• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dilemma

Hi Shaun, A set of linked questionettes, which kind of link up to make one big fat question.

Obviously you run a tight ship at your restaurant, and the number of diners is strictly limited. Fantastic, as we can reap the benefits of wonderful dishes prepared by your own fair hand. Ok, compliments over with.

So whats your life all about? Do you cook for yourself (and friends and family), in which case why bother with the hassle of paying customers at all? Or do you want to share your gift with the world, in which case expand, grow, spread the message?

Obviously you have chosen a balance between these two extremes which satisfies you (30-40 covers, single dining room, no kitchen crew), but do you feel any hankering to tip one way or the other?

It's all true... I admit to being the MD of Holden Media, organisers of the Northern Restaurant and Bar exhibition, the Northern Hospitality Awards and other Northern based events too numerous to mention.

I don't post here as frequently as I once did, but to hear me regularly rambling on about bollocks - much of it food and restaurant-related - in a bite-size fashion then add me on twitter as "thomhetheringto".

The current set up suits me though it was wished on me by circumstances and lack of cash. I don't feel trapped into the kitchen because it costs me little to close up if I need to be somewhere else. In practice of course I do this only four or five times a year apart from holidays.

Every so often I feel it would be good to have a different set up so that I could make a different repetoire of dishes - the sort of stuff which would be awkward single handed but quite feasible with a small brigade. But the feeling has never lasted long enough for me to do anything about it. I do of course cook up ideas for British Airways and their set up couldn't be more different, bulk cooking in advance and reheating on board.

I cook for money for otherwise I would have a spot of problem with my bank. Sadly

Also I like the free travel that comes with the work