• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Godiva's - Vancouver Restaurant Sitcom (merged)

jamiemaw

From the desk of: F. Morris Chatters, Urban Tribester

I am the newly appointed Director of Communications for Godiver's, the urbane, decidedly urban restaurant sitcom that dares to exfolliate all that you once held true in your 'hood. Named after a box of liquid-centre chocolates . . . well, you get the metaphor I'm sure.

Despite that ruthless shill, Maw, trying to usurp my proper position in communicating the volcanic interplay of disenfranchised service workers, I believe that you owe the first episode a proper viewing, perhaps at a steakhouse with extremely large televisions.

Since the unrelenting tout, Maw, drummed me out of my last position at Kung Pow Phat Soy, I have had to fall back on the solace of family and friends. The last straw was when my son, M. Keith Chatters, named for a longtime regular customer, threatened to charge me rent for his unused nanny's quarters.

But now I am gainfully employed again, promoting the virtues of comedic men with sharp knives if dull wit.

Not incidentally, Maw has personally promised me that, along with other chattels, he will keep his hyperbole safely tucked in his sock, where it belongs.

Edited by jamiemaw (log)

from the thinly veneered desk of:

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

www.vancouvermagazine.com

Foodblog: In the Belly of the Feast - Eating BC

"Profumo profondo della mia carne"

Isn't the "desk" of Mr. Chatters the hood of a '74 El Camino parked out back of a 7-11 on the King George Highway? Giving it the title "desk" seems like Mr. Chatters is attempting to put on airs, to me. And we all know that this city in general, and this board in particular loves nothing better than to knock down the pretensious. I suggest Mr. Chatters brace for impact.

Isn't the "desk" of Mr. Chatters the hood of a '74 El Camino parked out back of a 7-11 on the King George Highway? Giving it the title "desk" seems like Mr. Chatters is attempting to put on airs, to me. And we all know that this city in general, and this board in particular loves nothing better than to knock down the pretensious. I suggest Mr. Chatters brace for impact.

Keith,

Chatters is a mere shadow of his former self--nothing like his glory days at his eponymous restaurant in Richmond or even when he was handling The Capilano Suspension Bridge account. Very slippery slope indeed, and I hear that his membership in The Guild of Culinary and Hospitality Public Relations Professionals may even be revoked.

Apparently the El Camino caused quite a stir when he tried to force his way into the Skybar recently--the doormen pretended not to see him. Finally, they were forced to call in a Buster's truck, while Chatters was heard to mutter, "And I used to rule this place--I made it what it is."

No matter your opinion of the man, you must admit it's been a rapid, and ultimately sad decline.

from the thinly veneered desk of:

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

www.vancouvermagazine.com

Foodblog: In the Belly of the Feast - Eating BC

"Profumo profondo della mia carne"

From the Godiva's Web Site (über-clic):

Afraid she can't make payroll, Kate hires a DJ to reinvigorate the bar. Ramir wants the kitchen to be her top priority and fights to protect his menu creations. Meanwhile, after a night of bad luck the staff start to wonder if Godiva's is haunted. Stick and TJ prove once again that drugs should stay out of the kitchen.

So now it's a hip show with a message?? :cool:

A.

Yeah, I love it. Nothing like the thought of a coked-up sous de-boning your sole, eh? This show is going to do wonders for us.

Note to the dining public: no self-respecting restaurant worker does his/her drugs on site.

“It’s extremely exciting to create a world that tells the truth about young people’s lives – and show what really goes on behind the scenes in the restaurant business,” the producer.

I wonder who the consultant was? That's a humdinger of a question.

Edited by editor@waiterblog (log)

Andrew Morrison

Food Columnist | The Westender

Editor & Publisher | Scout Magazine

Quote:

"Maw has personally promised me that, along with other chattels, he will keep his hyperbole safely tucked in his sock, where it belongs."

Well, you keep it tucked in your sock??? Now I know why you are called 'The Hype'!!!

Anyway, lots of good points here. One thing that strikes me as odd though, is how so many can get so upset about a TV show.

Relax folks. This too will die a horrid and painfully slow death.

And a point to all PR people out there....never use the word 'uber' in a press release..

(especially in reference to anything in Yaletown..it's all uber!)

John

edited to capitalize 'The Hype' as I think it deserving.

JB

Edited by dodger (log)

It was the Law of the Sea, they said. Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top.

Hunter S. Thompson ---- R.I.P. 1939 - 2005

"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society."

--Mark Twain

I think we should all stay on topic. Watch the show, formulate your opinion, then discuss.

Yeah, that sounds like a plan, a boring plan but a plan none the less.

I suggest we begin a pool to wager on what time the first full frontal shot is. We could devise some sort of bonus prize if the shot is completely gratutious. I'd set the over/under line at 7:23.

We could aslo work on the Godiva drinking game, but I always find drinking games slightly juvenille, I don't need any half assed excuse to get liquored.

