• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Rachel Perlow

Q: How often do you actually get to cook?

2 posts in this topic

After reading through your bio I wondered... With all your books and other restaurant duties, how often you actually get behind the stove in your restaurant these days? Which role do you prefer: cook or author?

It's interesting that you should think this - and perceptive - for most people in the restaurant trade think I have moved into semi-retirement. In fact I have never worked so long or hard. The numbers of people catered for may be small but the number of tasks needed to make it all come together is large - as large as a bigger restaurant.

My system is this. Tuesday to Saturday I work from am til late doing just the kitchen tasks - this Q and A is a rare exception and involves no specific time or travel. Sundays I clear the place a bit, do the books and answer correspondence. This doesn't take long and the rest of the day is free

Mondays I do all other things. Last monday I went to Heathrow to present dishes for Concorde. The monday before I did a photographic session for a book,.  It's easy enough if you turn down anything that will not fit into this pattern.

But living on top of the shop has drawbacks and I get calls at 7am on a sunday from people wanted to discuss possible bookings and I like being on holiday a couple of times a year to do none of these things

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0