• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Melt: The Restaurant

glenn

Attractive individual male or female walking with a sandwich board

two large pieces of bread with prominent grill marks.

Front says in the say typeface as the store name "Let me make you..." or "Indulge yourself"

Back says "Melt! 581 Jersey Ave"

I would think that there must be a straving artist in JC that would work for free sandwiches and artfully paint some plywood.

"There are people who strictly deprive themselves of each and every eatable, drinkable, and smokable which has in any way acquired a shady reputation. They pay this price for health. And health is all they get for it. How strange it is. It is like paying out your whole fortune for a cow that has gone dry." - Mark Twain

"Please pass the bacon." - Me

slightly tangential suggestion, but you should try to get on the dinner delivery list for goldman sachs (they placed over 700 lunch orders on Fatburger's opening day). if you have the capacity to accept orders by computer you'd likely get alot of delivery business in the evenings and this would likely translate into additional lunch business.

You've all been so helpful in the past, thank you thank you.  Once again, I need some ideas if you don't mind.

As mentioned elsewhere, I'm having a problem making much progress picking up delivery business.  I came up with an idea for a somewhat different marketing strategy and need help in its execution. 

Okay, don't laugh or snicker (too much) or call me the sexist pig that I am.  The idea is to have a very enthusiastic attractive person (most likely female) wear one of those sandwich signs and walk enthusiastically around the business commercial areas in JC, mainly the waterfront.  I want the sign to be unique and somewhat mysterious.  Like, simply have one side with my web address and the other saying something like, "grilled cheese better than mom used to make."  And my logo would be on either side.  The person would hand out business cards instead of menus (we've inundated the area with menus.) 

The goal is to increase delivery business AND in-store business, particularly from office workers on the waterfront.  Right now, the vast majority of the business is from local residents.

I need help in the wording of the sign.  I'm trying to keep graphics to a minimum since I think that would make it costly.  I also want to offer an incentive (like, mention you saw this sign and get 20% off) but don't know the best way to do this.   I've already talked to one sign company (Sign Expo in nyc) and haven't gotten costs yet, but I can't afford to spend a fortune on this, like more than a few hundred.  Also, any other ideas about the concept would be most appreciated.  thanks!

[fyi, regarding the other quesiton I posed about a fax service, I'm meeting with a marketing company that specializes in that sort of thing.]

Edited by azlee (log)

slightly tangential suggestion, but you should try to get on the dinner delivery list for goldman sachs (they placed over 700 lunch orders on Fatburger's opening day). if you have the capacity to accept orders by computer you'd likely get alot of delivery business in the evenings and this would likely translate into additional lunch business.

GREAT idea, Azlee! And Glenn, if there are any law firms down there, they do the same thing; they keep lists (and sometimes have accounts) with restaurants b/c there are people working laaaaaate. Of course, this still boils down to your getting 'in' somehow... Think it's worth it to collect business cards in the restaurant and do a free lunch drawing so you can at least get some names/email addresses of some of your current customers? You probably only need a couple to break through...

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Attractive individual male or female walking with a sandwich board

two large pieces of bread with prominent grill marks.

Front says in the say typeface as the store name "Let me make you..." or "Indulge yourself"

Back says "Melt! 581 Jersey Ave"

I would think that there must be a straving artist in JC that would work for free sandwiches and artfully paint some plywood.

nugent, you're too much! As soon as I saw that post I knew it was the ticket, just like when you came up with the name melt. I'm gonna have to give you stock in the company, not that it's worth anything. Between yours and Evie's slogans, I'm sure I can come up with a winning combo. I called up THE JC starving artist, the same one who did my chalkboard menu in the shape of a piece of bread and he's looking forward to working on the project. Super idea!

