• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Grapefruit dessert

Andrew Fenton

Life has handed me grapefruits; lots of 'em. I want to make some sort of dessert for tomorrow night, but the only grapefruit dessert I know is curd, sorbet, or maybe broiled grapefruit.

So, then, what's the best way to use up all this citrusy goodness?

Several months ago I made a great dessert compote with grapefruit and ginger. It was straight from Bon Apetit, and was very good. (Then I started taking Lipitor, which knocked grapefruit right out of my diet, so I never made it again.) I posted the recipe on eGullet somewhere, but I can't find it. If you're better at this search stuff than I am, then you might find it. If not, I will try to dig up the Bon Apetit issue and re-post it, if that type of dessert interests you. (It was delicious.)

Edit: it's on epicurious. Grapefruit, ginger, and star anise compote. It's really a great combination of flavors.

Edited by cakewalk (log)

How about a bavarian cake? Layer it with a citrus flavored chiffon cake and serve it up with some of that sorbet.

Life has handed me grapefruits; lots of 'em.  I want to make some sort of dessert for tomorrow night, but the only grapefruit dessert I know is curd, sorbet, or maybe broiled grapefruit. 

So, then, what's the best way to use up all this citrusy goodness?

I am nuts about good grapefruit, and have them in my dessert case now- pate sucre tart crust, sweetened mascarpone filling, grapefruit & blood orange segments with a vanilla bean glaze.

simple compotes with poundcakes

grapefruit napoleon

open stacked,sponge cake with citrus segments

Melissa McKinney

Chef/Owner Criollo Bakery

mel@criollobakery.com

Make your grapefruit curd.

I make an infused syrup using the skin or zest to make it extra strong.

For each cup of curd take 1/2 cup of whipping cream and whip to maximum, then fold in the curd.

Try a small batch first - if you use a stabilizer like Whip-it, it will hold for a long time in the fridge.

Serve in stemmed dishes or margarita glasses garnished with a twist of candied peel.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Today on Jacques Pepin's show on PBS, he made a lovely grapefruit gelatin dessert.

Grapefruit supremes were placed in a custard cup. Over them was poured a mixture of gelatin, honey, grenadine, and mint. When set, it was turned out onto a plate and a sauce of orange marmalade, orange juice and Gran Marnier was used.

Looked great to me!

• 3 years later...

Another huge bag of (insert your favorite produce here) from a friend, and yet one more challenge. This time I received nearly 50 pounds of grapefruit from a neighbor's friend's mother's tree in Tucson. I cranked out my curd already and candied my peel. Then I set off to find a recipe in any of my pastry books...crickets chirping. Amernick had one for the peel and Ong has one, but besides that - nothing! I didn't expect that. So then I found this lil' thread and thought I would kick it back to life. Then I went to the food pairings website and found some interesting pairings:

Herbs and spices: Cardamom, Cilantro and Ginger

Vegetables: Bell pepper coulis, Carrot and Celery leaves

Chocolate, coffee, tea: Tea green, Tea black and Cocoa nibs

For anyone following my round cake dilemma, the dessert is a peppered honey cake with grapefruit bavaroise and grapefruit shortbread. That will take care of 2 pounds of my grapefruit. Now, on to the other 48 pounds! Any fun ideas?

About grapefruit and Lipitor--or any of the other drugs whose effectiveness is lessened by grapefruit: I asked my doctor once about how much grapefruit it took to have this effect. He said "You'd have to drink about a gallon and a half of grapefruit juice." So I now enjoy the occasional grapefruit half for breakfast. Ask your doctor and see what he says.

Ruth Dondanville aka "ruthcooks"

“Are you making a statement, or are you making dinner?” Mario Batali

Another huge bag of (insert your favorite produce here) from a friend, and yet one more challenge.  This time I received nearly 50 pounds of grapefruit from a neighbor's friend's mother's tree in Tucson.  I cranked out my curd already and candied my peel.  Then I set off to find a recipe in any of my pastry books...crickets chirping.  Amernick had one for the peel and Ong has one, but besides that - nothing!  I didn't expect that.  So then I found this lil' thread and thought I would kick it back to life.  Then I went to the food pairings website and found some interesting pairings:

Herbs and spices: Cardamom, Cilantro and Ginger

Vegetables: Bell pepper coulis, Carrot and Celery leaves

Chocolate, coffee, tea: Tea green, Tea black and Cocoa nibs

For anyone following my round cake dilemma, the dessert is a peppered honey cake with grapefruit bavaroise and grapefruit shortbread.  That will take care of 2 pounds of my grapefruit.  Now, on to the other 48 pounds!  Any fun ideas?

I just put up 60 grapefruits. I neighbor asked me to help him lay pinestraw for a woman that recently become a widow. Her husband loved grapefruits and she could not eat them, I guess Lipitor. The tree in her yard must have at least 400 grapefruit so she let me take a portion.

I candied the peel. I found gfron's technique for peeling the zest after the fact, much to my chagrin. The candied peel is sitting in sugar to infuse it w/ the flavor for tea when guests want a twist. I juiced 6 quarts from about 20 of them and then the remainder became grapefruit marmalade. I mix 1/2 cup of the marmalade w/ 1/2 cup of mango chutney and add 1 Tbsp of curry powder and 2 tsp of sesame oil, heat it, immersion blend briefly so chunks remain and use that as a glaze on chicken or pork.

Tom Gengo