• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Godiva's - Vancouver Restaurant Sitcom (merged)

jamiemaw

does anybody know who is producing this thing?

Google is your friend:

Produced in association with CHUM Television, Godiva’s is a co-creation of two of Canada’s hottest producers, Julia Keatley and Michael MacLennan. Julia Keatley was the driving force behind the critically acclaimed series Cold Squad, while her partner in Bread and Butter Productions is Michael MacLennan, co-executive producer and writer on Queer as Folk. Award-winning director Gary Harvey helmed all six episodes, and Gigi Boyd is Producer/Production Manager.

:smile:

Edit: Oh, bless us, only 5 more episodes to watch, er, ridicule...hmm, maybe we should hope for more!

Edited by *Deborah* (log)

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies

I had mentioned quite some time ago, on another thread,

that it was co-created by Julia Keatley (Cold Squad) based on

her past life as manager of Isadora's on Granville Island.

Also, most of the actors are or have been waiters. So it's not

totally without research. Maybe they were just trying to broaden

it so the audience would understand the insider jargon?

Can't recall where the other actors are from, but the chef is from Toronto,

trained in London, England; the manager is from Jasper, Alberta.

Most new shows need time to gel, which this one will have. I hear

CHUM has ordered 13 more episodes.

Andrew, sounds like you're still linked to the biz, since you're still

getting screeners and releases?

PS - I say Toron-toe. I was born and raised in Vancouver, and find most,

if not all, people who pronounce it Taranna are from there.

Andrew, sounds like you're still linked to the biz, since you're still

getting screeners and releases?

The television biz? Nope. Never was...though I was in the cast of OwlTV's Hoot Club as a young lad and did some commercials for a law firm specializing in divorce when I was 9 (me: confused and distraught child). :laugh:

Seriously.

Since everyone is down on the show, any constructive criticism beyond the typical round of "it blows for busfare"? The people who put Godiva's together have been reading this thread, so it would be nice if we added points to our opinions rather than dishing out venti vitriol. Any takers? Did anyone like it at all?

I did. I enjoyed it. The second episode was good, too.

However, it appears I laughed when others cringed. It wouldn't be the first time.

Perhaps my taste is out of whack, but I'm looking forward to the entire season.

Andrew Morrison

Food Columnist | The Westender

Editor & Publisher | Scout Magazine

I really hate to do this, but for all you native Vancouverites -

Toronto is pronounced by native Torontonians as somewhere between "Tronna" and "Turonna". This is quite simply because it is the pronunciation that requires the least amount of physical effort.

And NOBODY calls it "the big smoke"!

I know a man who gave up smoking, drinking, sex, and rich food. He was healthy right up to the day he killed himself. - Johnny Carson

Toronto is pronounced by native Torontonians as somewhere between "Tronna" and "Turonna".  This is quite simply because it is the pronunciation that requires the least amount of physical effort.

Thanks, Jeffy Boy: my understanding of "normal" pronunciation must be from all the Torontonians at McGill. The actress who enunciated it so clearly is originally from Jasper, not T.O.

It's not like I think it's the worst show EVAR or anything, btw; it just kind of reminded me why I usually only watch West Wing, Law & Order, and HNIC.

I thought the pastry chef was not a bad actress, but they seem to have based her character pretty directly on Phoebe on Friends; the manageress dancing I realize has a story tie-in, but again seems derivative from Friends; the fact that a lot of the viewing public have worked in restaurants and have some idea of how it goes means that a lot of people are going to have an opinion about it...does anyone remember that show, It's a Living, about the waitresses? with that tall blonde actress whose name I can't recall. That show sort of had a better idea of what it was, it seems to me, straight sit-com. This one...not so much...is it a sit-com? is it Sex in the Bistro? is it 86ed as Folk? Maybe I don't watch enough of these modern shows to really understand where this one is coming from.

I can certainly see it improving, and I felt better toward it by the end than I did after 20-30 minutes.

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies

Since everyone is down on the show, any constructive criticism beyond the typical round of "it blows for busfare"? The people who put Godiva's together have been reading this thread, so it would be nice if we added points to our opinions rather than dishing out venti vitriol. Any takers? Did anyone like it at all?

I figured that any day now someone from the show was going to pop out of the woodwork with some lengthy speech and a request to certain posters to never darken their cable station again :wink:

Being a fraidy cat (well, not really) I decided I'd keep my comments to myself. There's only so many doorsteps (or cable stations as the case may be) that I wish to be banned from in one year :biggrin:

I'll just say.... I think the show needs more time.

sarah

Always take a good look at what you're about to eat. It's not so important to know what it is, but it's critical to know what it was. --Unknown

I figured that any day now someone from the show was going to pop out of the woodwork with some lengthy speech and a request to certain posters to never darken their cable station again 

:laugh:

I want to see how the show does Dine Out next year, so I'm hoping it's a hit.