Evie, I am looking into getting a cart to give out samples. I should've done it long ago. You have to have a special license for that - I got one when I was having trouble finding a space and considered operating out of a truck.

mention, I'm not convinced of the effectiveness of mailing out coupons with a service such as ValPak. If I recall, it's fairly expensive, too much for my budget. I was approached about this soon after I opened my business.

azlee, you hit a nerve just by mentioning Goldman Sachs. I probably shouldn't single them out because all the major corporations on the waterfront are no different; but I had fairly extensive dealings with them, none pleasant. Those dealings included negotiating for a space in their lobby and finally being turned down because I was a startup company. But that's another story. As far as I can tell and from what I was told by GS, they don't have a list of local restaurants they endorse or do business with. I was referred to an independent nyc company by GS, seamlessweb, an internet ordering service that several restaurants in JC participate in. The companies set up corporate accounts with seamlessweb and employees who work overtime or through their lunch hour (etc. etc.) are allowed to use the service. Seamlessweb is another story that I won't go into. Suffice to say, I had nothing but problems in my dealings with them and finally stopped. As far as that big order with Fatburger, I am aware of it - from what I was told, they were offered a huge discount by FB. Anyways, it's just one big corporation supporting another.

I've said it before and I really don't care if I offend anyone from GS or Merrill Lynch etc. etc., but they have no interest in supporting local businesses. JC subsidized these companies by giving away the farm so to speak through abatements and now they're laughing all the way to the bank. This is a huge issue here in JC and I'm far from the only person to feel this way.

okay, off my soapbox.

it was just a suggestion, i certainly didn't mean to offend you.

but i will say that i'm personally aware of a number of JC businesses that have had great success doing business with some of the "waterfront corporations", but if that hasn't been a good fit for you, then i'm sure you'll find another avenue that works better for you.

perhaps offering delivery to some of the larger apartment towers?

best of luck!

azlee, you hit a nerve just by mentioning Goldman Sachs.  I probably shouldn't single them out because all the major corporations on the waterfront are no different; but I had fairly extensive dealings with them, none pleasant.  Those dealings included negotiating for a space in their lobby and finally being turned down because I was a startup company.  But that's another story.  As far as I can tell and from what I was told by GS,  they don't  have a list of local restaurants they endorse or do business with.  I was referred to an independent nyc company by GS, seamlessweb, an internet ordering service that several restaurants in JC participate in.  The companies set up corporate accounts with seamlessweb and employees who work overtime or through their lunch hour (etc. etc.) are allowed to use the service.  Seamlessweb is another story that I won't go into.  Suffice to say, I had nothing but problems in my dealings with them and finally stopped.  As far as that big order with Fatburger, I am aware of it - from what I was told, they were offered a huge discount by FB.  Anyways, it's just one big corporation supporting another.

I've said it before and I really don't care if I offend anyone from GS or Merrill Lynch etc. etc., but they have no interest in supporting local businesses.  JC subsidized these companies by giving away the farm so to speak through abatements and now they're laughing all the way to the bank.  This is a huge issue here in JC and I'm far from the only person to feel this way.

okay, off my soapbox.

but i will say that i'm personally aware of a number of JC businesses that have had great success doing business with some of the "waterfront corporations", but if that hasn't been a good fit for you, then i'm sure you'll find another avenue that works better for you.

best of luck!

Sorry, I appreciate your help. I didn't mean to let out my pent up frustrations on you :)). My goal is to get the business of the small and medium-size companies on the waterfront. The fortune 500 companies and the larger ones, though, are a tough nut to crack. For the most part they have their own corporate cafeterias (GS has a great upscale cafeteria and they already have businesses they do catering with which is generally approved by their home office, or at least that's the way I understand it.) Anyway, it's been an extremely frustrating experience and one which I am trying to forget. I do get orders from individuals from the big companies and that's my target. I also didn't mean to offend anyone who works for these companies. It's the corporate structure and bureaucracy that's so frustrating, not any single individual.

Read the post below: I suggested this back some time ago. Yeah, I'm not one the EGS click. However, I was probably one of your first customers. Although when I suggested it you didn't even agnoledge my post. I'm still one of your biggest supporters, and still hoping you will give one of my interns a chance. We need talented entrepreneurs like you in the ACF and my NJ Food Bank interns need to work with a chef as talented as yours.

