• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Moroccan Tagine Cooking

Bumping this again....the big brown truck delivered my tagine today! I still can't get connected to their site but my son was checking for me so it all worked out fine. It's kind of crooked and has some dings and dents in the sides but it's exquisitely beautiful! is it ok to drool over a cooking vessel? I'm soaking it now and it will have overnight to dry and then it gets the oil and ash rub down. I thank each and everyone of you on this thread....I'm in love with my tagine and we've just met!

I think the dings add individuality and character to the tagines. Mine are all obviously hand made, no machine-made, cookie-cutter pots can ever give the same effect.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

My ourika & tagra arrived on Monday. I know how you feel silentmeow! The tagra is beautiful, smooth and seemingly free from imperfections. The tagine is beautiful as well... though it is definitely rough with a few chips here and there. I haven't yet decided whether to do the ash treatment.

Meanwhile... Treda photo :

gallery_11353_1017_3359.jpg

I think the dings add individuality and character to the tagines.  Mine are all obviously hand made, no machine-made, cookie-cutter pots can ever give the same effect.

I totally agree with you. I look at my stainless and it emits a cold impersonal feeling, the cast iron and clay have an inviting warmth and the promise of a wonderful meal. I believe that cooking is the essence of culture. Without women being adaptable, inventive and possessing the desire to feed and nurture her family, culture would not have survived. There would be no electricity, technology and heaven forbid no indoor plumbing! My husband rant and raves about the invention of the gas engine. I glance at my sand pots, grin and ask him what he'd like for dinner!

*Please note that I deviated from the original recipe quite a bit. If you have a chance to find it, you'll see what I mean.*

Treda

(adapted by me from Kitty Morse's Cooking at the Casbah)

Olive oil to coat bottom of tagine

2 diced onions

minced garlic to taste

1 large tomato, diced

chicken 1/4's (3 or 4 lbs), skin removed and cut in half

1 tbs freshly cracked pepper

1 tsp turmeric

water to cover

handful cilantro sprigs tied with butchers twine

1/8 cup fenugreek seeds

1 cup dried lentils

6 cups cubed day old bread

pepper & cilantro to garnish

In tagine over low heat, place olive oil,onion, garlic, tomato, chicken pieces, and tied cilatro bunch.

Mix dried spices including fenugreek,and sprinkle over chicken. Add water to cover. Place lid on tagine a simmer over low until tender.

Remove chicken pieces (and debone) adding in lentils to cook.

Return chicken to tagine and simmer until lentils are tender. Garnish with cilantro & pepper. Serve over bread with the accumulated broth.

Peanutgirl....I copied down your recipe. Thanks. I'm still rubbing oil into the tagine, over 1 cup now! How much do I rub in? After the oil and ash bake it turned out the most beautiful color, a real dark terra cotta. It almost matches the floor tiles! Do I keep rubbing in the oil until it won't take anymore before I can cook in it? I'm dying to use it but don't want to damage the pot. BTW it has the most wonderful smell, real earthy.

When it is cold, wash it well, let it dry completely before covering and storing in a cupboard.

BTW I give my Riffi tagine an oiling (1/4 cup) once or twice a year.

Don't forget (1) never put a hot tagine on a cold surface; (2) never pour cold liquid into a hot tagine; (3) use a flame tamer and start on low and only gradually increase the heat; and (4) with each use, it is wise to rub the tagine inside top and bottom with a clove of garlic.

“C’est dans les vieux pots, qu’on fait la bonne soupe!”, or ‘it is in old pots that good soup is made’.

Just wanted to update you: the oiling and re-baking completely erased the crazing in my tagine. I,used it about 3 times since and have had no problems. I have been pouring a little oil on the tagine before I use it.

If only Jack Nicholson could have narrated my dinner, it would have been perfect.

Just wanted to update you:  the oiling and re-baking completely erased the crazing in my tagine.  I,used it about 3 times since and have had no problems.  I have been pouring a little oil on the tagine before I use it.

That's excellent news! Thanks for the update!

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

I made my first meal in my tagine last night! Paula's "Lamb tagine smothered in onions". Had to substitute beef and romas but still tasted wonderful and the aroma while cooking was mouthwatering! Still soaking up the oil this morning. Going to try the teada recipe later this week. Guess it's a good thing I can't get onto Tagine's site, mine looks lonely and probably needs a friend, or two!

