• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

EAT! Magazine

jamiemaw

Nice article on Rare as well ... albeit sparse.

In my mixology column this issue, I mention the good work that Jesse Carroll and Tim Keller have been doing with Rare's cocktail program.

</blatant self-promotion>

• 1 month later...

The July/August edition of EAT is out. Here's some of the contents:

- restaurant reviews of Glo Europub, Sanafir, Nyala, Markus' Wharfside Restaurant, Dunsmuir Lodge, Panache at Bear Mountian, April Point and Equinox

- wine from the south of France and Italy

- Shelora does odd things with an iron

- Julie Pegg drives from Vancouver to Bracebridge Ontario and reports on the cafes, diners, cafes and bakeries along the way

- a big section on local purveyors of good food

- Treve Ring on the first fruit distillery in Western Canada

Cheers,

Anne

The July/August edition of EAT is out.  Here's some of the contents:

- restaurant reviews of Glo Europub, Sanafir, Nyala, Markus' Wharfside Restaurant, Dunsmuir Lodge, Panache at Bear Mountian, April Point and Equinox

I think EAT is a great mag and I really appreciate its positive contribution to the food and wine scene on the Island, but would anyone like to comment on the usefullness of the restaurant 'reviews' in this publication? It's my business, so am curious how they read to other folks?

I think EAT is a great mag and I really appreciate its positive contribution to the food and wine scene on the Island, but would anyone like to comment on the usefullness of the restaurant 'reviews' in this publication?

Since it's your business - why don't you go first. :smile:

Ríate y el mundo ríe contigo. Ronques y duermes solito.

Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Snore, and you sleep alone.

I think EAT is a great mag and I really appreciate its positive contribution to the food and wine scene on the Island, but would anyone like to comment on the usefullness of the restaurant 'reviews' in this publication?

Since it's your business - why don't you go first. :smile:

haha - I was attempting not to be an antagonist (or at least minimise my natural antagonism). I think about restaurant reviews every day - so I"m biased and hypercritical. For that reason, I deemed my opinion not terribly useful to a constructive argument. My opinion however (since you ask), is that while the writers seem genuine, the absence of negative comment makes me as smidge suspicious about how 'critical' the reviews are. I'd like to know how they read to other people? It's an advertising-based publication, largely dependent on restaurant advertising, so of course there are going to be some editorial limitations; at the same time, I also get the impression that there's a lot of 'love' put into that magazine by the contributors - I want to understand how that balances. Just because (i think) the reviews are more promotional than critique doesn't invalidate their use - I'm just curious how useful? So to rephrase my question, what do people enjoy about the reviews?

Edited by christabel (log)

I use EAT! more as a resource than anything else. i.e. it informs me of new restaurants, suppliers, festivals, etc. For example, the issue that featured the 3 reporters going down to Portland, OR. As I travel there at least once a year, I was interested to see where they would go. It was well writen, well researched, and read more like "information" than "review."

Any source of restaurant review (published, broadcast, internet, etc.) is IMO subject to a certain amount of suspision. Some moreso than others, but not even Jamie Maw reads completely unbiased to me. As such, reviews that are overly positive (eG has been accused of this) are no more or no less usefull to me than those that are overly negative (Gillster are you listening?? :biggrin: ) You either find a reviewer in whom you feel you have found a kindred culinary spirit, or you read a lot and make up your own mind.

EAT! simply does the best job of covering the food scene in this area. Reviews are only a small part of that.

A.

Any source of restaurant review (published, broadcast, internet, etc.) is IMO subject to a certain amount of suspision.  Some moreso than others, but not even Jamie Maw reads completely unbiased to me.  As such, reviews that are overly positive (eG has been accused of this) are no more or no less usefull to me than those that are overly negative (Gillster are you listening?? :biggrin: )  You either find a reviewer in whom you feel you have found a kindred culinary spirit, or you read a lot and make up your own mind.

