• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Godiva's - Vancouver Restaurant Sitcom (merged)

jamiemaw

It occurs to me that Godiva's is meant to be entertainment, not a documentary on life behind the scenes in a Vancouver restaurant. Shouldn't we be judging the show through that lens? I'm sure real forensic investigators don't drive Hummers and wear Armani suits, but that doesnt stop CSI from being a very popular series.

Disclaimer: I have yet to watch the show. Got it on tape but haven't found the time yet. Perhaps Level 10 Suckitude will make me less generous.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

www.leecarney.com

Is this a slag? As I am somewhat "limited" I might be incorrect in my thinking.

After all, I am just a dumb cook who might not have your eloquence or witty retorts but I try to do my best.

But I really can't tell as I am unsure if you are just being condescending or trying to be subtle.

Please elaborate if you will.

Oyster Guy,

No I wasn't intentionally being condescending, though I just read the offending post and realised it could be misconstrued as such. Rest assured, no slag. :wink:

I was just saying: hey, these guys wrote a show that enters into our realm and we're criticising it without putting points to our criticisms. Since they're taking the trouble to read our maledictions from the mountain top I'd argue they deserve more substance and less venom, is all - no wit intended.

I was weary of the show before I saw it. When I watched the tape I loved it, hated it, and in the end found a way to accomodate it. I realised after a few days that it isn't for me or anyone else who works in the restaurant business. I've already written too much about the show here.

It occurs to me that Godiva's is meant to be entertainment, not a documentary on life behind the scenes in a Vancouver restaurant. Shouldn't we be judging the show through that lens? I'm sure real forensic investigators don't drive Hummers and wear Armani suits, but that doesnt stop CSI from being a very popular series.

Ah! All wit aside, another nail gets hit on the head.

I'm tired of writing about Godiva. I like the show for what it is, and have gotten beyond what it isn't.

If anyone would like to venture further into the relative merits of this television series vis a vis it's relation to the restaurant business, I'll happily refer you to this book.

Edited by editor@waiterblog (log)

Andrew Morrison

Food Columnist | The Westender

Editor & Publisher | Scout Magazine

I apologize to you Andrew for the perceived slight on my part.

You were merely trying to make a valid point which I misconstrued.

Thank you for your prompt reply.

No offence taken.

Take good care

Oyster Guy

"Why then, the world is mine oyster, which I with sword, shall open."

William Shakespeare-The Merry Wives of Windsor

"An oyster is a French Kiss that goes all the way." Rodney Clark

"Oyster shuckers are the rock stars of the shellfish industry." Jason Woodside

"Obviously, if you don't love life, you can't enjoy an oyster."

Eleanor Clark

OMG I think it's pretty bad.

Pretty damn bad.

Yeah I have to say, what the heck is going on in that kitchen? nobody's cooking much! and the little thing with the manager girl dancing before commercial...yeesh!

She's never make it as a hostess at Earl's either! on any count!

may be bad enough to be funny; I haven't decided yet.

It is amazing how you can say something so brutal about an individual you have never met. This just happens to be my cousin, so I may be a little bias.

A little tidbit for you. Erin spent time in a few restaurants shadowing management and front line employees. We were happy to have Erin with us at C for a couple of nights. Remember that one key employee who left, who was so amazing that everyone still brings up. Well that would be Erin if you had her working for you.

I am sure that Mr. Fuller would love to have Erin working at one of his restaurants.

Leonard J Nakonechny

C Restaurant GM

You see people ...there are real people behind this show. They make their living acting on this show. Maybe if you have a problem with the show you could email the producers first. Anyway, give it a chance and balance your reviews with respect for those who make a living from this show.

JB

:blink:

It was the Law of the Sea, they said. Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top.

Hunter S. Thompson ---- R.I.P. 1939 - 2005

"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society."

--Mark Twain

Pretty damn bad.

Yeah I have to say, what the heck is going on in that kitchen? nobody's cooking much! and the little thing with the manager girl dancing before commercial...yeesh!

It is amazing how you can say something so brutal about an individual you have never met. This just happens to be my cousin, so I may be a little bias.

A little tidbit for you. Erin spent time in a few restaurants shadowing management and front line employees. We were happy to have Erin with us at C for a couple of nights. Remember that one key employee who left, who was so amazing that everyone still brings up. Well that would be Erin if you had her working for you.

I am sure that Mr. Fuller would love to have Erin working at one of his restaurants.

Leonard J Nakonechny

C Restaurant GM

You see people ...there are real people behind this show. They make their living acting on this show. Maybe if you have a problem with the show you could email the producers first. Anyway, give it a chance and balance your reviews with respect for those who make a living from this show.

JB

Ah c'mon.....