The most recent Cooking Light has an article on Tagine Cooking. The article is clear that these recipes are adaptions of traditional recipes to be cooked in dutch ovens. They called for searing the meat first, like more western braises. I made Chicken with Chickpeas and Tomotoes and it was very good. It made me interested in tagines, which I'd heard of but wasn't real clear on what they were (other than a funny looking cooking vessel). So I found this topic and read through the whole thing over the past couple of days. I just ordered Paula Wolfert's "Couscous and Other Good Food from Morocco." Now I suppose I need to actually purchase a tagine.

I have found this topic wonderful. I am always amazed at the depth of knowledge that is found in Egullet.

Johanna

Next up for me will definitely be a lamb tagine of some sort. I have some in the freezer.

From what I've read, tagine meat isn't usually browned first (???) So the slow heat of the clay cooking has been very much forgiving and easy.

I just ordered Paula Wolfert's "Couscous and Other Good Food from Morocco."
I have it as well. It's a great resource !

From what I've read, tagine meat isn't usually browned first (???) So the slow heat of the clay cooking has been very much forgiving and easy.

It stated in the article that browning first was not traditional and that it was done to speed up the cooking process. I think the intent of the article and recipes was to try and impart some of the flavors of tagine cooking, but not the techniques.

Johanna

The most recent Cooking Light has an article on Tagine Cooking.  The article is clear that these recipes are adaptions of traditional recipes to be cooked in dutch ovens.  They called for searing the meat first, like more western braises.  I made Chicken with Chickpeas and Tomotoes and it was very good.  It made me interested in tagines, which I'd heard of but wasn't real clear on what they were (other than a funny looking cooking vessel).  So I found this topic and read through the whole thing over the past couple of days.  I just ordered Paula Wolfert's "Couscous and Other Good Food from Morocco."  Now I suppose I need to actually purchase a tagine. 

I have found this topic wonderful.  I am always amazed at the depth of knowledge that is found in Egullet.

Be careful, very careful. This was how it started for me! Now I have a Riffi and three more cookbooks. If I could access Tagines.com I'd probably purchase another tagine. Very addicting so pace yourself. Suzanne

When I ordered one for my daughter they said it would be 12 weeks but she got it in 7. I think it all depends on when the ships arrive.

I got the deeper tangia from casablancamarket.com and it is very nice. I have seasoned it but have yet to decide on which recipe I will use to "christen" it.

I think I am actually going to try something like a cassoulet. My Mexican neighbor has ordered one too. She wants to try it as a bean pot.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

The most recent Cooking Light has an article on Tagine Cooking.  (snip)  I just ordered Paula Wolfert's "Couscous and Other Good Food from Morocco."  Now I suppose I need to actually purchase a tagine. 

I have found this topic wonderful.  I am always amazed at the depth of knowledge that is found in Egullet.

Be careful, very careful. This was how it started for me! Now I have a Riffi and three more cookbooks. If I could access Tagines.com I'd probably purchase another tagine. Very addicting so pace yourself. Suzanne

I am not going to reveal how many tagines I have, it is embarassing, especially since I have not cooked in all of the cooking ones and have used only two of the serving type.

Some things simply have such an organic feel and appearance and simply call to me. Almost as bad as the basenji puppies at my friend's home...... or the "flying saucer" vintage waffle iron offered on ebay in near mint condition.

I have no willpower at all, and apparently no shame!

The most recent Cooking Light has an article on Tagine Cooking.  (snip)  I just ordered Paula Wolfert's "Couscous and Other Good Food from Morocco."  Now I suppose I need to actually purchase a tagine. 

I am not going to reveal how many tagines I have, it is embarassing, especially since I have not cooked in all of the cooking ones and have used only two of the serving type.

Some things simply have such an organic feel and appearance and simply call to me. Almost as bad as the basenji puppies at my friend's home...... or the "flying saucer" vintage waffle iron offered on ebay in near mint condition.

I have no willpower at all, and apparently no shame!

Slowly move your chair back from the keyboard. Stand up and put your credit card back where it belongs. Resists temptation.......

Too late!!

Too late!!

Ok, but I tried to warn you! Who won, the flying saucer waffle maker or another tagine? Inquiring minds want to know....

Both, actually. My bad!

Too late!!

Ok, but I tried to warn you! Who won, the flying saucer waffle maker or another tagine? Inquiring minds want to know....

Both, actually. My bad!

You're doing ok, really you are! My soapstone casserole just arrived yesterday! At least your in good or rather great company. Since I still can't get onto tagines.com I'm off to check out that casablancamarket site. I really think it's foolish to leave money for the children, my legacy will be in pots, pots and more pots!

Fortunately my daughter is almost as avid a foodie as am I. She certainly got my genes!