Glenn,

Having lived & worked in the area most of my life, may I suggest a fax machine and a delivery service (i.e. kid on a bike). Get your daily specials out to local business, Hudson County Municipal Court, Probo office, Schools (St. Peters ect),

Libraries.

Believe me they will bring friends and are a loyal lunch crowd.

See You Soon,

Harry

Edited by chefreit (log)

I Will Be..................

"The Next Food Network Star!"

Hey Harry, what's a EGS? Anyhow, sorry, but I guess I overlooked your previous post. Or maybe I wasn't ready to concentrate on delivery at the time. As you've noticed, I am now ready. I'm listening!

I implemented a regular drawing.... win a free lunch by giving us your fax number. I have these forms everywhere - in the restaurant and inserted in all takeout bags. I have another drawing, not original but a proven winner - give us your business card and win something or other. There's a caveat on the fishbowl that email addresses and fax numbers may be used for in-house promotion giving the customer a choice. I'm a late bloomer, but I recently started talking up the fax/delivery thing to in-house customers and, as result, I now have the mayor's office, local police precinct and some other local places on my fax list.

Delivery service? Hah! That would be me. Hiring a kid on a bike sounds easy enough.... until you try it. The main reason it doesn't work for me is I don't have enough delivery business to motivate anyone to make themselves available a good part of the day and I can't afford to pay more a guarantee. [i did this when i started out and soon realized i would go broke very quickly if i continued in this vein.] I have a skeletal staff and I'm the only one with a car, let alone the only one who drives. For a number of deliveries, a bike would not be practical, i.e., large orders, especially when there's more than one at a time and/or the delivery is on the other side of downtown. For the moment, doing the deliveries myself hasn't been a huge problem, though I've had to turn down a few. Besides, do you have any idea how difficult it is to get someone reliable to deliver? I've been there. I've talked to several businesses in town about this including a couple of pizza places... they all say the same thing. Oftentimes the owner is forced to go on deliveries or turning down the business - either option is obviously problematic.

Anyhow, long time no see. We do deliver, ya know. :))

something to think about,

sometimes, people suggest things because they are in a position to actually help you attain access to the very thing they are suggesting...

best of luck!

Sorry, I appreciate your help. I didn't mean to let out my pent up frustrations on you :)). My goal is to get the business of the small and medium-size companies on the waterfront. The fortune 500 companies and the larger ones, though, are a tough nut to crack. For the most part they have their own corporate cafeterias (GS has a great upscale cafeteria and they already have businesses they do catering with which is generally approved by their home office, or at least that's the way I understand it.) Anyway, it's been an extremely frustrating experience and one which I am trying to forget. I do get orders from individuals from the big companies and that's my target. I also didn't mean to offend anyone who works for these companies. It's the corporate structure and bureaucracy that's so frustrating, not any single individual.

Glenn--

Does JC have one of those Road Runner-type delivery services? If so, do people use it? Don't know if they're expensive, but that would be another place where you could get your menu out.

How about some promos at area festivals, farmers markets, concerts in the park, etc.? Sometimes all it takes is a buy one/get one at half off coupon to get someone through the door the first time...

Ev

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

something to think about,

sometimes, people suggest things because they are in a position to actually help you attain access to the very thing they are suggesting...

azlee, PM sent to you. That's a very vague mysterious post. Although I am always (I think) diplomatic in matters concerning Melt, my feelings stand about GS. I have been told before by certain people within the organization that they can help only to be passed off to the bureaucratic maze. Forgive my cynicism. I have detailed the reasons in my PM.

glenn -

A couple of years ago I had this costume made for under $100.

A friend of mine worked as a graphic artist in the marketing department of a local bank, and he spent an hour or two working on the design (while I sat at his elbow). Then he e-mailed it off to a sign-making company and I had it back in two days. It's quite professional-looking, don't know if you can tell from the grainy photo. They simply enlarged the images he sent them, affixed them to a piece of heavy-duty plastic-coated white corrugated cardboard, and die-cut around the edges of the images. Granted, he didn't charge me for his time, but hopefully you could get two big bread slices made up for a price well within your budget.