What the hell happened to lett'n it rip?

No doubt I'm contradicting myself in some previous post, but seriously....

You are kidding of course... right, John :biggrin:

No doubt the producers will be more than happy to hear what we say :smile:

Edited by appreciator (log)

sarah

Always take a good look at what you're about to eat. It's not so important to know what it is, but it's critical to know what it was. --Unknown

Pretty damn bad.

Leonard J Nakonechny

C Restaurant GM

Leonard, I'm talking about the character, not the actress, not making it as a hostess, never mind a manager. From the way it was written. And the way it was shown.

It was not a criticism of your cousin's acting ability, but of the writing. At the 30-minute mark (when I made that comment), that character didn't look as though she could manage a lemonade stand. I should have been clearer, perhaps, although I can't see that I (unlike others) have said anything that says "this or that actor is terrible"; I was talking about the character.

I'm sorry to you and your cousin if she took it badly; there's a little Vancouver eGullet "Earl's Hostess" riff that bounces through the forum, so that is the comparison I chose.

And having majored in drama and theatre through high school and university, I feel I am actually somewhat qualified to have an opinion.

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies

Pretty damn bad.

Leonard J Nakonechny

C Restaurant GM

JB

Ah c'mon.....

What the hell happened to lett'n it rip?

No doubt I'm contradicting myself in some previous post, but seriously....

You are kidding of course... right, John :biggrin:

No doubt the producers will be more than happy to hear what we say :smile:

Yes...I was. It was a very bad attempt at humour at a very early time of day.

Guess I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue!

John

It was the Law of the Sea, they said. Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top.

Hunter S. Thompson ---- R.I.P. 1939 - 2005

"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society."

--Mark Twain

Pretty damn bad.

Leonard J Nakonechny

C Restaurant GM

Leonard, I'm talking about the character, not the actress, not making it as a hostess, never mind a manager. From the way it was written. And the way it was shown.

It was not a criticism of your cousin's acting ability, but of the writing. At the 30-minute mark (when I made that comment), that character didn't look as though she could manage a lemonade stand. I should have been clearer, perhaps, although I can't see that I (unlike others) have said anything that says "this or that actor is terrible"; I was talking about the character.

I'm sorry to you and your cousin if she took it badly; there's a little Vancouver eGullet "Earl's Hostess" riff that bounces through the forum, so that is the comparison I chose.

And having majored in drama and theatre through high school and university, I feel I am actually somewhat qualified to have an opinion.

I guess it is all about being clear.

Leonard

My personal opinion/thoughts after watching the first episode? My background for full disclosure... Vancouver eGullet member, live in Yaletown, not in the restaurant business, but in the television business for over 15 years. (Am not in any way affiliated with this series or network...)

I agree that for any television or film production, authenticity of setting is key. In a fictionalized drama, clever, sharp dialogue and believable acting is also just as important.

While many have been critical of Godiva's for its portrayal of life in a restaurant, as I watched the first episode I felt as though the writers/producers were trying almost TOO hard to be "authentic" to the setting -- and thus much of the dialogue and "lingo" seemed overwraught and more than a little cheesy. Ditto with some of the Vancouver references -- Wreck Beach, pot, etc.

But hey, it's fiction. Fiction writers -- be it in literature or film -- often take stereotypes and blows them into what are believed to be more interesting characters and/or situations. Is that "real?" Nope. Does it make for "good TV?" Sometimes, sometimes not. Depends upon the skill in which it's done.

In Godiva's case, the jury's still out in my opinion. I'm sure Bravo is hoping that this drama will be a success across the country and with all different types of households, not just with the urban foodies.

I'll watch the next episode.

Edited by Xando Head (log)
Food Lover -- nothing more, nothing less

My biggest complaint about this show was the dialogue. It's unrealistic and un-entertaining. I want to compare it to Stewwy (the talking baby) and Brian (the talking dog) on Family Guy. Is what they say un-realistic? Of course. Is it funny? For me it's smart and funny, unlike the crap on this show. To some people Godiva's may be funny and witty. It just doesn't work for me.

Now that guy who does the Jack FM commercials on TV cracks me up. Not enough to listen to the station, but I love that guy.

David Cooper

"I'm no friggin genius". Rob Dibble

http://www.starlinebyirion.com/

Have no fear on my account...after 20 more minutes, I've given up on it...the characters I enjoy watching are outnumbered by those I don't.

That's all, as doubtless the best friends of everyone I'd like to comment about are reading eGullet, ready to castigate me. :wink:

But best of luck to homegrown, of course :smile:

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies

I found the show entertaining.

I think it's ironic that the developing storyline of 'making the place 'hip'' is exactly what the show itself is going for.

