• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

San Juan Capistrano and surroundings

Lois

I'm heading to San Juan Capistrano in a couple of weeks, with my mom. It's her 60th birthday, and she wanted to go and see the swallows return. (Her birthday falls on the same day as their annual return, and, as she put it, "I've been hearing about these damn swallows my whole life, I might as well go see them.") My brother and I want to take her out for a nice dinner on that evening, but I don't know the area at all. We'll have a car and we're willing to drive a little ways, but would prefer not to trek all the way to Los Angeles or San Diego. Any recommendations for the area we'll be staying in?

It doesn't have to be fancy by any means, but I'm not looking for dives or chain restaurants. We're completely open on type of food, but I don't know the area at all and have no idea what's good, bad, or indifferent, so any suggestions would be welcome.

It's not fancy, but El Adobe has been in business for over 50 years; the building is over 175 years old !

It's one of the few remnants of Old San Juan (surviving the "improved" San Juan Capistrano).

It might be worth a stop before it's turned into a coffee house or sushi bar.

For Bangkok eats, check out my Cheap Eats Bangkok

I haven't beeen to L'Hirondelle since the new owners took over. Prior to then, there was nothing "wrong" with it--it had just gotten a little tired for me.

It did occur to me--if you'll be around for breakfast or lunch, you can't beat the Ramos House Cafe. I'll check for a website. Sadly they aren't open for dinner.

Deb

Liberty, MO

Thanks, everyone. My mom picked Iva Lee's for dinner and we all like the sound of Ramos House Cafe for brunch one day. I'll report back after the trip, so long as those swallows don't peck out my eyes or anything.

Thanks, everyone. My mom picked Iva Lee's for dinner and we all like the sound of Ramos House Cafe for brunch one day. I'll report back after the trip, so long as those swallows don't peck out my eyes or anything.

If you are a good girl, be sure to pick up an "I sat in my chair and kept my mouth shut, at the Ramos House Cafe" T-shirt!

If you are a good girl, be sure to pick up an "I sat in my chair and kept my mouth shut, at the Ramos House Cafe" T-shirt!

It's funny b/c I know they make a big deal about kids keeping quiet at Ramos House ("unruly children will be ground up and fed to General Sherman [the cat]" -- or something like that), but I've definitely experienced children causing a ruckus there and no one ever says anything.

Anyways, try the pain perdu if you go (especially if it's blackberry that day) -- delicious!

Olimendi's in Capistrano Beach (I think the address really is Dana Point, but it's Capistrano Beach to me).

It's on the Coast Hwy just south of Dana Point proper. Very good Mexican food across PCH from the beach. It's family owned, and has an "interesting decor." Everything from tacos to interesting fish dishes at reasonable prices. I've been going there for years and it's been there a lot longer than I've been going there. Nixon used to go there, but don't let that deter you. :smile:

Heh, I'm not sure I can get my mom to go somewhere Nixon used to go.

The only kid we'll be bringing to Ramos House Cafe is sure to be quiet, because she's in utero. She might kick a bit, but nobody will notice but me.

Thanks again for the tips!

Olimendi's in Capistrano Beach (I think the address really is Dana Point, but it's Capistrano Beach to me).

It's on the Coast Hwy just south of Dana Point proper.  Very good Mexican food across PCH from the beach.  It's family owned, and has an "interesting decor." 

I used to love their chili relleno burritos and potato tacos!

I haven't been for many years

Back when smoking was allowed in restaurants, I always wondered who would buy those "pretty" dresses hanging from the ceiling (yes, they were for sale!).

Between the tobacco and food, I doubt you could ever wash the stink out.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, everyone, for the recommendations. We had a great (if pricey) brunch at Ramos House. I had crab hash and some beignets--very yummy. And Iva Lee's was really fun, too. My mom loved her dinner and seemed to have a very happy birthday.