• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Visiting SF

PCL

Hi All.

Done the trip, only 4 days in total, with a day trip to LA.

Thanks to rjwong for the limo info in LA, but will probably make use of it next trip when it'll be 4 days in LA.

As for SF, I ate at Cafe Zuni one night, Luna Park in the Mission another after missing out on Limon, and drank the other night away in several bars around town including the ultra-kitsch Tonga Room.

I did make it to Berkeley, but only to the North Face outlet store...<gulp>

But hey, Zuni was great. I was alone, and service was sympathetic, and the food, well pretty good seeing as I was jetlagged and taste buds were not fully functional. A Californian chardonnay and a riesling later, the following were real taste:

- shredded raw white asparagus with bottarga

- roasted rabbit with balsamic veal jus reduction

almost went for the creme brulee, but then the waitress mentioned a couple places I could go for a drink and have a cigarette indoors.

For the non-PC's out there, the smoking bars are:

Amber on the corner of 14th and Church, and Tunnel Top downtown near Powell St.

Fantastic trip all in all. Loved SF and looking forward to visiting LA in depth next time!

Thanks for all the chit chat. Bouchon will have to wait!

"Coffee and cigarettes... the breakfast of champions!"

Agree fellow 4x4'er!....

The lunch I had in LA, well, Santa Monica was a boardroom lunch, but very well catered. It was a Friday, so everyone was in Hawaiian shirts, and we were fed excellent Tex-Mex. I even 'super-sized' my burrito.

"Coffee and cigarettes... the breakfast of champions!"