• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

EAT! Magazine

jamiemaw

Funny,

Tojo is the only one to have done any mise! Andre Durbach needs to be locked up. Somebody should give Gord an Apple & peeler. However the big question is where are all the commis bitches to peel the spuds anyway??

Funny,

Tojo is the only one to have done any mise! Andre Durbach needs to be locked up. Somebody should give Gord an Apple & peeler. However the big question is where are all the commis bitches to peel the spuds anyway??

Gord dropped his knife getting out of the car and stabbed his foot !

I am the fastest potato peeler in the place ! You should have seen me go during Dine Out with roasted root vegetables for the plates !

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

www.hamiltonstreetgrill.com

Picked my copy up at Urban Fare last night -- had two big stacks in the back at the magazine section.

Was it just me, or was that the wrong caption on the dosa photo on p. 12?

Enjoyed this issue -- thought the Vancouver chefs photo was splendid... And it's also very interesting for me to read about the Victoria food scene. After living in BC for 7 years, I still have never been to Victoria...

Food Lover -- nothing more, nothing less

haven't made it to victoria! come on over - we'll all fill you in on where to go. eat magazine is a good resource for most of the major players - or check out the growing victoria section on waiterblog.com

For the record, although the article that quotes me suggests I post a record of bad tippers on waiterblog I can assure you I don't. It's bitterwaitress.com that does.

Not that I don't think it's a great idea... :wink:

I keep a mental registry for that sort of thing. :biggrin:

Andrew Morrison

Food Columnist | The Westender

Editor & Publisher | Scout Magazine

For the record, although the article that quotes me suggests I post a record of bad tippers on waiterblog I can assure you I don't. It's bitterwaitress.com that does.

I keep a mental registry for that sort of thing.  :biggrin:

I just checked out Bitterwaitress.com - :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Is there any way to search the STD for Vancouver entries?

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

www.leecarney.com

So just what do you consider a bad tip? Less than xx ...... what percentage? :biggrin:

Okay... now before my hand gets slapped for being off topic....

I just picked up this latest issue - May/June - and, WOW, I am impressed. You (Gary, Carolyn, Shelora, Jane etc.) are more than giving CityFood a run for the money, I'd say.

It's a splendid issue.

Looking forward to reading it in detail.

sarah

Always take a good look at what you're about to eat. It's not so important to know what it is, but it's critical to know what it was. --Unknown

So just what do you consider a bad tip? Less than xx ...... what percentage? :biggrin:

Okay... now before my hand gets slapped for being off topic....

I just picked up this latest issue - May/June - and, WOW, I am impressed. You (Gary, Carolyn, Shelora, Jane etc.) are more than giving CityFood a run for the money, I'd say.

It's a splendid issue.

Looking forward to reading it in detail.

thanks for the thumbs up! I'll pass your message on to Gary,

and please pass the magazines on to your friends...

Just had a quick flip through so far, but things I liked include:

* spring recipies from local chefs. Feenie's and Hawksworth's soups sound great, and the variety of halibut recipies is also a good resource.

* decentralized approach, beyond Vancouver. Even though I live in Vancouver, there is quite a bit of Island coverage which is cool to read about - and tempts you over for a visit.

* teaser: here's the photo of the Vancouver chefs, Q&A to start next issue!

Good issue, but I'm disappointed that the article about John Bishop didn't mention his new association with White Spot :wink:.

I heard that Rob Feenie was pushing White Spot to consider a sous vide installation but John didn't support it :wink::laugh:.

Seriously, it is a good issue.

Cheers,

Anne

I remember when EAT was PIG(pacific island gourmet) I have allways dug this mag for its grass roots-blood sweat and tears approach to actually getting issues published and for showcasing the greatest place to cook on Earth-Vancouver Island. I love the latest issue and feel it is the strongest yet. Keep up the good work.

