• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Smoke Meat Petes

winegeek

I just arrived from Vancouver a few hours ago and after a brief rest stop, headed to Smoke Meat Petes in, I think, Ile Perot. I have heard comparisons to Schwartz's and having lived in Montreal for 27 years and been a huge schwartz's fan, was anxious to check it out. The results are in.........fantastic!! Pete used to be a cutter at schwartz and has done himself proud. Very comparable to Schwartz's without the lineup and the fries were first rate. Maybe a local can chime in and give us some background on this spot. Well worth the visit! There is also live music on week ends. Not fancy by any means but we did get our own table :laugh: .

Derek

I have recently moved to the west island, and I second the moyion of smoked meat Pete's. It is on par with any smoked meat anywhere. It is simply fantastic.

I just have to discipline myself to go only once a month. Atmousphere is kind of cool also.

I just arrived from Vancouver a few hours ago and after a brief rest stop, headed to Smoke Meat Petes in, I think, Ile Perot.  I have heard comparisons to Schwartz's  and having lived in Montreal for 27 years and been a huge schwartz's fan, was anxious to check it out.  The results are in.........fantastic!! Pete used to be a cutter at schwartz and has done himself proud.  Very comparable to Schwartz's without the lineup  and the fries were first rate.  Maybe a local can chime in and give us some background on this spot.  Well worth the visit! There is also live music on week ends.  Not fancy by any means but we did get our own table  :laugh: .

Pete Varvaro Jr. is son of The Main(opposite Schwartz's) founder/owner Pete Varvaro Sr.. Pete never worked at Schwartz's. His fries won the 'Best Fries in Montreal' contest in the Montreal Gazette 4+ years ago. He first opened Smoked Meat Pete around 1997 at a different much smaller location also in Ile Perot, and moved to his current location in 2000. I like his smoked meat very much. Personally the most important thing, is getting smoked meat with lots of fat(always order it medium-fat). Medium is too lean for me.

-Steve

Edited by SteveW (log)

During last years SM marathon we really wanted to rate SM Pete's but never made is since after George's in Laval we headed to Abie's on St. Jeans with thoughts of hitting Ile Perrot afterwards ... but the snow flurries & distance to Ile Perrot got the better of us & we decided to call it a day. I work on the WI & many colleagues swear by Pete's so they must be doing something right.

Smoked Meat Pete's is good. I would definatly say I prefer Schwartz's. The french fries are good but when I have had them I found them just alittle too greasy but they did have a nice crunch and taste. Their fries are unlike lafleur's fries which are usually a soggy greasy mess, I never order them.

I would say I prefere Smoked meat Pete's than the Snowdon deli.

If I were to schlep out to the West Island I would go to Abie's which is very similar to Schwartz's If not the same.

There is one thing that bugs me about Pete's, I find the place to be smokey(food smoke) and not very tidey. I prefer it to be more neat.

Hey Poutine you are making me start to dream of of Gluttonfest 2005. I am not sure if it should be a themed event or just the best of... event.

Hmmm What should it be..

Pizza

Ice cream

Submarines

Souvlaki

Roti

Poutine

Burgers

Pastery

etc.....

Smoked Meat Pete's is good.  I would definatly say I prefer Schwartz's.  The french fries are good but when I have had them I found them just alittle too greasy but they did have a nice crunch and taste.  Their fries are unlike lafleur's fries which are usually a soggy greasy mess, I never order them.

I would say I prefere Smoked meat Pete's than the Snowdon deli.

If I were to schlep out to the West Island I would go to Abie's which is very similar to Schwartz's If not the same.

There is one thing that bugs me about Pete's, I find the place to be smokey(food smoke) and not very tidey.  I prefer it to be more neat. 

Hey Poutine you are making me start to dream of of Gluttonfest 2005.  I am not sure if it should be a themed event or just the best of... event.

Hmmm  What should it be..

Pizza

Ice cream

Submarines

Souvlaki

Roti

Poutine

Burgers

Pastery

etc.....

Glad to see that you made it out to Smoke Meat Pete's at some point. When we all parted after the SM Marathon a year ago, we hoped that you would sample SMP's offerings. Now we have the report.

As for another glutton festival, I would love to make it, but I suspect I won't be able to get up to Montreal.

While I often eat Snowdon Del's smoked meat because of its convenience, I don't think it is in the Schwartz's league. Of course it is better than the Main.

• 2 weeks later...
As for another glutton festival, I would love to make it, but I suspect I won't be able to get up to Montreal. 

He's dumped us for Hawaii, gang, faster than you can say tabarnouche.

Oh, come on. Is that a serious contest in early March? After all when I was in Hawaii, elle ne pas encore est arrivee.

Now that the maple taffy is flowing into the ice cream, I may have to head up north. Here in the States quite apart from the absence of maple taffy ice cream, there is hardly any maple taffy. I have identified one supplier in New Hampshire and I will see if I can churn up some at home.

Edited by VivreManger (log)

Yah!

What’s the best think you poured maple syrup over?

I always found eggs poached in maple syrup was always kind of neat!!

Opps this is a smoked meat thread!!

Brisket cured with maple syrup MMMMM.

Maybe I should try a Smoked meat Pete's doused in some.