• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Spring has sprung

amccomb

I was hoping to have a spring feast highlighting as much spring produce as possible, so of course I would love to have a few desserts featuring seasonal items as well. However, I'm drawing a blank as to what's in season! I know mint is, so I could do something minty. I thought about strawberries, but they won't really be around until early summer and blueberries are more midsummer. I picture lemon with a spring meal, but I'm not sure if it's because of the bright sunny flavor or because lemons are really in season.

Any ideas for spring desserts?

Sigh... Where do you live? 2 spring related posts within a few minutes...

I'm staring out my window past the icesicles at the snow that is starting to melt now that the temperature has almost reached freezing. It has snowed ten inches in as many days and there is a forcast of a few more inches tonight.

Dirty piles of snow garnished with rock salt seems to be in season... :blink:

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

Sigh...  Where do you live?  2 spring related posts within a few minutes...

I'm staring out my window past the icesicles at the snow that is starting to melt now that the temperature has almost reached freezing.  It has snowed ten inches in as many days and there is a forcast of a few more inches tonight. 

I'm smack dab in the middle of Indiana. It's still really cold here, but I saw crocus this morning! Also, the grocery started carrying rhubarb again!

I totally forgot about rhubarb!

Dirty piles of snow garnished with rock salt seems to be in season...  :blink:

I can't stop laughing.....more snow forcast for later....or shall we call it a dusting of confectionary-snow flakes that makes everything look beautiful again!......

Happy Baking! Sarah Phillips, President and Founder, http://www.baking911.com

Spring? What is that? I just wish the mountains of snow would melt! :biggrin:

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I can't stop laughing.....more snow forcast for later....or shall we call it a dusting of confectionary-snow flakes that makes everything look beautiful again!......

yup , it's coming down here in wisconsin! :sad: This has to have been the longest winter ever! i think i'm suffering from SAD! :blink:

Spring?  What is that?  I just wish the mountains of snow would melt! :biggrin:

And another 5 cm or so tonight, Anna! I'm waiting for the big snowstorm that I'm sure will appear on moving day. So I'm not even thinking about spring desserts yet. I still want warm comfort foods.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Spring hey!! In the UK forced Rhubarb is a bout the only thing in season. Classic crumble, rhubarb and ginger creme brulee, rhubard tart the list is endless !!!!!

Other than that apples and pears are around in spring 2.

I should also clarify - I'm not planning on making my spring feast soon - probably in April. Will more things be in season then? If so, what?

Maybe for those of you with spring fever, helping me dream up some sunny spring desserts will help cheer you up!

So sorry y'all - I had planned lemon cookies (with fruit from my tree) but the temperature here in San Francisco is about 70 so I guess I'll have to make frothy lemonade gelatin.

Rhubarb is available and the farmer's market had strawberries on Saturday but they did not look really ready. Probably would have been OK in pie.

I sympathize with the snow haters - specially dislike those depressing grey heaps.

Sigh...  Where do you live?  2 spring related posts within a few minutes...

I'm staring out my window past the icesicles at the snow that is starting to melt now that the temperature has almost reached freezing.  It has snowed ten inches in as many days and there is a forcast of a few more inches tonight. 

Oh, I hear you! In my psyche, I am still living on the West Coast, but here all is still rather frigid and snowy, with more on the way. I want to have a spring cooking fling, but my customers are still desirous of wintry comfort food. Soon, I hope to be able to coax them into sorrel things, and bundles of asparagus, but not just yet, I'm afraid...

So sorry y'all - I had planned lemon cookies (with fruit from my tree) but the temperature here in San Francisco is about 70 so I guess I'll have to make frothy  lemonade gelatin.

(Show off!!!) Ok, I'm on my way.....

For spring desserts, there nothing like good old fashioned Strawberry Shortcakes piled a mile high with whipped cream (not ultrapasturized, right?? .....hehehehehe....)

Happy Baking! Sarah Phillips, President and Founder, http://www.baking911.com

Okay, I'm going to add a suggestion here, but it's not highly specific.

A few years ago I ran across a recipe in a magazine. I've made it several times, but I've had to adapt it because I couldn't find the exact ingredients the recipe called for. So here's a general description:

You need 4 pieces of spongecake or pound cake, the length and breadth of a loaf pan. When I was in a hurry on one occasion, I used a Sara Lee pound cake, and made 4 horizontal (parallel to bottom of loaf pan) slices. I think a light-colored cake looks best.

You also need mousse, perhaps vanilla or almond, or any flavor that compliments the remaining ingredients.

You need 3 kinds of fresh fruit.

Line a loaf pan with plastic wrap, allowing it to drape over the sides, for easier unmolding later. Line the bottom and the sides with cake, trimming to fit. Put about a 1/2 to 3/4 inch layer of mousse in the bottom. Cover the mousse with a layer of one kind of fruit. Next layer is mousse, next layer is another kind of fresh fruit, followed by more mousse, more fruit, and more mousse. Top with the last piece of cake and cover with excess plastic wrap. Refrigerate until firm. Unmold, discard plastic wrap, and set on a serving plate. Then slice as you would any loaf cake, so that you will see 3 rows of fruit surrounded by mousse and framed with cake.

This is good for not-quite-in-season fruit, which may have acceptable but not great flavor, which won't be noticed so much because of the mousse and the cake.

A lemon dacquoise would be pretty darn tasty (I made one last week -- I always forget how fabulous they are). Decorate it with some strawberries -- or rhubarb compote since you do have it currently available -- for a little color. And flavor!

joeyk2k: i am soooo envious. the forced rhubarb you have in the UK is so beautiful! and rhubarb crumble -- one of my all time favorite comfort foods.

kit

"I'm bringing pastry back"

Weebl

Spring?  What is that?  I just wish the mountains of snow would melt! :biggrin:

cute picture, Anna! is that you?

Once upon a time. :biggrin:

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Well, spring has definitely sprung in my neck of the woods. :rolleyes:

My lawn (pesticide free) is filled with pretty little violets. IF I found the patience I could candy them and use them as garnishes on cupcakes, whipped cream filled cream puffs, honey cakes, custards and candied lemon tarts.

And that's a mighty big IF.

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks

Spring desserts always make me think of lemon and strawberries. The first desserts I usually make for the season are for Easter. Lemon curd tart covered with sliced strawberries. Puff pastry shells filled with pastry cream and topped with strawberries. Lemon cheesecake. Lemon charlotte (ooooh -- I'm very much in a charlotte mood these days).

Of course, I'm spoiled here in San Francisco where it's supposed to be 80 today. But before you poor snow-bound sorts get too out of sorts, while you're basking in warm summer temps, lingering in back yards and porches in balmy twilight, I'll be shivering here in the fog.

"I just hate health food"--Julia Child

Jennifer Garner

buttercream pastries