whole pot in a larger one of simmering water ,steam goes up the cone and cooks the food in the pot. Well, actually I have only read about the method, but I really want to find one and try it out.

There is in Tunisia a pot that is similar in shape to the Yunnan pot, called a four Palestinian. Not sure why it is called that because I never met a Palestinian who ever heard the term or knew what I was talking about!!!

The four Palestinian looks like a bundt mold and sits on the stove and slowly cooks prepared foods like meatballs and stuffed artichokes from all sides.

By the way, I'm looking for that pot as well!

Edited by Wolfert (log)

“C’est dans les vieux pots, qu’on fait la bonne soupe!”, or ‘it is in old pots that good soup is made’.

I love my Yunnan Steam Pot! Actually, I have 3 of them. One a regular size, one a cute 1 cup or so size and the last is a mini 'topic of conversation' teeny weeny one.

You can get a couple of recipes on line, but the one I've used for years uses a whole chicken cut into about 24 pieces. (be careful of bone splinters) You also want 1/4 pound of sliced ham cut in pieces about 2x1x1/2, and a cup of bamboo shoots cut the same. You also need about a tsp. sugar, salt to taste, some sherry or ShaoHsing wine (3 Tbsp). a slice of ginger and a pinch of cayenne.

Put the chicken in the Yunnan Pot and add the ginger slice. Spread the ham and shoots on top and sprinkle with the rest. Cover with the lid.

Place the steam pot in a large pot of hot water and bring to a boil. Be sure that the water doesn't rise above the handles. I often put a washcloth on the bottom of the large pot as a cushion for the Yunnan pot. Lower the heat to a simmer and cook for an hour.

When done, CAREFULLY remove the Yunnan Pot from the large pot and serve.

Because juice forms in the Yunnan pot, from the steaming, you have to serve in bowls and use spoons. The essence of the broth is wonderful!

Some other recipes on line use a couple of cups of broth in their recipes.

Also, --- I've used marinated boneless pieces of chicken. If you use larger pieces of chicken, adjust the time.

I hope you get the pot and use it. If so, let us know how it turns out.

Richard:Yes, that is it!!!! THANK YOU

Some women want jewels; other furs to make them smile. ME< Give me a claypot anytime!

THe amazing thing is that it is in San Francisco. About 10 minutes from our apartment!

Stay tuned for recipes from eastern Turkey using this pot.

Jo Mel: thanks for the tips on handling the pot. Those hints will keep the pot going for me. THe one I ordered handles 2 quarts.

Edited by Wolfert (log)

• 1 year later...