Andrew Morrison

Toronto is pronounced by native Torontonians as somewhere between "Tronna" and "Turonna".  This is quite simply because it is the pronunciation that requires the least amount of physical effort.

maybe....HOGTOWN!

Chef/Owner/Teacher

Do they know what "DINE OUT" is?

I don't know...my husband laughed through it. I just laughed at how ridiculous the spitting in the food was and then got mad....

I don't like how Vancouver was portrayed....albiet from a restaurant POV.....

Didn't enjoy it...didn't hate it.

Probably watch 2 more episodes and then dump it if it's still bad.

Typical Bravo Show. That was my opinion when I saw it.

I figured that any day now someone from the show was going to pop out of the woodwork with some lengthy speech and a request to certain posters to never darken their cable station again :wink:

Being a fraidy cat (well, not really) I decided I'd keep my comments to myself. There's only so many doorsteps (or cable stations as the case may be) that I wish to be banned from in one year :biggrin:

I'll just say.... I think the show needs more time.

I was waiting for someone to say that! Good one, Sarah.

It strikes me as funny how posters here seem quite critical of the show after having seen it just once. I would think that a second visit..err..viewing would be in order.

As a wise old sage once told me:

'As you explore this and other forums more closely, I believe you’ll soon see that substance is the dough of credibility, leavened liberally by the yeast of humour.

All else is merely crummy.'

John

It was the Law of the Sea, they said. Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top.

Hunter S. Thompson ---- R.I.P. 1939 - 2005

"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society."

--Mark Twain

I'm sorry but I still don't understand this constructive criticisim thing about something I hate. I dislike the show because the dialogue is unrealistic and forced. It is so bad I hope it dies a quick death. I doubt anything I say could help it. I've learnt to live with Cold Squad though because my wife enjoys it.

Oh hang on, people related to the show may read this? I thought it was great. Very realistic. The characters rang true for me. Like those 90's Docker commercials.

David Cooper

"I'm no friggin genius". Rob Dibble

http://www.starlinebyirion.com/

I agree with Coop on the constructive criticism part. I fail to see why anyone should try to help these people out without a least an consultant fee being paid to them for their input.

After all, I am sure they paid their research assistants for their input on the show and asking for the same should not be construed as being mercenary.

The spitting in the food scene was just an example of how the producers/writers will stoop to the lowest common denominator in order to attract the viewing public.

The last time I saw something like this on tv was on "Bad behaviour caught on tape" broadcast on Fox.

If they are going to put scenes like this in a show perhaps they should have it set in a MacDonalds so they can do a scene with the manager pissing in the pickle barrel.

As far as being critical about the show, well, one man's cheese is another man's spoiled milk and if someone does not like this show after only one viewing than they are not or should not feel obliged to subject themselves to another.

If the people involved with the show are reading this maybe they will come to the realization that their portrayal of the restaurant industry is stereotypical and based on urban myths more than actual facts and tweak the show accordingly.

I'm surprised that anyone in the industry who would think that this is the way that our chosen profession should be portrayed to the general public, most of whom may come to the conclusion that this is actually the way things are "behind the scenes."

But that is just my opinion.

Oyster Guy

"Why then, the world is mine oyster, which I with sword, shall open."

William Shakespeare-The Merry Wives of Windsor

"An oyster is a French Kiss that goes all the way." Rodney Clark

"Oyster shuckers are the rock stars of the shellfish industry." Jason Woodside

"Obviously, if you don't love life, you can't enjoy an oyster."

Eleanor Clark

Hey let's not generalize on the Vancouverites (or westcoasters)...

Birthplace: Victoria

Pronounciation: Tronno or Tranna

Reason: laziness

:raz:

Hey, I would be available for consultation for the show !

I am a restauranteur and chef in uber chic Yaletown and one of the originals.

For a small honourarium, I would tell all.

Authentic and real.

I would have requests though -

My own trailer on set, only brown M & M's for a snack and casting veto -

Now then , who would we get to play the restaurant critic ? It would be modeled after our own Jamie Maw -

I will leave that question open for the egulleters ....................................