Full frontal - one shot

tribal arm band tat - one shot

recreational drug usage - one shot

a dish served that actually looks good - two shots

high strung short tempered chef - no shots

gay waiter - no shots

gay waiter without tribal arm band tat - three shots

a waitress with only ears pierced - one shot

a pan of yaletown showing the HSG - one shot

a pan of yaletown showing the HSG and Ling is going in the front door - three shots

a pan of yaletown showing the HSG an Neil is throwing a patron out on thier ass- three shots

Someone parking directly in front of the restaurant - four shots

This seems easy.

I think we should all stay on topic. Watch the show, formulate your opinion, then discuss.

Yeah, that sounds like a plan, a boring plan but a plan none the less.

I suggest we begin a pool to wager on what time the first full frontal shot is. We could devise some sort of bonus prize if the shot is completely gratutious. I'd set the over/under line at 7:23.

We could aslo work on the Godiva drinking game, but I always find drinking games slightly juvenille, I don't need any half assed excuse to get liquored.

Full frontal - one shot

tribal arm band tat - one shot

recreational drug usage - one shot

a dish served that actually looks good - two shots

high strung short tempered chef - no shots

gay waiter - no shots

gay waiter without tribal arm band tat - three shots

a waitress with only ears pierced - one shot

a pan of yaletown showing the HSG - one shot

a pan of yaletown showing the HSG and Ling is going in the front door - three shots

a pan of yaletown showing the HSG an Neil is throwing a patron out on thier ass- three shots

Someone parking directly in front of the restaurant - four shots

This seems easy.

I have just been contacted by Godiva Liquer - they want to increase their market placement in B.C. and have requested that if they supply a neverending line of beligerant drunk yuppies, would I toss them on the street. I told them I have let myself go a little lately and am not in top fighting form. I have requested the smallest yuppies they can find. I am waiting for their response. Does rolling them out the door count once my arms get tired ?

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

www.hamiltonstreetgrill.com

I really like this drinking game Keith, but I'm thinking that with this alone I'll be pissed.

I have to say that the trailer was enough to turn me off this show, but I am looking forward to the reviews from people with cable. There is a reason that I don't frequent Yaletown (Except for HSG of course) and I don't really need to be subjected to the "Uberness" of it all in the comfort of my own home. Even just watching the trailer I felt odd sitting in my sweats :hmmm:

I just watched the first two episodes of Godiva's.

No spoilers...

Despite myself, I was totally engrossed. It's a pretty hilarious show, even if you're not in the business. In particular, I think most kitchen staff will get a big kick out of it.

Edited by editor@waiterblog (log)

Andrew Morrison

It is on at 7 tonight on Bravo.. did anyone see City Cooks yesterday, they had 2 of the actors on, the "head Chef" and "Head Wait Staff", not very appetizing food, thankfully Simi was there to help them out.. should be interesting to see tonight in the least! ;)

DANIELLE

"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well."

-Virginia Woolf

Calling all aspiring foodie/actors!

From Godiva's press kit:

GODIVA’S OPENS THE DOOR TO AN UNUSUAL OPPORTUNITY

Bravo! TV Series, set in the Restaurant Biz, to Cast

Recurring Character from Hospitality Industry

(Vancouver – March 17, 2005) Not since Lana Turner was discovered sitting on a lunch stool in Schwab’s, has there been a more unusual search for a promising star. Now, the producers of Godiva’s are searching for Canada’s next big star in a unique promotional campaign called “Cheque Please.”

Godiva’s, the hip new series that debuted on Bravo! March 16, will be holding a nationwide search for a recurring cast member. But not just any actor can audition. To be in the running for a part in the series, those who apply must be currently employed at a restaurant or foodservice outlet. From a waiter at The Keg to a barrista at Starbuck’s, one’s pay stub might also be one’s ticket to stardom.

Set in the heart of Yaletown, Vancouver's über-chic 'hood, Godiva's invites viewers into the high-pressure, fast-paced world of the restaurant biz and the equally entwined private lives of the young, urban tribesters who populate it.

Aspiring actors should send a photo, resume, proof of age and proof of employment in a restaurant/foodservice outlet (i.e. pay stub, letter from employer) by Monday, March 28 to:

Casting Works, 610-825 Granville St., Vancouver, BC, V6Z 1K9, Attn: Cheque Please

OR

Jenny Lewis Casting, 1010-1029 King St. W., Toronto, ON, M6K 3M9, Attn: Cheque Please

From these submissions, 100 short-listed candidates will then be invited to attend auditions in Toronto on April 4th at the CHUMCity Building or in Vancouver on April 7th at Citytv-Vancouver. These hopefuls will read before executive producers Julia Keatley (Cold Squad) and Michael MacLennan (Queer as Folk).

The selected aspiring actors will be responsible for getting themselves to the audition sites. The successful candidate, if from another province, will be flown to Vancouver this summer to appear in a minimum of two episodes of the series. For more details, please visit www.bravo.ca.

Godiva’s airs on Bravo! every Wednesday at 10pm ET / 7pm PT

After the show they'll drop this in before they go to commercial. :wink:

Andrew Morrison

Ummm....wouldn't that mean that 90% of the actors in Van could audition? What a sill cattle call, then again, after reading the review, it seems as though absolutely everything about this show is silly. Glad I don't have Bravo.

Now, Andrew, when are you auditioning?