• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Name Game ala Glenn from Melt

ejebud

I'm in the planning stages of opening a hot dog joint. I know, ANOTHER hot dog place!?! It is my desire to make available all the various types of dogs ie. the best All beef dog, the best beef/pork dog, the best game dog(Bison for example), the best poultry dog, the best Veggie dog. Each dog can be cooked a variety of methods, with my personal suggestions on what I think the best method for each type of dog is. Then the toppings!! I intend on introducing folks to combinations of toppings that are common around the country but seldom seen here in NJ. Of course I'll offer the old standbys as well. Oh, did I mention hand cut double cooked fries and killer shakes? I suppose I'll supplement the menu with some other offerings(like burgers) but my main focus will be the all mighty hot dog!!

So onto the name. I turn to you, my esteemed partners in all things culinary to dig deep into your creative centers and excavate the name of my new venture. I have one Idea, but I want to see what you guys come up with before I share it.

Thanks, Eric

President

Les Marmitons-NJ

Johnson and Wales

Class of '85

ooh, yeah- put it near me!

Anyway, I have a suggestion:

Perfectly Frank(s)

aka Michael

Chi mangia bene, vive bene!

"...And bring us the finest food you've got, stuffed with the second finest."

"Excellent, sir. Lobster stuffed with tacos."

Do you have a location yet?

No location yet Rosie, But I'll have most of the plan in place in a pretty short amount of time, so when I drive by "THAT" place and I say to myself, "THAT would make a great location for a hot dog joint" I'll be ready to go. I'm not married to any particular area either so it's W-I-D-E open. Also may buy a HD truck and operate it through the summer to accumulate some capitol and then go full bore in the fall on a permanent location.

President

Les Marmitons-NJ

Johnson and Wales

Class of '85

Perfectly Frank(s)

DING DING DING!!!! I really like this one. It's got the element of a pun that makes people stop and say "great name" The pun is the most intelectual form of humor, and I think you nailed it. Thanks!!

President

Les Marmitons-NJ

Johnson and Wales

Class of '85

Perfectly Frank(s)

That definitely gets my vote! I love a clever name...

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Sounds to me like you've got all the "best" dogs - which reminded me of a dog show - with each dog taking the "best in show" for its category. You could have the menu be a takeoff on a dog show. With i.e. Blue Ribbon Beef Dogs, and other names in keeping with the theme.

So maybe:

The Dog Show?

or what about:

Top Dogs?

ooh I like TOP DOGS!

"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne

Dr. Frankenfurter's (The Doctor Is In)

or perhaps just The Rocky Hotdog Picture Show

but seriously... Perfectly Franks is great. For a hotdog place I think that's as good a name as Melt is for a grilled cheese joint (and Melt is a damn good name).

Sounds to me like you've got all the "best" dogs - which reminded me of a dog show - with each dog taking the "best in show" for its category.  You could have the menu be a takeoff on a dog show.  With i.e. Blue Ribbon Beef Dogs, and other names in keeping with the theme.

So maybe:

The Dog Show?

or what about:

Top Dogs?

ooh I like TOP DOGS!

I like Top Dogs, but I'd rather take your initial idea and go one step further...just call it Best In Show or Best In Show (Top Dogs) ! I guess I'm not the average person, but when I hear the words Best In Show, I immediately think DOGS, so I'd get it right away and think it was clever...

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

Sounds to me like you've got all the "best" dogs - which reminded me of a dog show - with each dog taking the "best in show" for its category.  You could have the menu be a takeoff on a dog show.  With i.e. Blue Ribbon Beef Dogs, and other names in keeping with the theme.

So maybe:

The Dog Show?

or what about:

Top Dogs?

ooh I like TOP DOGS!

I like Top Dogs, but I'd rather take your initial idea and go one step further...just call it Best In Show or Best In Show (Top Dogs) ! I guess I'm not the average person, but when I hear the words Best In Show, I immediately think DOGS, so I'd get it right away and think it was clever...

Am I wrong in thinking that every dog owner in the world would be offended by my comparison of the majestic show dog and my meat product on a bun for human consuption?

President

Les Marmitons-NJ

Johnson and Wales

Class of '85

Dapper Dawgz.

Your logo can be a Dachshund in a tuxedo. You can even give him a monacle like Mr. Peanut.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

How about The Dog Pound?

Wait a sec...

I like Perfectly Frank(s), but are we talking about:

Perfectly Frank(s)

Perfectly Franks

or

Perfectly Frank?

Parentheses in a name might be a little too complicated.

Okay, here's mine to throw in the fray:

Wacky Weiners

Sizzle

Doggy Style

Diggity Dogs

Sirius

Good Doggie

Chien Chaud

Dog Gummit!

Edited by scott123 (log)

I like Perfectly Frank(s), but are we talking about:

Perfectly Frank(s)

Perfectly Franks

or

Perfectly Frank?

Parentheses in a name might be a little too complicated.

Honestly, I went with the parentheses because I was torn between the two options. Then I saw it typed out and really liked it that way- I think that the parens can give the signage a potentially interesting design element. Of course, I don't do this sort of thing for a living...but I know somebody who does. Since the idea is being given some serious consideration (thanks all, btw) I'll run it by him.

Eric- if you don't mind doing long distance investigative road trips I'd suggest stopping by All American Hamburgers in Massapequa (on Long Island). They have been making the hand cut french fries thing work in a fast food context (i.e. really cheap but really good) for decades. I just love those little slivers of potatoes that they leave in there which become nice and crispy.

Edited by TongoRad (log)

aka Michael

Chi mangia bene, vive bene!

"...And bring us the finest food you've got, stuffed with the second finest."

"Excellent, sir. Lobster stuffed with tacos."

To me..a cute name would defeat the whole concept.

It is a hot dog. You are going dress it up by introducing a veg concept and a offbeat meat dish but in the end..you are going to want to try to draw customers in that love Hot Dogs but want a new experience.

How about "Darn Good Hot Dog" or "Hot Dog"

Keep it simple. You are introducing a really odd concept to a lot of people..not on this site of course..nevertheless..it should be simple. A good Hot Dog is simple yet full of flavor. The name should reflect that. The name for "Melt" is a great example of a simple name that conveys the concept you are going after. Strive for that..

Edited by Spinner (log)