• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sweet St. Patty's Day!

amccomb

A friend of mine throws a St. Patrick's Day party every year and I always try to bring a dessert for the occasion. I don't want to just frost something green and call it good, and I don't want to just flavor a cheesecake or something with Bailey's Irish Cream. In the past, I've made rhubarb pie with short crust, whiskey cake (spice cake with orange zest and currants and a whiskey glaze), scones, and a trifle.

Can anyone give me some new ideas for Irish desserts?

Thanks!

Simple - no cooking, but very tasty and light.

Irish Jig Dessert

Serves 6

Ingredients: 2 tablespoons whiskey

2 tablespoons sugar

1 teaspoon confectioner's sugar

2 cups heavy whipping cream

1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

1 cup coconut macaroons

Crush the macaroons and set aside. Be sure the whipping cream is thoroughly chilled, as well as the bowl and beater attachments. Mix all ingredients except the macaroons. Beat until stiff peaks form. Fold in 3/4 cup crushed macaroons. Spoon into 6-8 dessert glasses. Sprinkle with additional macaroons. Serve immediately.

Sometimes I add a little creme de menthe to give it a light green color.

Edited by rich (log)

Rich Schulhoff

Opinions are like friends, everyone has some but what matters is how you respect them!

Baba Au Jamesons? With a Guinness chocolate sauce or creme anglaise? Topped with white chocolate four leaf clovers with green food coloring?

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Betterbaking.com has a recipe for Irish Apple Cake with Guinness in celebration of St. Patrick's Day that looks pretty good. It's a white cake flavoured with Guinness and then has a mixture of sliced apples, raisins, toasted walnuts and cinnamon folded in. She recommends baking it in a bundt pan or a 10"springform. If you're interested and aren't a subscriber let me know and I'll PM you the recipe.

Edited by CanadianBakin' (log)

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

I thought I was very clever coming up with a cake filled with a Bailey's flavored mousse made with mycryo for the earthy crunch groceria. The regional president was in the store today, so they pulled one out of the case to sample and as I was leaving today a co-worker was digging into the remains of it and commented that it "tasted like tiramisu!" Damn!