• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

PDX--Wedding Cakes?

Repost from Portlandfood.org:

Well, Hollis and I wed next month and are having our big party at the Downtown Stumptown, just like I wanted!

BUT--we have decided to get a good wedding cake now that we are having friends cook hors d'oeuvres rather than have Simpatica cater.

Can anyone reccomend someone who could make an amazing cake? Not the norm either! In fact, I wanna see any color but white icing!

There's also www.pollyscakes.com and I've been told that the best tasting cakes come from JaCiva's. I would think they would have someone talented enough there to do something not so white. (This coming from someone that loves plain white icing with lots of boldly colored fresh flowers. They've always been my favorite cakes. :smile: )

Pamela Wilkinson

www.portlandfood.org

Life is a rush into the unknown. You can duck down and hope nothing hits you, or you can stand tall, show it your teeth and say "Dish it up, Baby, and don't skimp on the jalapeños."

Last summer when some friends did a wedding I got to taste a lot of the cakes they tasted. They ended up going with Polly's cakes because the dude getting married is European and hates buttercream. She could do marzipan "frosting" and no one else could. The cakes were very beautiful and tasty (and pricey!) but the servers at the Shogren House didn't really know how to cut them and they butchered the cakes, pulling the marzipan off because it wasn't cut through when they plated them, smashing the cake to crumbs, etc. etc. If it had been me, I would have been pissed to spend that much money on a cake and have it trashed...the pieces were really sad looking...but still tasty. JaCiva's cakes rated the lowest on the list and the stories they tell of visiting the place are pretty darn funny. Let's just say the European still talks about the awful "champagne" cake (you could have a pink! cake). They didn't bother bringing me any to taste so this is second-hand. The bride actually liked Joseph's cakes (out by Sellwood) and I did too (got to taste them). They're your basic American style cake (everything is really really sweet) but done nicely, and lots of frosting and filling options (just no marzipan). The prices were very reasonable for the quality.

Good luck!

trillium