• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What's your favorite ham glaze?

sheetz

I'm looking for a good recipe for a ham glaze to go on an inexpensive Cook's ham.  What's your favorite?

Honey is always a good one but I'm fond of yellow or brown mustard rubbed on with cloves poking into the beast every inch or so. That's the way my Grandmother made it so I'm partiall to it for sentimental (and taste) reasons.

My Photography: Bob Worthington Photography

My music: Coronado Big Band

Score the fat. in diamonds

Rub with demerara sugar. Much easier to do this before you stud with cloves

Stick cloves either in the center of each diamond or the intersections

Pour cider over

Bake half an hour in a hot oven 400F/200C, basting with the pan juices every ten minutes

Eat hot ot cold

In a medium sauce pan, combine 1 cup each honey, freshly squeezed OJ, dijon mustard, and dark brown sugar. Add 1 tbs coarsely ground black pepper, and 1 tsp each smoked paprika and chipotle chile powder. Warm over medium low heat until glaze blends and thickens somewhat. Score the ham and stud with 1-2 tsp whole cloves. Generously brush with glaze and place in oven. Apply glaze 3 more times before finish.

I have been known to use orange marmalade, with the cloves of course.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Melted honey, warm bourbon and some orange zest. A killer glaze.

Also if you can get hold of a hypodermic needle from your local doctor - inject the ham as deep as you can in a number of places with a little bourbon - before you put it into a hot oven for glazing.

I first tasted this at a friends home in Arkansas many years ago and this method has become a firm favourite in my circle of friends.

my husband, who only cooks meat, makes a combo of recipes by nigella and alton. he simmers the ham in cola then coats it in spicy mustard, bourbon, brown sugar, and smashed gingersnaps. it is delish.

I'm looking for a good recipe for a ham glaze to go on an inexpensive Cook's ham.  What's your favorite?

A good glaze is take a cup of the maraschino cherry juice and reduce by half,and add a pinch of ground clover,baste the ham with this,very good and e-z,otherwise im in the bourbon,brown sugar and orange zest boat

"Food is our common ground,a universal experience"

James Beard