• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

EAT! Magazine

jamiemaw

I took the last copy from Barbara Jo's at Granville Island Net Loft this morning. I have only had a chance to glance at the first 3 or 4 pages and have to say - GREAT STUFF. I am almost (but not quite) ready to drop $140 on a BC ferries ticket to Van. Island. Then I remember what that could get me in food and wine locally and decide I don't need to go to the Island. Maybe sometime soon - there certainly seems to be many wonderful reasons to go to the Island.

Cheers,

Karole

Does anyone know why the BC liquor stores have pulled Eat?

I asked why they didn't have the G.S. and was advised that they had a new manager who didn't allow anything but BCLD printed materials to be placed in the racks in the store. I didn't realize that maybe that meant all of B.C. That means no CityFood over here. :sad:

It's not a particular manager that is pulling ALL non-LDB prints. It is head office's new mandate. The Lower Mainland area manager, Tim Tolmey is the person to vent your frustration. "Signature" stores will eventually replace all current LDB stores (notice the exact same decorations they have for this year's Christmas.) I think this is ridiculous as Eat and CityFood has ads related to alcohol. The LDB own magazines (which they have two) is not that great. Other place I've seen Eat is the West 16th Choices Market.

Please don't think I was venting when I asked about the G.S., all I did was ask, and then when told, I said, well, that's too bad as the G.S. often recommended great wines and other purchases available at the B.C.L.D.B. I have noticed though of late, that many stores are disappearing, and saw an ad in a local paper on behalf of the BC employees union regarding their disapproval of that. No mention of any of that here though, until your post.

I have to wonder what restaurant owners/managers think of the aforementioned B.C.L.D.B. changes. The smaller operations seem to purchase their products directly from the local stores, will the change affect their operation or costs?

Please enlighten us, what are "Signature" stores, and will there still be "Specialty" stores?

Sounds like there is a major upheaval happening, how come nothing has really come up in the media about it. And the news last night about the raises, shi.te.......

The "Flavours" magazine is quite nice, but I have a hunch that it is based on the Ontario LDB magazine of the same nature..... any forums that I peruse that include Ontario based posters, they are thrilled and excited when a new issue is available.

Well, off to look for Eat and any hints about CityFood....... besides Granville Island, where we can find both IIRC? :smile:

Sorry if this is not directly related to Eat Magazine but I thought I'd answer the question.

Smaller stores will be closed (regardless that the government said there will be only a limited number of closures.) New larger stores, Signature stores, will replace those in more viable areas. It will provide samplings of food pairing, cooking demos, and "improved" customer service. The main Cambie and 39th is undergoing renos for this and the Maple and Broadway store is destined to be a Signature store once approved.

As to the Eat Magazine, I have had no problems finding them at Capers, Choices and the other suggested areas above.

• 1 month later...

Okay, okay. So this has nothing to do with Dine Out Vancouver, but anyways ...

Hey, is EAT magazine looking for a proof reader, or at least someone with a working copy of MS Word? I am free next week ... this magazine, love it as I do, it starting to read like the Times-Colonist. Seriously.

- edited to remove offensive and off topic link-

-- Matt.

Edited by Matt R. (log)

Three comments:

1. There are some good menus here, at first glance Fireside and the Marine Pub at BB Lodge.

2. Having said that, is it just me or are the menus at the Marine Pub and the Arbutus Grill the same? So it's a $10 premium to sit on the other side of the wall?

3. Herald St is offering both the $25 and the $35 menus! Miraculously early resurrection, faked its own death, or someone forgot to phone Tourism Victoria on the way out the door?

Good luck Matt, I hope the madness is the same on the other side of the Straight as it will be here.

Hey, is EAT magazine looking for a proof reader, or at least someone with a working copy of MS Word? I am free next week ... this magazine, love it as I do, it starting to read like the Times-Colonist. Seriously.

Matt, I don't get it?

BTW - The new issue of EAT arrived at the West Van Capers today.

Edited by Andrew Morrison (log)

Andrew Morrison

Food Columnist | The Westender

Editor & Publisher | Scout Magazine

Matt, I don't get it?

Well, I do get it (Matt's reference), as someone who spends a lot of time in Victoria - generally trying to avoid reading the T-C.

The Times Colonist is notorious for typos.

But, unlike EAT magazine - which is chock-full of local/original content - 99-percent of the T-C's copy is pulled right off the wire service.

The T-C does have a weekly restaurant reviewer - a very generous one.

She regularly gives four stars (and if I'm not mistaken, recently gave Herald Street Caffe top sparkles)!

Memo - Insider to the Stars

Ríate y el mundo ríe contigo. Ronques y duermes solito.

Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Snore, and you sleep alone.

Matt, I don't get it?

BTW - The new issue of EAT arrived at the West Van Capers today.

Sorry, sorry. Perhaps it was a little late for me to be making a coherent, 100% on topic post. My point was that after sitting down to read EAT, I noticed a few typo's and factual errors on the first few pages. This is just sloppy in my opinion.

Obviously (if only to me), the connection between EAT and the Times-Colonist was tongue in cheek. This does not always come across when sitting at a computer. EAT is full of interesting, intelligent and relevant original content. The TC gets most of it's press from the news wires, with many, many errors. Ever finish a column, turn to page B9 for the rest of it, only to find it's not there? Bush league.

