• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

representative ingredient

Is there one food item, tool, or image that you think could easily represent New Orleans or Louisiana culinary culture? I need an idea for one item that is easy (and legal) to transport in an airplane, unlikely to spoil and likely to inspire a group of non-Louisianans to think about our culinary customs. This is probably too much to load up on one thing, but that is my assignment. Any ideas?

would Cajun Crawtaters work? This is hard, there is just too much that is interrelated for me to pick out just ONE thing. Maybe hot sauce?

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

would Cajun Crawtaters work?

Fiddlesticks. Worked a bit too well for me! So well, in fact, that a craving has ensued and I must go to the one local store that regularly caries Zaps. I should never read anything here before lunch.

Stephen Bunge

St Paul, MN

Is there one food item, tool, or image that you think could easily represent New Orleans or Louisiana culinary culture?  I need an idea for one item that is easy (and legal) to transport in an airplane, unlikely to spoil and likely to inspire a group of non-Louisianans to think about our culinary customs.  This is probably too much to load up on one thing, but that is my assignment.  Any ideas?

Would a book do? Not just any book, but Chef John Folse's Encyclopedia of Cajun and Creole Cuisine. It's even better than you can imagine.

gallery_18691_840_56376.jpg

Dear Food: I hate myself for loving you.

• 2 weeks later...
would Cajun Crawtaters work?

Fiddlesticks. Worked a bit too well for me! So well, in fact, that a craving has ensued and I must go to the one local store that regularly caries Zaps. I should never read anything here before lunch.

I saw zaps at Shaws and wondered how well they sell up there..I guess pretty good heh?