• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Undercooked Food

shelora

I'd question whether seared tuna was devised in the UK,

Highly doubtful that it was invented in the UK. :laugh:

Hawaii or California.

Or Japan? Or is tuna tataki an import from the US to Japan?

They could have happened simultaneously or independently.

But I think the idea of calling it seared tuna with various sauces is a Californian or Hawaiian invention.

For my personal preference, as far as the cooking of vegetables, because I grew up mostly eating canned vegetables and sometimes frozen ones, those being cheaper and more plentiful in the area where I lived, I far prefer fresh vegetables that are very lightly cooked now. Asian styles of quickly stir-frying vegetables are the ones I like best. In my adulthood, I've been surprised to learn that it wasn't actually a certain vegetable that I didn't like, but rather the mushy version of that vegetable that repulsed me.

(finally reading this thread, pardon the late reply)

i was in the same position for a long time--having grown up with frozen (and not the new IQF kind of frozen) vegetables or severely overcooked fresh ones, i left things practically raw for years and years.

but recently i've been cooking vegetables more. not overcooked, but not quite crisp, either. it started with french green beans and brussels sprouts, and i've moved on to carrots and several others. i'm not sure why this has happened.

Re: the people who don't know what sashimi or seared or whatever is: why wouldn't they ask, if they don't know?

I am pretty confident finding my way around a menu in English, French, or Italian, but when I don't know something or just blank on "courgette" (actually, I never blank on courgette as I loathe courgettes) I don't mind asking. If I don't understand and order anyway, then I consider that I am stuck with it, and it's my bad and not the kitchen's. I'll eat around it if I can't stand it. Was I raised differently or something?

Like the moule story above, sometimes you end up getting something new that you will love.

I like my beef medium-rare, my pork, the way the chef does it, my veal (chop) maybe a little more done than the chef does it (don't know why), chicken just done, and you can braise me anything and I will love it. I like my tuna steaks seared and my sashimi raw :wink:

Vegetables...it varies, but please cook my potatoes through. I really don't like crunchy squash. I like a bit of tooth in most green vegetables though. If I happen to saute rather than steam bok choy it makes me very sad if I leave them on that minute too long...

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies