• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

oatmeal raisin cookies

nicolekaplan

You could try my recipe: http://www.food-lists.com/lists/archives/c.../1082777940.php They forgot to mention to use unbleached all-purpose flour and when measuring the flour, to spoon it into the measuring cup and to level to top, which I print with all of my recipes! (Grrr.....)

Edited by Sarah Phillips (log)

Happy Baking! Sarah Phillips, President and Founder, http://www.baking911.com

this may be sacrilege, but i'm not that big a fan of the whole rolled oats in oatmeal cookies. so what i do is grind some of the oats in my blender for a finer texture, and incorporate them like that. i also keep some oats whole for texture, too. oh, and the recipe of choice is the quaker oats one. and if you're not fond of raisins, another alternative is dried cranberries.

I like to use quick oats instead of regular oats. I prefer the texture that way. The recipe on the Quaker Oats canister is fine, though my personal favorite is in _The Good Cookie_ by Tish Boyle. I don't have the book with me though, so I can't quite remember what the differences are.

When my daughter was home on break from college two weeks ago, she told me that a friend had made the best oatmeal cookies with chocolate covered raisins. Sounds good to me.

I haven't made oatmeal cookies in a while and I use the Quaker recipe as well. When I did make them, I always added chocolate chips not raisins.

I came up with this recipe the other day, and I've only made it once but it turned out good. It's for Banana Chocolate Chip Oatmeal cookies. I was jonesin' for oatmeal cookies, but also banana bread so I decided to combine them. There's nothing exceptional about the ingredients or proportions, but they're quite tastey.

Banana Oatmeal Choc. Chip Cookies

1 cup whole wheat pastry flour

2 1/2 cups old fashioned oats

1/2 tsp baking powder

1/2 tsp baking soda

1/2 tsp salt

Sift all dry ingredients together

ginger

allspice

cinnamon

nutmeg cayenne

chipotle

These are all dry and ground. I didn't really measure any of them so it's really to taste, but for the most part it was about 2 pinches of each except for the cinnamon which was more like 2 to 3 tsp. These can all be sifted with the other dry ingredients.

1/4 cup butter (1 stick)

1/2 cup granulated sugar

1/2 cup turbinado sugar (raw sugar)

1 egg

1/8 cup maple syrup

1/8 cup honey

1 tsp vanilla extract

2 overripe bananas (like for banana bread)

3/4 cup choc. chips

Combine all the wet ingredients in a standard creaming method then add the banana at the end. Mix the wet into the dry and then fold in the choc. chips. Bake on a parchment lined sheet pan @ 350 degrees for about 10 to 14 minutes, depending on the size of the cookies. I'm sure you could add raisins without much difficulty.

Welcome to the site, jheinecke! I'll have to try your cookie recipes shortly.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Here's my favorite:

½ lb. butter, softened but still firm

7 oz./ 200 g. sugar

3 ¾ oz./108 g. brown sugar Beat on 1 with paddle until pale yellow and light.

2 eggs

1 tsp. vanilla Add eggs one at a time and then vanilla. Beat on 2 till fluffy.

6 ½ oz./180 g. oatmeal Mix into batter.

6 ½ oz/180 g. pastry flour

½ tsp. baking soda

½ tsp. cinnamon

¼ tsp. allspice

¼ tsp. cloves Mix in separate bowl, then combine with batter.

1 c. raisins Stir into batter. Scoop out onto parchment covered sheet pan and freeze. Bake frozen at 350 until mostly brown (10-12 min.)

We use a convection oven, so you might want to raise your oven temp a little if you want your cookies to be thick.

Ouaker Oats recipe for me too. I'm not all that fond of raisins but my local farmer's market has a vendor who sells mixed "cut" dried fruit - apricots, peaches and pears nixed with raising and cherries which I use instead of all raisins. I also add a little nutmeg and maybe walnuts if I feeling extravagant.

oooh, jheinecke, thank you! i have overripe bananas on my counter and have been trying to come up with something more inspiring than banana bread... i shall have to try those...

has anyone tried steel cut oats in cookies? i bought some recently because I had a recipe that required them and now i can't find that recipe (just moved, my life is in boxes) or any other recipe that specifically calls for steel cut oats... so now i have oats without a cause... :unsure:

Wow, so many new recipe to check out. I'll add one to the mix........I just made a new one I liked ALOT (will be my new standard recipe for this). It's a recipe offered by a reader in Martha Stewarts little magazine. The reader adds chocolate chunks with the raisins and no cinnamon spices. But it's a really nice moist oatmeal cookie recipe that you can tweek any which way. (I'll have to look for a link to this recipe, give me a day to find it, work is calling)

Also, I want to welcome Jheinecke!!

