• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Who does the cooking in your house?

We're a stereotypical family in many ways, but bass-ackwards in others.  We have 4 children, ages 8 and younger, and we put them all to bed by 7:30.  I don't get home from work until 7, so my wife has already fed the children during the week.  Thus, dinner around the table for the Varmint family doesn't occur that often Monday through Friday.  Mrs. Varmint's cooking is exclusively for the children, as neither she nor I would want to eat what she makes.

When I get home and help put the l'il Varmints to bed, I'll start cranking on my 30 minute meal for the two of us.  Pastas, risottos, salads, and stir fries are the usuals.  On Fridays, I'll leave work at 6, swing by the Whole Foods or farmers market, and cook for friends as well.

I handle all the weekend cooking as well, including breakfast, where I feel like a short order cook (although we do sneak away to visit the country's 2nd oldest Krispy Kreme once in awhile).  Biscuits, omelets, french toast, cinnamon buns, grits, pancakes, waffles -- I let my children have their pick during the weekend.  It's also the time that I get the children involved in the cooking.  They generally help with Sunday's dinner -- they love to flatten chicken breasts into cutlets.

Mrs. Varmint doesn't go near the stove on the weekends.  We're all greatful for that.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

My bloke is a marvellous man, but he's demonstrated on more than one occasion that he's not THAT interested in what he eats.

miss j brings up an interesting issue.  i would say it's even thread worthy.  

obviously we're all very much into food.  too much some might say.   :biggrin:   *but*, how many of our significant others don't give a squat about food?  i can say that mrs. tommy and i both share an enormous passion for food and dining.  however, i'm sensing that this is not always the case.  and if not, how do the gourmets in us feel when we present a beautiful dish to our significant other, only to have is scoffed down as if it were slop.  i mean, how can you go on cooking when your masterpiece is getting that reception?  hmmm.

luckily for me, mrs. tommy pretends she likes whatever i cook.

I am sure this will vary from couple to couple (not wishing to rule out trios or quartets either).  My other half enjoys restaurant dining very much, and takes it fairly seriously.  Eating at home, though, is just re-fuelling for her.  She'll eat whatever's around, often standing up, and then get on with whatever else it is she does.  Cooking, unless it's a special occasion, is just a way of getting the food from raw to edible.  I love cooking, and I also love table settings and a degree of formality when eating (I mean, put the phone down for example).  Of course, I am just anal, but there you go.