Shelora, did you get to keep the Thermomix?

cook slow, eat slower

J.Chovancek

Picked up my copy at the liquor store. They've placed it in the rack meant for the Cityfood paper. I love it! Frankly, I think it's a much more worthwhile read than Cityfood. With the exception of the last two publications, Cityfood has focused too much advertisement and articles on wine and not enough on food.

Initially it was difficult to find Eat but now it seems to be everywhere I go -- Choices, Capers...great work on getting this out. Thanks!

EAT is showing it's strength with great articles, provincial coverage (well, the bigger bits), lots of content (you've gotta laugh at the mag that has the courage to include an article of ways not to use a napkin! - with photos). Good stuff for all. :wub:

I really appreciate the EAT group portraits, although, perhaps it is somewhat unavoidable, some worthy chefs have been left out nevertheless. I, for example, noticed the absence of Stephane Meyer (of Piccolo Mondo, now Saveur) and John Bishop (of Bishop's), although the latter is special-featured only pages later.

Now that I know the editors are reading this thread, may I ask this question: What's the proper way of associating the listed names with the faces of the 27 Vancouver Island chefs? Or is that the puzzle of the issue that comes with a prize?

The call went out, for a time and place, whoever showed up got their picture taken. I believe it might be that simple.

How to identify chefs with names? What an excellent question! Stay tuned for the next issue of EAT magazine.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Shelora,

actually it didn't really work that way -not quite whoever showed up. It took me about two weeks to get them on board and there wasn't room for everyone so it was a difficult decision - I think I got all the "mainstream" in however. Everyone showed who I asked excepting Denis at Bishops.

cheers,

Jane

I really appreciate the EAT group portraits, although, perhaps it is somewhat unavoidable, some worthy chefs have been left out nevertheless. I, for example, noticed the absence of Stephane Meyer (of Piccolo Mondo, now Saveur) and John Bishop (of Bishop's), although the latter is special-featured only pages later.

Now that I know the editors are reading this thread, may I ask this question: What's the proper way of associating the listed names with the faces of the 27 Vancouver Island chefs? Or is that the puzzle of the issue that comes with a prize?

The call went out, for a time and place, whoever showed up got their picture taken. I believe it might be that simple.

How to identify chefs with names? What an excellent question! Stay tuned for the next issue of EAT magazine.

• 3 months later...

Just read the latest - Sept/Oct - issue of EAT. It's a great issue - chock-full of really good info about our food-corner of the world.

My continuing criticism of the magazine is, however, the high level of typographical errors in print. Is the layout copy not being proofed prior to going to press? (I once had a proof-reading job, so I'm sensitive to this sort of thing.)

As a writer of a story - for example, Shelora Sheldan's wonderful foodie-tour of Olympia, Washington - I'd be a bit miffed to find such a blatant error in the spelling of the city name in the headline: Oylmpia. :shock:

Memo

Ríate y el mundo ríe contigo. Ronques y duermes solito.

Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Snore, and you sleep alone.

Memo, I'm totally with you on this one. Although my egullet posts have typos in them - the font is so dang small on my computer! - I am a spelling freak in my other life and read papers with a red pen in hand. But, I must say, Eat is still way better that City Food on the typographical errors - or at least it seems so to me.

Laura Fauman

Vancouver Magazine

I love reading the Chefs Talk article. Check out Garrett Sharpe, The Temple's response (p.30,Sept/Oct issue) It gave me a chuckle

I thought Garrett's response was one of the best. Most of the responses were so dang unimaginative!

The chefs were being asked what - with an unlimited budget - they'd put on the special sheet. Most of them go blah-blah about how they have the best ingredients right here, so why look anywhere else...etc.

You'd think (hopefully) being the creative people they are - with cost not an issue - the chefs might have gone hog-wild in their responses.

Memo

Edited by Memo (log)

Ríate y el mundo ríe contigo. Ronques y duermes solito.

Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Snore, and you sleep alone.