• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

el bulli stage 2004

Hi to all! Ive recently posted some photos from my stage last year at el bulli in the gallery section. Im not sure how to link them directly but theyre there in the galleries. I have many more and will post more when I get time. Im very busy working at restaurant Maestro in Virginia with the amazingly talented chef, Fabio Trabocchi, and it's highly demanding.

Thanks for posting those pix, really incredible!

Question, if I may...

The setup with all of those plastic syringe type things.

Is that used to drop the alginated substances into solution?

looking forward to more, if you have them.

BTW, did you work all stations?

It would be great if you could elaborate.

Thanks again.

2317/5000

gallery_14781_913_295350.jpg

What was being done to these morels? Were they simply being dried?

Great photos! Thanks for sharing them.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

the syringe setup is used for making the caviars, with alginato. the droplets of alginato mixture fall into the water with calcium chloride which are then removed and rinsed. those morels are being hung after being dipped in kappa, a gelatin, we had to hang them so that the stem was open because then we were filling them with more gelatin, which was mushroom stock flavored with thyme. they were used for a dish of morels in escabeche. i mainly worked on the fish station but due to the complexity of all the dishes our participation was necessary in all aspects of the preparation. from shucking oysters to final garnishing of plates.

. . . we had to hang them so that the stem was open because then we were filling them with more gelatin, which was mushroom stock flavored with thyme.  . . .

Aspic in mushrooms. Delightfully backwards.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

sorry guys but i was downloading some more flix and hit the button twice so they downloaded twice. for some reason i cant delete them. im not good with these computer things, thats why im a cook. one of my favorites i put on is the family of pajaros, birds, that were living in our dry storage area.

Thanks for the reply, and the great pix, again!

I went out and got some of those syringes( for oral use, maybe for babys, one buck at CVS) and they worked perfectly, of course, for some passion fruit/saffron and prickly pear "caviars" for a fruit parfait we're working on.

Thanks again.

edited to add and ask:

On the new snaps...

Is that a canister of LN2 and it's product in the lead pic?

And is tthat a faux "macaroon" in another simarly plated item down the way?

Great pic of the "New Testament" of pastry. gotta love it!

Edited by tan319 (log)

2317/5000

i think that the lead pic is one form of alginato and a example of the powder on the black stone. for some reason the label is un readable in the photo that i downloaded. i have pictures of all the chemicals in the jar and out and i posted this one as an example. the macaroon is a genuine macaroon, recipe courtesy of pierre herme's creative chef. he came to el bulli for 2 weeks last year to exchange ideas and recipes. we immediately started serving the authentic macaroons for a pre dessert. a tribute to ferran's open mind and appreciation for all things culinary. the albert adria "book" is actually a small box for the mignardise served at the finale of the meal. i heve more than 1000 photos including every plate, spoon, stone, and receptacles used. not to mention all the party flix.

here are the syringes in action. (must have realplayer)

or quicktime.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

Damn, that was NICE!

Thank you very much, artisanbaker, for the link.

I love the ingenuity of these guys, that setup is so...rustic?

But effective and it works.

Swell stuff.

Thanks again.

nice pix!

ted,

here are the syringes in action. (must have realplayer)

http://starchefs.com/events/lo_mejor_de_la...r_f_adria.shtml

Edited by tan319 (log)

2317/5000

Ahh..so this is how they make the famous apple caviar! It reminds me of 'bondhi' we used to make in India..only the 'caviar' is made from besan batter and is crunchy..because it is fried instead of the calcium choloride solution....it is the base for both spicy and sweet nibbles.

wow cool video. to see it in person under the pressure of service is a lot different but you get the just of it. anyone interested really must try this technique, because once you try it, you realize how amazingly similar the texture is to true caviar. and this is a similar technique used to create the larger spherications that resemble egg yolks. and even larger spherications that have an egg yolk captured inside that look like a poached egg. green eggs and ham anyone? try a pea soup sphere with an egg yolk inside served with air of jamon iberico, its kind of surreal!!

i never heard that a stagiaire was ever allowed to make photos........?!? respect

one question as i already did the "caviar" at home. don´t you think that the alginato is "killing" about 50 % of the actual flavour? I would recommend to make the caviar with "gellan" which is quiet tasteless compare to the alginato.

Edited by vue_de_cuisine (log)

from our own experiments I would suggest that you have to play around wih it.

You can't just follow the recipe( if you did) but taste it and if you feel it's too solid add more juice to it.

Having said that, I do agree with the above that the texture is very much like caviar.

2317/5000

Hi to all! Ive recently posted some photos from my stage last year at el bulli in the gallery section.  Im not sure how to link them directly but theyre there in the galleries.  I have many more and will post more when I get time.  Im very busy working at restaurant Maestro in Virginia with the amazingly talented chef, Fabio Trabocchi, and it's highly demanding.

Fabio, despite being nominated twice for the James Beard Rising Star award, has not received the recognition he deserves in the U. S. I sincerely believe he is the equal of Missimiliano from Le Calandre who is the youngest three Michelin star chef ever. Maestro is an extraordinary experience that many on this board should take advantage of; Fabio is in his prime.

i think that the lead pic is one form of alginato and a example of the powder on the black stone.  for some reason the label is un readable in the photo that i downloaded.  i have pictures of all the chemicals in the jar and out and i posted this one as an example.  the macaroon is a genuine macaroon, recipe courtesy of pierre herme's creative chef.  he came to el bulli for 2 weeks last year to exchange ideas and recipes.  we immediately started serving the authentic macaroons for a pre dessert.  a tribute to ferran's open mind and appreciation for all things culinary.  the albert adria "book" is actually a small box for the mignardise served at the finale of the meal.  i heve more than 1000 photos including every plate, spoon, stone, and receptacles used.  not to mention all the party flix.

I hope not ALL the party flix. I can't wait to see your pix. Take care and hope to see you soon.