Thanks for the feedback and I agree. I try, but I find it challenging to always write a constructive and balanced review - nobody's perfect, and very few people (or restaurants) are without their good points, but review balance is an elusive animal. Having been a writer in a variety of fields (predominitly food, travel and wine, but as broadly as finance, IT and automotive), I think the 'review' column is the hardest to write from a journalistic perspective. I may be nerd'ing out on a journalistic detail and less a culinary one, but understanding how things 'read,' interests me.

• 2 months later...

Just picked up the latest issue of Eat! (@ Barbara Jo's on GI)

A couple nice articles from Andrew Morrison on the service side of things ... a little ironic now that he's moved on from serving. Well written just the same.

I surprisingly like the article on dining in Toronto. Surprised because a) I've had bad luck dining in TO, and b) I've come to expect EAT to have more of a West Coast focus i.e. Portland, OR and the Napa Valley are fine, but looking east of the Rockie's seems outside the magazine's mandate. Still, I enjoyed the read and will keep the rec's for my next visit.

Shelora's contributions include this bit of wisdom:

Then why not do like the sauna-loving Fins who are purported to beat themselves into health and well-being with branches of laurel.  It might hurt a bit, but at the very least, you'll smell fantastic.

Oh, beeeeehave! :laugh:

A.

Shelora's contributions include this bit of wisdom:

Then why not do like the sauna-loving Fins who are purported to beat themselves into health and well-being with branches of laurel.  It might hurt a bit, but at the very least, you'll smell fantastic.

Oh, beeeeehave! :laugh:

A.

Actually I believe Finns use birch branches.

Laurel is what was used for those wreaths that ancient Greeks and Romans wore on their heads, usually as a symbol of victory - hence "rest on your laurels".

And yes, I know I'm being pedantic.

Cheers,

Anne

I was particularly interested in the Duncan Holmes piece -Critical EN Masse. I'm sure meat suppliers around the city are dealing with orders for bigger steaks. It hardly seems fair that restaurants are expected to satisfy "as much as two people can eat" Alex( :raz:), it's like going undercover as Mr Creosote. Everybody was extremely diplomatic in not slagging off PR reps., i think that is called not shooting oneself in the foot, not a good blacklist to be on for a restaurant critic- fair enough. I most readily identify with the Pawsey approach , seems the most relavant to my life(somebody should give the man a budget). Although all the others have their moments.

I would be interested to know from Andrew if the tip pool that was shared by waitstaff @ Chambar extended further to the kitchen, with perhaps a bigger share of the pie????-owners take note.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

The January/February 07 EAT is out. As usual it is upbeat and full of information from around the province, restaurant reviews, recipes etc. There's a new website where you can read the latest edition on-line if you are willing to register:EAT Magazine

I'll stick to the print edition.

Cheers,

Anne

Thanks Barolo for posting the online edition link for EAT. As I live in northern BC, I don't have access to the print edition of this magazine and am looking forward to checking it out.

A truly destitute man is not one without riches, but the poor wretch who has never partaken of lobster. - anonymous

I checked out the online edition. Impressive, easy to navigate.... nice articles by Vancitygirl.

Thanks Barolo for posting the online edition link for EAT. As I live in northern BC, I don't have access to the  print edition of this magazine and am looking forward to checking it out.

• 2 months later...

For those of you who haven’t seen it yet, the March/April EAT is out, on-line or on paper. It’s the “green” edition. Even my mother’s Canadian Living Magazine has a green edition for March so green is about as mainstream as you can get these days.

Anyway there’s:

Reports on Victoria restaurants:

- Paradiso di Stella

- Kadalima’s Bakery and Café

- Guru Korean Bar and Grill

- Café Vieux Montreal

- Konpira

- Sec’s on the Square

- Habit Coffee and Culture

Reports Vancouver restaurants:

- La Buca

- Lucky Diner

- Fuel

- Tojo’s

- Prima Taste

A report on Scott Jaeger at Bocuse d’Or

Shelora Sheldan goes to New York for 5 days (my favourite article)

Various green stuff

100 mile diet at Raincity Grill

“Clean conscience wines”

“Green Table” pioneers

Etc, etc

Cheers,

Anne

• 5 months later...