I will guiltily admit, to those who hate the show, this show is eerily familiar. I consulted on a friend's project that was very similar to this one, I couldn't stop once the stories started, and the characters are, sorry, but just like reality. Lots of not so bright, or brilliant, not so experienced, or just not very cool people out there.

Maybe it reminds me too much of Lucy Mae Brown, damn, I could swear that busboy has worked for me before. . . .

The shobiz industry has obviously targeted this show to a crowd that isn't restaurant folk, or foodies or people who are more entertained by the art and craft than the showmanship. We aren't the people they want to like the show, I'm afraid.

I think that, love it or hate it, this show will be successful. The full frontal nudity helps, no?

Some criticisms. . . the upselling of the chardonnay did definitely seem forced, I could tell he was insincere. If you truly love this wine, it will show through.

The dj needs work. He's got great visual, but the poor guy is written like a bad 80's strip club announcer. Dj's these days are more like chefs than cheezeball chachis, lots of ego, vision and attitude.

I agree with being very annoyed by the Godiva character, I can see how the writers are very intelligent about making us hate and love, it's how they keep people hooked.

The dynamics of the characters may seem wooden right now, but once one gets to know them, we tend to forgive alot. The real question will be whether the producers can get us to love and hate these characters.

I see where the show is going, is it good? Well, I can't compare it to the simpsons or the family guy, it just wouldn't be fair. I would watch it again.

Bring on the abuse.....

:raz:

Owner

Winebar @ Fiction

Lucy Mae Brown

Century - modern latin -

• 9 months later...

I don't get that channel, but I am a commercial actress aspiring to work in film and TV and they gave me my first speaking role on that show! I have not seen the episode, and I get to say all of two words...but it's a credit and for that I am greatful! :P

I am watching the newish TV series which premiered on Bravo tonight.  This is a sad representation of Vancouver and any restaurant I have worked in.  What are your thoughts?

Wasn't it sort of based on Anthony Bourdain's Kitchen Confidential ??

I haven't watched it yet, but I don't think I would find anything wrong with it. It's not supposed to be an accurate representation of the industry or Vancouver, it's just a kitchen drama show.

Think the "OC" is like the OC? Not a chance. But hey, it gets viewers.

One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.

Virginia Woolf

[host]

I've just merged a couple threads on Godiva's into one thread. The main thread offers some background on the show's development as well, so if you haven't read it, jump back to page 1.

[/host]

A.

Haven't seen the show...but am acquainted with the producer and a good friend is consultant to the show. What I can tell you is that, despite posts to the contrary, the show is extremely well-researched. Certain characters are in fact based on real-life Vancouver restaurant workers (some of whom I know personally). Therefore, whatever direction the show is taking is obviously intentional on the part of the producers/writers.

I would agree with others who have suggested that egullet posters and industry insiders are not necessarily the target audience for this show.

Edited by bigdaddy (log)

Damian du Plessis

Bravo Restaurant & Lounge

Chilliwack, BC

For those of you who missed it on Bravo, the first season of Godiva's is

being rerun on Citytv Sundays at 10 p.m. So if you don't have cable

you can catch up on what everyone's been talking about. The second

season, which premieres Feb. 14, comprises 13 episodes, as opposed

to the first season's six. Looks like the reports of its demise were

greatly exaggerated.

For those of you who missed it on Bravo, the first season of Godiva's is

being rerun on Citytv Sundays at 10 p.m. So if you don't have cable

you can catch up on what everyone's been talking about. The second

season, which premieres Feb. 14, comprises 13 episodes, as opposed

to the first season's six. Looks like the reports of its demise were

greatly exaggerated.

Hee hee! Entertaining thread! Just found it today, just in time to catch Godiva's tonight at 10 pm for the first time. Anyone up for a drinking party? :laugh:

Took time out to watch the show last night because of this thread.

Thought it was very entertaining once you realize that it is simply a

20's-something show set in a restaurant and not intended as a "foodie"

thing. One of the actors from the first season has apparently already

moved on to a meg-bucks part on the "OC".

Look forward to seeing more local talent in the upcoming season, such

as the wonderful Linda Boyd...a veteran of the Vancouver theatre and

restaurant scene.

Damian du Plessis

Bravo Restaurant & Lounge

Chilliwack, BC

Took time out to watch the show last night because of this thread.

Thought it was very entertaining once you realize that it is simply a

20's-something show set in a restaurant and not intended as a "foodie"

thing. One of the actors from the first season has apparently already

moved on to a meg-bucks part on the "OC".

Look forward to seeing more local talent in the upcoming season, such

as the wonderful Linda Boyd...a veteran of the Vancouver theatre and

restaurant scene.

Do you know which actor?