• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

EAT! Magazine

jamiemaw

CULINARY TOURISM may be the new phrase du jour that describes the tourists ravaging our restaurants like cicadas in a wheat field. But few are the reliable guides.

So welcome to the May/June issue of EAT--just published--it takes a broad (56 page) survey of matters culinaire in diverse geographic areas: the Island, Nelson, the Okanagan (nicely compiled by Joie Guesthouse owner Heidi Noble), Vancouver, Gabriola, Saanich, Cowichan and Tofino. Nathan Fong even compares BC with Australia.

There's also a lot of front-of-house interviewing--of servers and sommeliers--and a chef's night off piece.

Lots of timely information and some ambitious research.

Congrats to publisher/editor Gary Hynes and contributing editor Caroline Bateman. Gary informs that he's dropping the magazine in about 400 spots across the province, about 100 in Vancouver. I found mine at the Granville Island Hotel.

from the thinly veneered desk of:

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

www.vancouvermagazine.com

Foodblog: In the Belly of the Feast - Eating BC

"Profumo profondo della mia carne"

Good Morning Jamie,

I have to agree with you on Eat Magazine a super read, really enjoyed all the in depth writing really genuine articles.......loved it!

Also enjoy your spots in Vancouver Magazine, which reminds me I must renew my subsciption, do you know if Eat Magazine is available for home delivery in Canada or the U.S?

MAP

I just finished reading the Eat magazine and really enjoyed it as well. I picked mine up at Urban Fair. I particulary like the 'New Okanagan article, we have a cabin on Skaha and have been going there years but never new there was a italian deli in Penticton or great Indian food in Oliver, we are heading up there next week and think we will just have to get some take out.

DANIELLE

"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well."

-Virginia Woolf

• 4 months later...

Epicure and Travel (EAT) magazine goes from strength to strength--the Sept/Oct issue is 56 pages of accurately researched, interesting stuff from across the lower province. Congrats to Gary Hynes, the Victoria-based publisher who's now assigning some good stories in Vancouver too: Murray Bancroft's on izakaya dining (that was Murray in the National Post this weekend--getting married) is particularly good. Nathan Fong writes on tapas (as in Spanish tapas, remember them?) and Jane Mundy looks at Cicchetti's, Pacific Crab Company, One and Bravo Bistro.

Heidi Noble (Joie Guesthouse) files on the Casccadia Culinary Arts Festival on Whidbey Island and Mara Jernigan (Engeler Farm) on a fortnight in Piedmont. Don Genova compares the Cowichan Valley to Provence.

EAT magazine

Nice work, and the price is right.

Jamie

Edited by jamiemaw (log)

from the thinly veneered desk of:

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

www.vancouvermagazine.com

Foodblog: In the Belly of the Feast - Eating BC

"Profumo profondo della mia carne"

Everytime I get a day off - few and far between (day 27) - I go to Shelter in Tofino and order a big double cut pork chop and drink woodford bourboun and read the current issue of Eat - then I look through the bathroom magazines to find the last issue of Eat because I've been in camp for so long I haven't read that either - kudos to Jamie for mentioning an island favorite of mine.

• 5 months later...

I picked up the March/April EAT Magazine this afternoon. A few of the highlights:

Vancouver and Victoria hotel dining

Artisan Cheese Desserts

Asian Palate - as series of articles on Asian influences on BC food - includes recipes

Edited by barolo (log)

Cheers,

Anne

hi barolo ~

as writer and taster of cheese dessert article, i say thank you! someone is reading it. :smile:

how are you finding availability of the magazine in vancouver?

I find availability sort of hit and miss (?) Sometimes there are stacks of them...then I don't see it anywhere for a loooooooong time??

Hey, Treve, what is the circulation anyway??

John

It was the Law of the Sea, they said. Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top.

Hunter S. Thompson ---- R.I.P. 1939 - 2005

"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society."

--Mark Twain

how are you finding availability of the magazine in vancouver?

Hi Treve: Not just reading it - picking up extra copies to pass on to friends and relatives. I have no problems finding it, I'm often at Marquis Wine Cellars and they always seem to have stacks. This month I picked it up at the Cookshop downtown.

