• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Saltlik

dodger

Anyone know anything about a Saltlik opening in September??

I've seen the site...perused the menu...looks good!

John

It was the Law of the Sea, they said. Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top.

Hunter S. Thompson ---- R.I.P. 1939 - 2005

"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society."

--Mark Twain

Maybe "The Hype" can fill us in.

John

It was the Law of the Sea, they said. Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top.

Hunter S. Thompson ---- R.I.P. 1939 - 2005

"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society."

--Mark Twain

Saltlik *WARNING* Worst web design ever within. Don't blame me if you punch your monitor in because of some ditzy chick leaving her credit card behind.

I did have a friend eat at the Calgary branch recently, he enjoyed his meal immensly.

Saltlik is opening just after Labour Day in the former Bruce fashion retail space on Alberni between Burrard and Thurlow. It's a clear-span, two storey space and will accomodate about 220 seats. The lease rate appears to be very advantageous relative to similar comparable Thurlow and Robson properties, which includes two of the city's highest grossing restaurants, The Keg and Joe Fortes.

Saltlik is operated by Stewart Fuller and has operations in Banff and Calgary, both of which have been very succesful. Although billed as steakhouses, they have ample seafood. Two summers ago, at the Banff location, I had the best venison chop (with juniper berries) I've ever eaten.

Edited by jamiemaw (log)

from the thinly veneered desk of:

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

www.vancouvermagazine.com

Foodblog: In the Belly of the Feast - Eating BC

"Profumo profondo della mia carne"

Saltlik *WARNING* Worst web design ever within. Don't blame me if you punch your monitor in because of some ditzy chick leaving her credit card behind.

Damn you Keith!! That's one of the worst cases of Deadly Song Implant I've had in a while. Thanks to your link, I now have the freakin' theme song from The Rockford Files playing in my head. :hmmm::laugh:

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

LMAO!!!

I believe in colloquial terms that site would be called BRUTAL.

How about this little gem- "the saltlik is a renasent steakhouse that speaks to the casual market of our times" :wacko:

No doubt they mean 'renascent' which is defined as "surging or sweeping back again".

Still doesn't make much sense but maybe eating all that Alberta Beast don't do a person much good after all. :raz:

Edited by Sam Salmon (log)

Saltlik is opening just after Labour Day in the former Bruce fashion retail space on Alberni between Burrard and Thurlow. It's a clear-span, two storey space and will accomodate about 220 seats.

What an awesome space. I was waiting to see who was moving in there. Let's hope they make a decent go of it. Good luck to them.

I've been to the Banff Saltlik. Steaks are very good, the room pleasant and the service was sort of higher-end Earls. (Having done my BC-government-required-service stint at Earls I have nothing but respect for Earls girls and guys.) I still remember the tuna salad fondly. AMAZING location for their first Vancouver store.

Bob McLeod

VOX BACCULUS HIC VADIS IN VITRIO JUBILIAM

The road goes on forever and the party never ends