I missed an edition, but the September/October edition of EAT is on the street and presumably on-line.

Contents include:

Artisan distillers in BC

an interview with Jeff Van Geest of Aurora Bistro

an interview Gary and Naty King, local celebrity farmers

a sherry tasting article where they forgot to include the tasting notes

various restaurant reviews from Vancouver, Victoria and the rest of the Island

etc, etc

Cheers,

Anne

The full issue is available online in full digital format. Take a look here.

The November issue is coming together right now and it's looking great.

Thanks for reading.  :smile:

Thanks to EAT, now when I Google myself I no longer only get some obscure post I made on some geneology forum three years ago.

Woot!

-- Matt.

• 1 month later...

November/December 2007 edition is out now.

Features include:

Andrew on the next generation of Vancouver restaurateurs plus Vancouver restaurant reviews

Chris Stearns interviews Andrey Durback of Parkside

Kathryn MaAree on wood fired bakeries

Christmas recipes by Nathan Fong

Shelora on Red Fish Blue Fish, anchovies and langos

The sherry tasting notes that got left off last edition plus holiday wine suggestions and Larry Arnold's suggestions

etc, etc

Cheers,

Anne

• 1 month later...

The January/February 2008 EAT is on the street and web. This edition’s features include:

- A Chris Stearns interview with David Hawksworth: Intriguing comments on what to expect from his restaurant-to-be in the Hotel Georgia, he still doesn’t have a handle on Pacific Northwest Cuisine and the joys and sorrows of cooking locally in Vancouver.

- Andrew Morrison on Nuevo Latino cuisine in Vancouver: Only 1 percent of British Columbians are Latin American according to Morrison, but there seems to be a lot of interest in the cuisine judging by the posts I see in this forum.

- Heidi Fink on Victoria’s Chinatown which is celebrating its 150th anniversary

- Gary Hynes on politically correct chocolate

- Andrew Morrison on Vancouver restaurant openings

- Elizabeth Smyth on Victoria restaurants

- Michaela Morris and Michelle Bouffard on Oregon Pinot Noir

- Shelora Sheldan, Julie Pegg, Sylvia Winestock, Larry Arnold and various other regulars

Cheers,

Anne

• 6 months later...

I've missed a few - the July/August EAT is on the streets featuring stories on urban lot farming, pasture raised bison and cattle, Tofino, some Vancouver and Victoria restaurant openings, an interview with a spot prawn fisher, etc, etc

Cheers,

Anne

• 2 months later...

September EAT is on the streets:

The start of a series on Seattle. This month Shelora Sheldan and Treve Ring tell us their favourite spots

"Victoria's Culinary DNA" (Jamie Maw lives!). Gillie Easton starts her research at the Vancouver Island Health Authority. In the beginning - Sooke Harbour House - really?!? Nothing new here.

Andrew Morrison reports on Vancouver: Trattoria Italian Kitchen, The Calling, Beach House, Revel, Moderne Burger.

Andrew on the quest for a good schnitzel. The opening line: "With a small German population, Vancouver has never been much of schnitzel town". Well Robsonstrasse is long gone, but not quite "never". See Victoria's Culinary DNA above - it all started 30 years ago.

Apple recipes from Nathan Fong.

A comforting fall country dinner - recipes.

Okanagan road trip to visit the usual suspects. Am I the only person who finds most Okanagan winery architecture horrific? No one ever seems to write anything critical about the Okanagan. I think there's lots of ugliness and nastiness going on. Where are the sustainability and heritage police when you need them?

Lots of other content.

Cheers,

Anne