• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Iodine-free baking

Abra

My husband is a thyroid cancer patient, which means that periodically he has to do an iodine-free diet for two weeks. This is VERY restrictive, and makes baking a huge challenge. Every bite he eats has to be prepared at home, no restaurants, almost no canned or processed foods. Since iodized or sea salt, bleached flour, and dough conditioners are verboten, all bread has to be home-baked. No dairy products at all, including butter. No egg yolks. No soy. No brown sugar or molasses. No chocolate, except cocoa powder. And there are more restrictions, but these are the baking challenges.

So I've been playing around with baking for him, and here are two really successful treats I've made

gallery_16307_215_48561.jpg

On the top is the remains of a cinnamon bread he's been eating for breakfast. The little tartlets are made with a lard pastry (home made lard), and nutmeg-simmered apples. I made a crumb topping with flour, sugar, sesame seeds, and walnut oil, then decided to put a layer of that under the apple layer, as well as on top. I haven't tasted them, but he pronounced them delicious, so I'm happy.

Shel is so lucky he has you!

Man, I thought wheat-free, sugar-free, dairy-free, gluten-free, and fat-free were tough......

iodine-free? One isn't quite sure how much iodine can be so prevalent in common foods!

Yipes. Double yipes!

How's he doing? I hope you all are OK!!! :wub:

God job adapting to some difficult constraints!

Oh, and it all looks delicious too!

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

It's funny, but no one seems to know how iodine gets into dairy products. Some theories are: washing udders with iodine-containing disinfectant, washing milking machines with same, or iodine introduced into feed supplies. I suppose that salt licks aren't made with iodized salt, but I'm not even sure of that.

I'm not sure if there's any call for iodine-free baked goods out there in pastry chef land, but if there is, I'll be happy to share what I know.

It's funny, but no one seems to know how iodine gets into dairy products.  Some theories are: washing udders with iodine-containing disinfectant, washing milking machines with same, or iodine introduced into feed supplies.  I suppose that salt licks aren't made with iodized salt, but I'm not even sure of that.

I'm not sure if there's any call for iodine-free baked goods out there in pastry chef land, but if there is, I'll be happy to share what I know.

I'm just speculating based on general biology knowledge but, since iodine is a necessary nutrient for humans, I suspect it is necessary for other mammals and, therefore, there is probably enough in cow's milk to meet the needs of calves. Whether that is enough to be too much for your husband's situation I have no idea. As you have suggested, there may be other sources of added iodine in commercial dairy products.

Just thinking about it... Fern

It's funny, but no one seems to know how iodine gets into dairy products.  Some theories are: washing udders with iodine-containing disinfectant, washing milking machines with same, or iodine introduced into feed supplies. 

Well, some of it is present naturally in soils and trasmitted to cows who graze on grasses growing in those soils. I don't know about the relative contributions of each of these sources to dairy iodine though.

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

So I've been playing around with baking for him, and here are two really successful treats I've made

Abra,

BRAVO! Good for you....and, my best wishes for you and your husband.

Edited by Sarah Phillips (log)

Happy Baking! Sarah Phillips, President and Founder, http://www.baking911.com

How are you and your husband doing?

I had my thyroid removed just over a year ago.

I can certainly feel your pain.

Best wishes for a full recovery.

-------------------------

Water Boils Roughly

Cold Eggs Coagulating

Egg Salad On Rye

-------------------------

Gregg Robinson

Thanks for the good wishes! We're doing ok. This is a really hard month, but it will be April before too long, and life will get more normal again. It's the third time he's had to do this treatment, so we're unfortunately sort of pros at it.

It's so hard to bake without brown sugar!