• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chef has discovered an enzyme - The Sequel

schneich

hi,

after watching what can be done with enzymes i got a little curious about what else can be done with them. i found quite a lot of really nice applications of which one is a product called "peelzyme" which is used in the fruit industry to perfectly peel citrus fruits. i ordered myself a bottle and did a few experiments with it today. these are the results which consist of lime, orange and pink grapefruit:

gallery_11197_645_588354.jpg

gallery_11197_645_330822.jpg

gallery_11197_645_237187.jpg

gallery_11197_645_171659.jpg

gallery_11197_645_137328.jpg

toertchen toertchen

patissier chocolatier cafe

cologne, germany

My goodness, those are beautiful photos! How does this enzyme effect the consistency of the fruit?

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

Had to find out more on "peelzymes" and came across this which was most helpful:

These appealing products have become possible thanks to enzymatic peeling for which Novo Nordisk Ferment in Switzerland has developed a range of preparations called Peelzym. This is how Peelzym works for citrus fruits. Firstly, the surface is scored or pierced to penetrate the albedo. This is the white pith just under the flavedo (colored surface layer) of the peel. The fruit is then `vacuum infused' with an aqueous solution containing Peelzym.  After an incubation period of just 10-20 minutes, the peel can be removed easily by hand. The main users of Peelzym today are in the catering business such as companies preparing airline meals.
scroll down on the Novozymes.com page... right side

The fruit in your pictures looks beautiful ... pith-free and rind-free :biggrin:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

I love those words "albedo" and "flavedo", especially the latter. I never heard them before.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

thanks...

basically the piercing and vaccumthing didnt work for me... i tried it with my foodsaver with not soo good results. what i did was just peel the fruit as normal and then throw it into a 2% peelzym solution for 2h and the wash away the skinz under flowing cold water...

t.

toertchen toertchen

cologne, germany

Awesome. This enzyme would be perfect for preparing an orange tart. The last (and first) time I made an orange tart, I quickly learned that removing all traces of bitter pith is virtually impossible, and way too time-consuming to be worthwhile.

I didn't know the word albedo was also used to refer to a part of fruit. It is used in climatology to refer to the reflectivity of a surface.

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

I too am surprised to see that use of the word "albedo"; it means the same in planetology as it does in climatology.

The appearance of the fruit is beautiful. What does the peelzyme do to the flavor?

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

I too am surprised to see that use of the word "albedo"; it means the same in planetology as it does in climatology.

The appearance of the fruit is beautiful.  What does the peelzyme do to the flavor?

I found one research article that compared peelzym-peeled mandarin oranges to hand-peeled oranges with respect to 'sensory qualities,' and the peelzym segments were judged to be preferable. I would guess that by removing more of the "albedo," the taste is sweeter.

Liu et al, 2004. EFFECTS OF ENZYME-AIDED PEELING ON THE QUALITY OF LOCAL MANDARIN (CITRUS RETICULATA B.) SEGMENTS. Journal of Food Processing & Preservation 28 (5), 336-347.

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

Great Pics!! As an amateur food photographer (and I do mean amateur), those are amazing shots...

This stuff sounds cool, wonder if they will send a school teacher a sample!!??

Tonyy13

Owner, Big Wheel Provisions

tony_adams@mac.com

I have always puzzled about how they get those little mandarin orange segments in the can so perfect. I think I know now. I want some of that stuff.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

That's almost eerily beautiful. I'm almost worried that those fruit slices would have risen up and taken over the world had you not eaten them, which I hope for the future of our civilization you did.

Matt Robinson

Prep for dinner service, prep for life! A Blog

congratulations for innovative application of industrial food science. photos are beautiful

couldn't you make a flavored peelzyme solution (sirop?) therefore raw confiting the fruits cold by virtue of the pressure, and make instant fruit segment confit?

There appears to be a sales office in the US in North Carolina. This page can point you to other sales offices as well.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

O.K. so you peel it, soak it, and then do you still have to seperate the segments or does the entire sphere disolve?

"He could blanch anything in the fryolator and finish it in the microwave or under the salamander. Talented guy."

once the globe has soaked enough to loose its skin, you wash the mushy stuff away. then pull apart the segments carefully and soak again for a few minutes since the sideskins arent connected to the "meat" they can be pulled quite easily now. one grapefruit takes about 2-3 minutes...

cheers

t.

toertchen toertchen

cologne, germany

:wink: wow that stuff is cool

just what i been looking for

but two questions

1. how much does this stuff cost to buy?

2. and is it hazardous?? i mean in concentration? inhalation etc?

"so tell me how do you bone a chicken?"

"tastes so good makes you want to slap your mamma!!"

. . . . .

2. and is it hazardous?? i mean in concentration? inhalation etc?

I am guessing that it is some form of pectinase or cellulase, naturally occuring enzymes. It shouldn't be hazardous . . . unless you are a houseplant. (Come to think of it, I have some acquaintances that think like houseplants. :laugh: )

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

Peelzym is indeed a pectinase (i.e. an enzyme that degrades pectin). I can't find any studies specifically testing Peelzym specifically for toxicity, there are studies testing the toxicity and mutagenicity of pectinase-rich enzyme solutions derived from the bacteria Aspergillis niger which find a lack of toxicity even at high doses.

ENZYMES DERIVED FROM ASPERGILLIS NIGER. WHO Food Additive Series, Review by International Programme on Chemical Safety.

Now that is an excellent question, Hector. I have always peeled pomegranates under water so that the membranes float up. But it is still a pain.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

thanks...

basically the piercing and vaccumthing didnt work for me... i tried it with my foodsaver with not soo good results. what i did was just peel the fruit as normal and then throw it into a 2% peelzym solution for 2h and the wash away the skinz under flowing cold water...

t.

I wonder if the "vacuum infused" method refers to industrial vacuum marination devices rather than vacuum packaging (as in Foodsaver). Your technique of peeling-and-soaking seems workable enough on a small scale.

Has anyone in the U.S. figured out how to order this stuff? I searched their web site and didn't see any way of ordering. I'll try contacting them directly.

Those photos are great, but for those that aren't interested in the somewhat frightening enzymatic process, there is such thing as segmenting a citrus fruit. I think that was first quarter culinary school. Pith and segments can be completely and easily removed with a knife.

R. Jason Coulston

jason@popcling.com