• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Name Game ala Glenn from Melt

ejebud

c'mon c'mon....

doing any tasting runs???

did you get the lease???

final name ???

:cool:

I know I've been pretty quiet lateley(at least on this thread) so to give you the update, I am feverishly searching for the right location. I'm finding that to be quite difficult. Had a potemtial in Montclair, but decided it wasn't going to work for what I want to do so my partner and I walked away. I scoured morristown and Madison yesterday. There's not a "for rent" sign ANYWHERE. I may have found an ideal location in Union today though. I'll keep you posted. Oh and Hoboken; fuggheddaboutit. $6000 per month is a crapload of hot dogs!! Anyway, the name game is still on 'cuz I might use a different name deponding on location. Keep 'em coming if you think of anymore good names.

Thanks alot, Eric

What demographics are you looking for? What size space?

Names:

Frank

Dog-gone It

The Original Hot Dog House

Fun on a Bun

Natural Casing

The Foot Long

Frank's Famous

Pigs in a Blanket

If you use one of these, I will only ask for a small royalty. Good luck!

We are thinking 20-low 40 somethings. College kids and boomers who like the occassional White Castle Hamburger 'cuz it reminds them of their much happier youth at 3 AM. Also anyone who apprecieates a great hot dog and can tell the difference between a Rutt's Hutt and and a nice grilled Syds. As far as space, I'm thinking around 1000 SF. Know of a place??

President

Les Marmitons-NJ

Johnson and Wales

Class of '85

• 4 weeks later...

i am at the shore around exit 98..we only have windmill and a place in long branch called max's that is only open in the season...i'll bet you would clean up down here...maybe make it just being open for a long season may through sept...belmar, spring lake, manasquan, pt pleasant...you have to cross a bridge to get to point pleasant but the have a huge boardwalk rides etc...

i am at the shore around exit 98..we only have windmill and a place in long branch called max's that is only open in the season...i'll bet you would clean up down here...maybe make it just being open for a long season may through sept...belmar, spring lake, manasquan, pt pleasant...you have to cross a bridge to get to point pleasant but the have a huge boardwalk rides etc...

I think the shore would make a great second location. We currently have a lease worked out and are being heard at the July meeting of board of adjustments in the Township of Verona. Not too far from the site of the old Claremont Diner and the little White Castle; remember them?? More info to follow.......

Edited by ejebud (log)

President

Les Marmitons-NJ

Johnson and Wales

Class of '85

Happening upon this thread a little late.

A lot of the names listed here are already open as businesses. See The Hot Dog Page. "Perfectly Frank" isn't as far as I know and it's a great name.

My two bits on an approach to the hot dog menu. Don't try to be all things to all people. Don't try to serve every kind of regional dog. Don't cook your dogs every way known to man. I've seen a lot of places try to do all manner of dog and they haven't made it.

The dog places I've seen that have become legend - that have thrived - focus on one style dog. The may garnish it in various ways. But they do one kind of dog, they cook it one way and they pay serious, never-wavering attention to the basics. Other than trying to offer every dog know to man, the most common way a dog place screws up is the bun. Either stale from sitting in the bun steam to long or, just as bad, cold out of the box.

My ideal dog - all-beef, grilled, on a toasted, buttered bun. Mustard, fresh chopped onion and relish - but not enough of any and all of the condiments to overpower the dog. And chili, Coney Island or all the way sauce.

The exception is SuperDuper Weenie in CT. A lot of people rate them as their favorite. But even there I'll always order the dog as described above. Gunking up a great hot dog with with a tossed salad, fancy sauces, and everything found in the fridge is like taking a prime, aged rib eye and dousing it with A-One sauce.

But I digress. Great name choice.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

Happening upon this thread a little late.

A lot of the names listed here are already open as businesses.  See The Hot Dog Page.  "Perfectly Frank" isn't as far as I know and it's a great name.

My two bits on an approach to the hot dog menu.  Don't try to be all things to all people.  Don't try to serve every kind of regional dog.  Don't cook your dogs every way known to man. I've seen a lot of places try to do all manner of dog and they haven't made it.

The dog places I've seen that have become legend - that have thrived - focus on one style dog.  The may garnish it in various ways. But they do one kind of dog, they cook it one way and they pay serious, never-wavering attention to the basics.  Other than trying to offer every dog know to man, the most common way a dog place screws up is the bun.  Either stale from sitting in the bun steam to long or, just as bad, cold out of the box.

My ideal dog - all-beef, grilled, on a toasted, buttered bun.  Mustard, fresh chopped onion and relish - but not enough of any and all of the condiments to overpower the dog.  And chili, Coney Island or all the way sauce.

The exception is SuperDuper Weenie in CT.  A lot of people rate them as their favorite.  But even there I'll always order the dog as described above.  Gunking up a great hot dog with with a tossed salad, fancy sauces, and everything found in the fridge is like taking a prime, aged rib eye and dousing it with A-One sauce.

But I digress.  Great name choice.

Holly, Thanks for your input. We have moved away from the all things to all people concept somewhat and definatley NOT going to cook them every which way. I don't know what I was thinking when I posted that idea, Anyway, We are going to use Best's "Don's" all beef hot dog, which BTW are the same recipe as Syd's in Millburn, just a different size. We will offer around a dozen "house dogs" of various topping combinations, as well as ala carte topping so the customer can mix and match at will. For the purist, the K.I.S.S. (keep it simple, stupid) rules will apply. I tend to waver in my hot dog cravings from simple mustard relish onions to the more adventurous topping combos that for the time being will remain under wraps untill we are further along in the process. Of course AMAZING hand cut french fries and great Birch beer will be available as well. I'm meeting with my architect today, my equipment planner tomorrow, the Verona board of adjustment on July 14th; so things are moving along quite well. We have a lease at the ready and we could see our first happy customer by October 1. Stay tuned!!

I must say, that your website was instumental in my research and I applaud you for a job well done. I look forward to the day when we can meet and "break hot dog" together in the future.

Eric

President

Les Marmitons-NJ

Johnson and Wales

Class of '85