Edited to add: I couldn't find a dirrect link to the recipe I mentioned. Here's the recipe put into my own words, per eG Society policy.

Chocolate Raisin Oatmeal Cookies, from Everyday Food magazine.

1.5 cups flour

1 tsp. soda

1 tsp. salt

1 c. butter

.75 c. br. sugar

.75 c. sugar

2 eggs

1 tsp. vanilla

2.5 c. rolled oats

1.5 c. raisins

12 oz. semi-sweet chocolate chunks or chips

Mix this like a standard cookie recipe, making sure you don't over mix the batter once the flour is added (you don't want to create extra gluten). They bake these in a 375F oven, I used a 350F oven instead. I like these underbaked so they remain very soft and moist but you can bake them longer if you desire a crisper cookie. Though if I wanted a crisp oatmeal cookie I personally would turn to a different recipe altogether.

• 3 months later...

I've adapted the recipe I got off the back of a package of raisins...here's my recipe.

1 cup of shortening

2/3 cup of brown sugar

2/3 cup of granulated sugar

1 tsp. baking soda

1/2 tsp. salt

1/2 tsp. baking powder

1 cup flour

2.5 cups quick-cooking oats

1 tsp. vanilla

2 tsp. cinnamon

2 eggs

1 1/4 cup raisins

Bake at 350 for about 11 minutes. Makes about 24 generously-sized cookies.

I am happily eating them now... :wub:

Edited by Ling (log)

I use the CI recipe, which is basically the same as the Quaker Oats recipe. The last time I made them, I added zest from one medium lemon. I loved it, and so did everyone else who ate them. I will always add the zest from now on.

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

I've stopped using cinnamon or any spice in my oatmeal cookies.

:wacko::biggrin: SACRILEGE! Personally, I believe Oatmeal cookies to be a Cinnamon Delivery System! I use the Vietnamese Cinnamon from Penzeys :wub: just to be sure that everyone within a three block radius KNOWS I'm cooking with cinnamon!

I LOVE oatmeal cookies, my favorite! Screw chocolate chip, oatmeal is KING! This thread (and egullet in general) are going to undo all the good 2 years of working out has done! I had to make oatmeal cookies [insert hornkin' great quantities of saliva]! I tried the one on the Old Fashioned Oats lid, except I upped the sugars by a little. "How much" you ask? "I don't really know ... about 1/8 - 1/4 cup for each sugar," I say. "That's not particularly scientific," you say. "Ahhh ... but I am a science teacher by trade and this is summer, so I am going to give myself a pass," I say. So there!

Interestingly the cookies are VERY crispy on the outside and nice and chewy on the inside. Paradoxically, my wife (who belongs to the commie Chocolate Chip fan club) really liked 'em; I, however, thought they were just okay [NOTE: this has in NO WAY stopped me from consuming about a dozen or so in the last day]. I prefer my oatmeal cookies to be all chewy. I had a recipe from Gourmet magazine years ago that was my all-time favorite (no raisins, lots of cinnamon, nice and chewy); but I am a complete idiot/slob and managed to lose it. :sad:

As soon as I polish off this batch I am going to try one of these posted here. Does anyone have any suggestions? The banana, the lemon zest, Ling's, mkfradin's ... any advice?

I'm with Patrick on the CI recipe. I'm not (or wasn't) a big oatmeal raisin cookie fan but they are delicious! I don't use any spice and I haven't tried lemon zest yet but it sounds good.

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

I use the CI recipe, which is basically the same as the Quaker Oats recipe. The last time I made them, I added zest from one medium lemon. I loved it, and so did everyone else who ate them. I will always add the zest from now on.

I made a batch last night with the Quaker Oats recipe and subbed dried cherries instead of raisins. I added lemon zest as recommended and it is fabulous. Thanks!

There is a recipe from the Union Square Cafe cookbook for oatmeal and chocolate chip cookies, I took out the chips and substituted it for raisins and replaced 1/4 cup of oatmeal with 1/4 cup of chopped walnuts, used egg whites instead of whole eggs for optimal chewiness. Seemed to work fine and my friend sold 150 cookies at the local church sale in less than an hour.

There was a oatmeal, raisin and walnut cookie from the old Bouley's bakery that turned me on to this but I'm not sure if they still do it.

Ya-Roo Yang aka "Bond Girl"

The Adventures of Bond Girl

I don't ask for much, but whatever you do give me, make it of the highest quality.