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

www.hamiltonstreetgrill.com

My own trailer on set, only brown M & M's for a snack

Brown M & Ms by choice?! :blink:

Were you at the end of the M & M handout line as a kid? :hmmm::raz:

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

My own trailer on set, only brown M & M's for a snack

Brown M & Ms by choice?! :blink:

Were you at the end of the M & M handout line as a kid? :hmmm::raz:

No it was from the riders that Van Halen used to have - all brown M & M's removed - I thought it a good use for all of those leftover M & M's

Edited by nwyles (log)

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

www.hamiltonstreetgrill.com

They read so we should be positive or at least offer constructive critism?

Sorry Coop, that's the funniest thing I've read this week, maybe next week you'll be back on top.

I'm almost certain the producers will console themselves by pulling their Range Rovers over to the side of the 99 this evening to do a line of coke off the abdomen of an aspiring starlet going with forementioned producer up to Whistler for some extended reading this weekend. I'm certain that'll help quell the pain of a bunch of internet geeks not appreciateing their artistic vison, I know it would work for me.

What's that? Not all TV producers are coked fueled oversexed philanderers? But that's the common stereotype on the tube.

No, I'm certainly not suggesting we be positive because people from the show read this. :laugh: I could care less. My point was that their presence was an opportunity to elabotate on memes like "level 10 suckitude". I thought that since people were griping about the show they might consider directing their criticisms, at least, with some purpose (however limited) - to be heard directly by those they're criticizing. Or not.

Andrew Morrison

I'm stupid, I read that as MacGyver juicing, had to look at it five times before it made sense.

And one thing that hasn't been mentioned. Rob Feenie still holds the honour of worst dancing ever on TV. It looked close for a few minutes, I'll bet he was on the edge of his seat, dying for the mantle to be removed from his shoulders, nope sorry Bob it's still you.

No, I'm certainly not suggesting we be positive because people from the show read this.  :laugh: I could care less. My point was that their presence was an opportunity to elabotate on memes like "level 10 suckitude". I thought that since people were griping about the show they might consider directing their criticisms, at least, with some purpose (however limited) - to be heard directly by those they're criticizing. Or not.

Is this a slag? As I am somewhat "limited" I might be incorrect in my thinking.

After all, I am just a dumb cook who might not have your eloquence or witty retorts but I try to do my best.

But I really can't tell as I am unsure if you are just being condescending or trying to be subtle.

Please elaborate if you will.

"Why then, the world is mine oyster, which I with sword, shall open."

William Shakespeare-The Merry Wives of Windsor

"An oyster is a French Kiss that goes all the way." Rodney Clark

"Oyster shuckers are the rock stars of the shellfish industry." Jason Woodside

"Obviously, if you don't love life, you can't enjoy an oyster."

Eleanor Clark

No, I'm certainly not suggesting we be positive because people from the show read this.  :laugh: I could care less. My point was that their presence was an opportunity to elabotate on memes like "level 10 suckitude". I thought that since people were griping about the show they might consider directing their criticisms, at least, with some purpose (however limited) - to be heard directly by those they're criticizing. Or not.

Is this a slag? As I am somewhat "limited" I might be incorrect in my thinking.

After all, I am just a dumb cook who might not have your eloquence or witty retorts but I try to do my best.

But I really can't tell as I am unsure if you are just being condescending or trying to be subtle.

Please elaborate if you will.

Well, I'm not Andrew, but I don't think he meant this as a slag. I read it as ... however limited the received purpose of said criticism might be. i.e. Give your input.... positive, negative, whatever.... the purpose of which may be received in a (possibly "limited") way. Or perhaps in a great way... who knows. Where are those people from the show? Come out, come out wherever you are...... :laugh:

But that's just my take on reading Andrew's post. :biggrin:

edited because I want to make sure that I read, and understood, and am trying to convey, that the "limited" portion relates to how it might be received, not to the post itself. Does that make sense?

Edited by appreciator (log)

sarah

Always take a good look at what you're about to eat. It's not so important to know what it is, but it's critical to know what it was. --Unknown

OMG I think it's pretty bad.

Pretty damn bad.

Yeah I have to say, what the heck is going on in that kitchen? nobody's cooking much! and the little thing with the manager girl dancing before commercial...yeesh!

She's never make it as a hostess at Earl's either! on any count!

may be bad enough to be funny; I haven't decided yet.

It is amazing how you can say something so brutal about an individual you have never met. This just happens to be my cousin, so I may be a little bias.

A little tidbit for you. Erin spent time in a few restaurants shadowing management and front line employees. We were happy to have Erin with us at C for a couple of nights. Remember that one key employee who left, who was so amazing that everyone still brings up. Well that would be Erin if you had her working for you.

I am sure that Mr. Fuller would love to have Erin working at one of his restaurants.

Leonard J Nakonechny

C Restaurant GM