Cheers,

Anne

EAT prints about 30,000 every two months and has expanded to whistler, the interior and the lower mainland. generally they are found where foodie-minded people gather. if you want to carry it in your restaurant or shop, just drop them a line - www.eatmagazine.ca

thanks for all the positive response. We are working on distribution -- not an easy thing due to space constraints and having the new kid on the block (Vancouver being the block) getting the foot in the door.

We plan on focusing more and more on Vancouver and will have more drop sites in the very near future. Meanwhile, please pick up a few extra copies and pass them around,

cheers,

Jane Mundy

LOL....Hey Jane how about Edmonton as well?

Seems like every time we are in Victoria the table beside us in from Edmonton...Brio and L'Ecole love those WestJet seat sales!

How about a few copies to the hotel concierges? We usually stay at the Ocean Pointe and they did not have any copies on hand.

I was surprised when I asked about where I could find a copy at the Tourism Victoria building on the edge of the inner harbour that they did not know. That would seem to be to be a prime location for a publication like yours with all its "foodie" advice for local restauranteurs and producers.

Turns out diagonally across the street there was a distribution box where I managed to snag a rather weatherbeaten copy that I replaced with the one from the up scale cooking shop on Trounce Alley.

We are back out in June...can you send me a copy? [smile]

"I was surprised when I asked about where I could find a copy at the Tourism Victoria building on the edge of the inner harbour that they did not know"

Anyone with brochures at Tourism Victoria has had to pay and pay well, for that advertising space. I think they would like to keep it that way.

We are always looking for new locations to distribute the magazine and this summer we will conduct another blitz. Especially the hotels.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Merlin,

we are distributing to some hotels and not sure about Ocean Pointe. Could be that they were sold out...thanks for your kind words and you can always subscirbe for a measly few bucks!

just go to www.eatmagazine.com

and have it delivered to your door.

cheers

LOL....Hey Jane how about Edmonton as well? 

Seems like every time we are in Victoria the table beside us in from Edmonton...Brio and L'Ecole love those WestJet seat sales!

How about a few copies to the hotel concierges?  We usually stay at the Ocean Pointe and they did not have any copies on hand. 

I was surprised when I asked about where I could find a copy at the Tourism Victoria building on the edge of the inner harbour that they did not know.  That would seem to be to be a prime location for a publication like yours with all its "foodie" advice for local restauranteurs and producers.

Turns out diagonally across the street there was a distribution box where I managed to snag a rather weatherbeaten copy that I replaced with the one from the up scale cooking shop on Trounce Alley.

We are back out in June...can you send me a copy? [smile]

Shelora

I just wanted to say how much I enjoy EAT. Though there were a couple things that I would have comments about (what a surpise eh? - an egullet person who wants to say something) it was great to see such a BC focused publication. It also confirms alot of what I have heard about Vancouver Island being the next big food destination - in the Napa Valley league of things.

I went through the last issue pretty quickly and I was all eager to share this new 'find'. Then I saw your name and it looked awfully familiar...

Anyways - I went to capers in Vancouver today it was not there. I think that I got it at Whole Foods in West Van last time. Are there other places that I can be certain that they would carry it?

Edited by canucklehead (log)

...thanks for your kind words and you can always subscirbe for a measly few bucks!

cheers

awaiting the details...sent the email this morning...keep up the good work

A bundle was just dropped off at Urban Fare. Most wine stores have it including Vintropolis and Marquis. On 4th Ave. check Duthie Books and another lot will be delivered to Capers.

...thanks for your kind words and you can always subscirbe for a measly few bucks!

cheers

awaiting the details...sent the email this morning...keep up the good work

• 3 weeks later...

Finally was able to find this edition.

Wanted to say the articles are Chinese food were very good. The writers are clearly of my background - old school chinese kids who grew up in Vancouver during the 70's and remember when Chinatown was insanely busy and had some of the highest rents in the city. Great introduction to Cantonese food. The articles kind of gloss over the impact of Hong Kong immigration during the late 80's and early 90's - but still a pretty comprehensive series of articles.

Very funny that Floata Restaurant is identified as 'Floater' throughout the article (even with a large picture attached). Oh - the magic of spelling auto correct!

Great little magazine.

Anyone know where it can be found in the City Hall area of Vancouver?

"One chocolate truffle is more satisfying than a dozen artificially flavored dessert cakes." Darra Goldstein, Gastronomica Journal, Spring 2005 Edition

• 5 weeks later...