Blah, anyways. The original offending post has been edited, and I will try to start a new, relevant topic when the time comes.

-- Matt.

I just noticed that one of the photos accompanying my EAT piece had a caption referencing Bin 949. While not as embarrassing as the West Ender's "Nu Standards In Dining" mistake (when the copy guy thought it was a typo and fixed it to read No Standards in Dining - once again, sorry Leonard), but indicative enough to remind us that with all things considered, the printed word is sweet enough in its own right and that we can deal with a few imperfections.

The Times Colonist, however, is just freak nasty. :biggrin: And what the foie happened to Monday Magazine? Red Meat is now the only amusing thing in there.

Andrew Morrison

Food Columnist | The Westender

Editor & Publisher | Scout Magazine

I just noticed that one of the photos accompanying my EAT piece had a caption referencing Bin 949. While not as embarrassing as the West Ender's "Nu Standards In Dining" mistake (when the copy guy thought it was a typo and fixed it to read No Standards in Dining - once again, sorry Leonard), but indicative enough to remind us that with all things considered, the printed word is sweet enough in its own right and that we can deal with a few imperfections.

I heard that Gord was opening up Bin 943, 944, 945, 946, 947, 948 and 949. They will be located in Vanderhoff, Terrace, Trail, Princeton, Powell River, Tumbler Ridge and Bella Coola. He is also producing a line of wines with the same Bin names, partnering with Wayne Gretzky, although he will source the grapes from a variety of producers from Fort St. John. He has purchased a helicopter so he can travel from restaurant to restaurant all within a day. His future plans involve more restaurants further north.

Gastronomista

...with all things considered, the printed word is sweet enough in its own right and that we can deal with a few imperfections.

I heard that Gord was opening up Bin 943, 944, 945, 946, 947, 948 and 949...

You forgot to mention Bin 666! :biggrin:

Regarding EAT and other publications' typos, etc...

I think what is happening is that with the rush for printing deadlines, key elements like typographical errors are not being checked. I often hear the excuse - "well, even the 'big guys' [mainstream press] have typos".

PS - Am I the only one who has noticed that the eGullet clock is one hour ahead - and has been for months!

For instance, I just modified/added this note @ 8:04 PST - and it notes (incorrectly) that I made the modification @ 9:04 (or thereabouts). :shock:

Memo, Insider to the Stars

Edited by Memo (log)

Ríate y el mundo ríe contigo. Ronques y duermes solito.

Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Snore, and you sleep alone.

• 3 weeks later...

complaining about typos is quite funny when you just made one in your remark...

(hope you can find it)

Okay, okay.  So this has nothing to do with Dine Out Vancouver, but anyways ...

Hey, is EAT magazine looking for a proof reader, or at least someone with a working copy of MS Word?  I am free next week ... this magazine, love it as I do, it starting to read like the Times-Colonist.  Seriously.

-- Matt.

oops sorry, that comment was intended for Mark R and his comment about EAT needing a proofreader. Feel free to criticize my sloppy posting...

(hope you can find it)

Hey, is EAT magazine looking for a proof reader, or at least someone with a working copy of MS Word?  I am free next week ... this magazine, love it as I do, it starting to read like the Times-Colonist.  Seriously.

-- Matt.

yikes I screwed up again! I mean Matt R...sorry

oops sorry, that comment was intended for Mark R and his comment about EAT needing a proofreader. Feel free to criticize my sloppy posting...

(hope you can find it)

-- Matt.

it starting to read like the Times-Colonist. Seriously.

you mean is starting...

sorry, just had to do it.

(hope you can find it)

* reading downthread and not taking bait *

-- Matt.

• 1 month later...

March/April 2006 Edition is out.

Contents include:

A story on the food stylist from Godiva's

Shelora on harrisa, chocolate, beef and more

Thoughts on food and wine pairing

Reviews of Saltlik, Abigail's Party, Railspur Alley Cafe and Bistro, and Curious in Vancouver.

Review of Fili's Bottego in Courtenay

Review of Queen Mother Waterside Cafe in Victoria

A primer on Vietnamese Restaurants

Cookbook publishing

Visiting Portland

Food from Singapore

Breathing new life into pasta

A taste test of chicken - organic to basic supermarket

and much more.

Cheers,

Anne

I for one was very dissapointed with the article on beer. The author clearly fell for the budwiesser mentality. Having done their homework and been true lovers of beer, they would have known that age is vital to some beers and that premium european beers do not all go bad by the time they reach us. Few do and likely even fewer people know what a stale beer or worse (and rarer still) off beer tastes like.

For a good explaination of this very topic see below

http://www.accidentalhedonist.com/index.ph...brewer_responds

• 1 month later...
Nice article on Rare as well ... albeit sparse.

And for crying out loud ... it's eGullet.ORD, not eGullet.COM!

A.

Hey pal, we can see how easily typos can be made.

It is egullet.org

And no, you can not go back and edit yours. Or delete this.

Wanna bet?? :biggrin:

Ah, the internet. How quickly a fool I become ...

A.