• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

EAT! Magazine

jamiemaw

Feedbag, in Vancouver you can almost always find a fresh copy at Barbara Jo's, Gourmet Warehouse, Capers, Cookworks... the usual suspects on this board. Maxmillan even got a previous ed at a liquor store. I don't think they have a website tho. Yet...

.... My continuing criticism of the magazine is, however, the high level of typographical errors in print. Is the layout copy not being proofed prior to going to press? (I once had a proof-reading job, so I'm sensitive to this sort of thing.)....

Hmmm... interesting.... I was under the impression that they engaged the services of a copy editor. Perhaps some articles/headers go to print w/o the benefit of a good proof :unsure:

Will keep my eyes peeled for this, latest, issue.

:hmmm: I wonder if we can have a host change the Tag Line of this thread so that it just reads: "Eat Magazine" and is not issue specific......

Edited by appreciator (log)

sarah

Always take a good look at what you're about to eat. It's not so important to know what it is, but it's critical to know what it was. --Unknown

My copy arrived in the mail today.

Although [unlike Andrew] I did not enjoy my one trip to Temple I have to appreciate current chef Garrett Sharpe's sense of humour [?] on pg. 30.

When asked to describe his "fantasy special sheet" he replied:

I'm guessing that most of the guys are going to go with some kind of "we live on the greatest island in the world and that we have everything we want right here..."Blah-blah. I'd fly baby seal in from Nunavut, put it on the menu with some bacon, lettuce and tomato, maybe call it the "club". Think it would sell? In Victoria, not a chance.

Must be the Maritimer in me....

• 2 weeks later...

Finally, finally.... picked up the September/October issue this afternoon at

Choices Market on 16th.

As an aside...... Arne.... can you change the header of this topic to just read "Eat Magazine" or some such as we seem to have branched beyond the March/April issue.

:biggrin:

sarah

Always take a good look at what you're about to eat. It's not so important to know what it is, but it's critical to know what it was. --Unknown

As an aside...... Arne.... can you change the header of this topic to just read "Eat Magazine" or some such as we seem to have branched beyond the March/April issue.

Done ... good catch Sarah.

Can I make a request for all members to please use the PM system when making administrative suggestions. You gotta admitt, posts like this are pretty dull :raz:

A.

• 1 month later...

I think this is a great free magazine. But the ad on page 41 by Rock Fish evokes an irritable response from me.

It's a naked girl holding two large plates of sushi covering her breasts. Albeit the girl is pretty, I think it's a tasteless ad. I'm not generally p/c myself as I think sex does sell and I think I'm more liberal minded than most.

I think food in itself is sensual and to go overboard like this tells me that maybe the food in itself can't sell on its own.

Can someone please explain this ad?

Wow. As someone intimately familiar with the challenges of contemporary publishing, it's great to see hard work pay off. This whopping, 64-page issue of EAT thunked at our door like a brick.

Tremendously diversified roster of contributors, including Murray Bancroft (simple but delicious Kobe beef recipe), Jane Mundy, Shelora (neat update on the Island), Julie Pegg, Don Genova and a host of others.

But the best improvement might just be the addition of Carolyn Bateman, who is a superb copy editor.

Increasingly, this publication makes a real contribution to the culinary fabric of the province, without attitude. Congratulations to Gary Hynes, his staff and contributors for a very informative read.

Jamie

Edited by jamiemaw (log)

from the thinly veneered desk of:

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

www.vancouvermagazine.com

Foodblog: In the Belly of the Feast - Eating BC

"Profumo profondo della mia carne"

I think this is a great free magazine.  But the ad on page 41 by Rock Fish evokes an irritable response from me.

It's a naked girl holding two large plates of sushi covering her breasts.  Albeit the girl is pretty, I think it's a tasteless ad.  I'm not generally p/c myself as I think sex does sell and I think I'm more liberal minded than most.

I think food in itself is sensual and to go overboard like this tells me that maybe the food in itself can't sell on its own.

I was shocked and appalled myself, Max. Clearly, what the world needs now is smaller sushi or weaker arms. :angry:

That being said, I'm going to ask Arne to move this over to the EAT discussion thread.

J.

Edited by jamiemaw (log)

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

Apparently it is a centuries-old tradition in Japan to eat sushi off the body of a completely naked woman. Known as "body sushi," this practice has popped up, in modified form, in Chicago of late. The Chicago Sun-Times, in a story by Janet Fuller on November 4, writes, "At Kizoku, the woman -- a belly dancer and friend of Pinto's from Las Vegas who goes by the name Tabitha -- wears a G-string, some cellophane, a few strategically placed seashells and little else. The sushi is placed atop bamboo leaves arranged on her thighs, stomach and chest area. None of the food touches her skin, Pinto said. Soup or salad and dessert are included." ( http://www.suntimes.com/output/news/cst-nws-sushi04.html )

The other thing I'd point to is the ubiquity of sex in most every area of advertising.

Given those two observations, why would we single out this particular sushi restaurant in Vancouver for disapprobation?

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Why don't they make an ad with the sushi all over a cute naked (male) sushi chef?

Somehow, I don't expect to see that any time soon.

Personally, I have no interest in eating off a naked woman...call me narrow-minded. Actually, I'm not particularly interested in eating sushi off a naked man, either...now chocolate, that's different!

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies

I think this is a great free magazine.  But the ad on page 41 by Rock Fish evokes an irritable response from me.

It's a naked girl holding two large plates of sushi covering her breasts.  Albeit the girl is pretty, I think it's a tasteless ad.  I'm not generally p/c myself as I think sex does sell and I think I'm more liberal minded than most.

There is no explanation other than just poor taste and lack of judgement...

I particularly feel bad for any female servers at that place ("Raw, fresh & tasty"?...

can't you just hear the female/raw fish jokes already?) Ugh.

Somebody goofed. Otherwise an enjoyable edition.

Damian du Plessis

Bravo Restaurant & Lounge

Chilliwack, BC

I think this is a great free magazine. 

I was shocked and appalled myself, Max. Clearly, what the world needs now is smaller sushi or weaker arms. :angry:

J.

LOL :laugh: Brilliant.

All in the name, so to speak, of sustainability.

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

Does anyone know why the BC liquor stores have pulled Eat?

I asked why they didn't have the G.S. and was advised that they had a new manager who didn't allow anything but BCLD printed materials to be placed in the racks in the store. I didn't realize that maybe that meant all of B.C. That means no CityFood over here. :sad:

"If cookin' with tabasco makes me white trash, I don't wanna be recycled."

courtesy of jsolomon

Wow. As someone intimately familiar with the challenges of contemporary publishing, it's great to see hard work pay off. This whopping, 64-page issue of EAT thunked at our door like a brick.

Tremendously diversified roster of contributors, including Murray Bancroft (simple but delicious Kobe beef recipe), Jane Mundy, Shelora (neat update on the Island), Julie Pegg, Don Genova and a host of others.

But the best improvement might just be the addition of Carolyn Bateman, who is a superb copy editor.

Increasingly, this publication makes a real contribution to the culinary fabric of the province, without attitude. Congratulations to Gary Hynes, his staff and contributors for a very informative read.

Jamie

Thanks Jamie.

A big abrazo and besitos from Oaxaca.