• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Well-Sweep Herb Farm

Liza: we are doing our garden too. Maybe after you are done with him we can all go out?

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Jason, Brilliant idea, but we're going to the theatre after gardening next weekend so time is limited. But I'm hoping to convince my dad to check out Stokes Farm in Old Tappan, as I've gotten to know a few of their managers at the NYC greenmarkets. Also, I'll be getting some tomato plants from Ted Blew / High Hope Hogs on Friday so feel free to put in your order, Jason!

Well-Sweep is an amazing place to buy herbs.  I only go once a year because I always over-spend by many $$$.  Who can buy only one type of rosemary when you have 30 to choose from?  Most of our backyard is now overgrown with creeping thymes, because I went one year with my husband who decided on the spot that he was going to become the world's leading authority on ground covers.

On the way back, if you are heading south on 31, you should check out a new farm stand in Hunterdon County, about two miles south of the Rtes. 31 and 78 intersection, on 513.  It's on the right going south, and is impossible to miss.  They don't have much there right now, but what they do have is fantastic.  Yesterday I bought "just picked" asparagus, still dripping thin sap, and without a trace of woodiness.  They also have eggs from their own chickens who are running around the yard.  Later in the season they will be selling only produce from their farm, which looks meticulously maintained.  Most of the other stands around here buy from around the state, and while of course there is nothing wrong with that, I think this place will have the freshest produce of all.

• 2 weeks later...

Agree with Pitter on Well-Sweep, an amazing place. Incredible variety, and each year they expand another 100 feet out into the meadow.  You can drop $100 on herbs in a blink. Most are in the $3 - $5 range.

Their basil and rosemary assortments are extensive, a dozen different rosemary choices, lots of rosemary, and a very carefully constructed herb display garden which is easily 200 feet long and twenty feet wide

Choices will continue to expand into May and June as local suppliers drop off new materials to supplement on-site growth.

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo