• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Leftover Chinese Duck

baranoouji

:erm: I've been laid up with bronchitis for the last two weeks, and my sister tried to cheer me up by bringing a full-blown roasted Chinese duck.

The problem is, I can't swallow anything that isn't the consistency of pudding or soup, so I couldn't do the dish justice. I also have absolutely no stamina for cooking right now.

Right now, the duck sits forlornly in my fridge, uneaten. Can it be saved? What can I do with it? It seems such a waste.

I'd take the meat off the bone and wrap it in plastic wrap tightly, then put it in a ziploc freezer bag and freeze it. Save any crispy skin, ditch any flabby skin unless you want to fry it up later.

When you're ready, thaw it out and do anything you want. Easy to make some Peking style duck, chop up the meat and warm it up in a pan, either make some chinese pancakes or cheat with tortillas, roll up duck and shredded green onions in pancakes with hoisin souce.

Also easy to mix duck, whatever asian type sauce you like, saureed green onion, cilantro, ginger, and rice noodles.

I'd take the meat off the bone and wrap it in plastic wrap tightly, then put it in a ziploc freezer bag and freeze it.  Save any crispy skin, ditch any flabby skin unless you want to fry it up later.

When you're ready, thaw it out and do anything you want.  Easy to make some Peking style duck, chop up the meat and warm it up in a pan, either make some chinese pancakes or cheat with tortillas, roll up duck and shredded green onions in pancakes with hoisin souce.

Also easy to mix duck, whatever asian type sauce you like, saureed green onion, cilantro, ginger, and rice noodles.

Thank you so much for the tip! Wasting perfectly delicious food makes me sad, and now my duck can await a future rendezvous. :wub:

Pull the meat off the bones and put it into freezer bags, then throw the carcass into the freezer to use for soup stock later.

The pulled roasted meat can then be used for Vietnamese summer rolls, tossed into a salad, thrown into soup, spring rolls, etc.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Shred the meat, freeze and use it for roast duck and sun-dried tomato pasta later.

You can use the carcass for duck soup with some pork bones, preserved mustard greens, tofu and tomatoes (wedges) - it makes a really good pick-me-up soup.

The duck would make a great addition to a bowl of ramen. Duck fried rice is also a great way to use the leftover pieces of duck.

Thank you. That's exactly what happened to the little bitty pieces that didn't make it into "ducquitos."

I just wanted to send a great big "THANK YOU!" to everyone who so thoughtfully posted suggestions to my dilemma. There were a lot of really great future dinner ideas thrown around.

My throat has started to feel much better, so I was actually able to spring into culinary action yesterday evening. As it happened, I dismantled Mr. Duck, warmed up some scallion pancakes, and made some rice. I fried the duck bits in some duck fat, and served them up with hoisin sauce and rice for a "duck burrito."

Regrettably, there really weren't enough bones to save for stock. I think I'll have to start getting Chinese duck routinely so that I can save up a goodly number.

Once again, thank you eGulleteers, for coming to my rescue. :wub:

-Fondly,

E.