• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Shut out of Cucharamama--now where?

SusanGiff

By the way, that should read "good," not "goo," although goo is good too. We were ready to finally head to Hoboken for tasty South American food this Saturday but (of course) can't get a reservation until 9:45, too late, too late. But now our taste buds are whetted for them flavors. Any other good South American/Cuban places to try in Northern NJ? Preferably a place that can take 6 people on shortish notice?

Thanks.

Susan

The only place in northern NJ that I can think of is Azucar in Edgewater...I've heard good things about the food, but also reports that it's very smoky there. Since I'm very allergic to smoke, I haven't been.

If you're willing to travel to central NJ, Nova Terra in New Brunswick is good, and it's a 'scene'--if that's appealing. I'm curious to know if there are other suggestions!

Edit: As I hit the Reply button, my brain yelled "WAITAMINUTE!" I just (as in this week) read a review of Lua (I think) in Hoboken...it's on Sinatra drive, and the woman who reviewed it said that they made the best ceviches that she's had in a long time. I can give you the link to the review in the morning.

Edited by Curlz (log)

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

I recall reading some mixed reports on Azucar recently (can't recall where). You might also consider Rebecca's in Edgewater - if I recall correctly it has a nice upscale atmosphere and good Cuban food. By the way.... it's smokefree :smile:

Zafra in Hoboken.

What is the sound of hundreds of hands slapping against foreheads?!? :laugh:

There's your best answer so far! But who knows if you can get a res THERE this late in the game...best call now!

But as promised, here's the link to the review of Lua (latin/Mexican in Hoboken) by Andrea Strong.

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

I concur...just didn't think it was equivalent in terms of ambiance. But I completely agree about their food!!!

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Cafe Cafe here in Rutherford. No one seems to have been there tho. Including me.

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

I have been to Cafe Cafe for lunch a couple of times. I had a chicken sandwhich Cuban style, and a chicken platter with mashed yams. I found the food to be okay...not up to the caliber of the previously mentioned places. Also, a bit overpriced for their offerings. I went with friends who have gone there for dinner as well. They found the food to be somewhat authentic, but definitely overpriced. Not a destination spot.

In all fairness I think Zafra has went seriously downhill. Service, and food.

There is no competition with La Isla in Hoboken. The food is head and shoulders above Zafra and the servie is way better.

I also have to give a serious thumbs up to Azucar. I think their food is as good if not better than La Isla but more expensive. Azucars appetizers are better than La Isla.

I would pass on Zafra unless you can't get into La Isla.

"My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them." ~Winston Churchill

Morels- God's gift to the unworthy human species

Thanks for all these suggestions! Here's what's happening:

We want a bar, so we'd already ruled out Zafra (and I guess La Isla, which otherwise looks and sounds great). Lua can't take us until 9:45--I'm getting really tired of never being able to get a reservation in a decent restaurant in New Jersey and guess I'll actually have to start planning ahead. So now we're thinking about trying one of the Cubans in Union City--either Artesano or a place called Latin American Restaurant, which I'm leaning towards if only to reward them for the straightforwardness of their name. Anyone been to either, or to another Cuban in Union City? Can you steer us towards or away in, like, the next two hours? If not, we'll happily (I hope) report back.

Don't ask me why the bar is such a deal-breaker--I guess we're also just tired of always bringing our own.

Thanks for all these suggestions! Here's what's happening:

We want a bar, so we'd already ruled out Zafra (and I guess La Isla, which otherwise looks and sounds great). Lua can't take us until 9:45--I'm getting really tired of never being able to get a reservation in a decent restaurant in New Jersey and guess I'll actually have to start planning ahead. So now we're thinking about trying one of the Cubans in Union City--either Artesano or a place called Latin American Restaurant, which I'm leaning towards if only to reward them for the straightforwardness of their name. Anyone been to either, or to another Cuban in Union City? Can you steer us towards or away in, like, the next two hours? If not, we'll happily (I hope) report back.

Don't ask me why the bar is such a deal-breaker--I guess we're also just tired of always bringing our own.

Hard Grove Cafe has a full bar, and the best Mojitos!! A really fun place with terrific Cuban food!! It's in Jersey City, still in the Hudson County area you are looking at... Did you check the link to the web site above?