It's quite durable. I've worn it several times. The back piece has four slits in it through which I threaded a really wide piece of elastic for a belt and two more higher up for shoulder straps. On the front of the belt I sewed a hefty square of velcro to hold the front panel on at my waist.

And yes - yes I did win the costume contest.

Hope this helps.

Marsha Lynch aka "zilla369"

Has anyone ever actually seen a bandit making out?

Uh-huh: just as I thought. Stereotyping.

Glenn--

Does JC have one of those Road Runner-type delivery services?  If so, do people use it?  Don't know if they're expensive, but that would be another place where you could get your menu out.

How about some promos at area festivals, farmers markets, concerts in the park, etc.?  Sometimes all it takes is a buy one/get one at half off coupon to get someone through the door the first time...

Ev

I've been trying to get info on that. I know there used to be a service - I even ordered out from them.

I've done the area happenings and continue to do so and it's been great publicity as well as a good means to get involved with the communtiy. I've given away sandwiches at farmers' markets several times, movie night at the park, charitable events, political events, etc. This fits in with my original concept of being a community place as opposed to the likes of the chains.

glenn -

A couple of years ago I had this costume made for under $100.  [...]

Thanks, Marsha. I never thought of a costume... well, I did, but sort of figured that would be no different than what all the chicken places of the world do. I never thought of doing something original like you.

I've given away sandwiches at farmers' markets several times, movie night at the park, charitable events, political events, etc.  This fits in with my original concept of being a community place as opposed to the likes of the chains.

Well that's good to hear! They have just started up a farmer's market on Tuesdays and Thursdays (or is it M/W? :blink: ) at Pavonia/Newport Path Station. It may be worth your while to even leave some flyers with someone selling bread or cheese :biggrin: ..never mind giving away samples.

As to the delivery services, I think there is one in JC and it is called something like "Diner's Club". We used them a couple of times and back in the day when downtown JC didn't have many dining options it was worth it to go through this service to get someone to come to our zone from say Hoboken :raz:

Another thought is to hit public spaces of apt complexes. I know you are looking for commercial business, but these apartment dwellers work somewhere. We lived in Dixon Mills before we moved to Bayonne and I know there were regularly menus left in the lobby/mailbox areas.

I do work for corporate america in manhattan and we do use seamless web...for someone who has to order catering on a regular basis it is a godsend so it may be worth your while to hit up those people. I order almost exclusively through seamless web..even when it's for me personally. It's the convenience of being able to use a debit card, being able to include a tip so I'm not looking for singles when delivery gets there etc.. Plus there are tons of places to choose from and I can choose to order from a "menu" format or a "catering" format.

JeAnne

Xander: How exactly do you make cereal?

Buffy: Ah. You put the box near the milk. I saw it on the Food Channel.

-BtVS

Well that's good to hear!  They have just started up a farmer's market on Tuesdays and Thursdays (or is it M/W?  :blink:  ) at Pavonia/Newport Path Station.  It may be worth your while to even leave some flyers with someone selling bread or cheese  :biggrin:  ..never mind giving away samples.

Unfortunately, the Newport farmers' market does not attract a lot of traffic. The most popular of the downtown markets is the one at Hamilton Park. However, the traffic is sporadic... it's never crowded but seems to attract a steady flow of people. And by now, they all know about Melt :)).

As to the delivery services, I think there is one in JC and it is called something like "Diner's Club".  We used them a couple of times and back in the day when downtown JC didn't have many dining options it was worth it to go through this service to get someone to come to our zone from say Hoboken  :raz:

Yeah, it was called something like that. I had terrible personal experiences with them though, like taking up to 2 hours to deliver and being very unaccomodating. That's primarily why I never pursued it. I did just do a search though, and it looks like they're out of business.

Another thought is to hit public spaces of apt complexes.  I know you are looking for commercial business, but these apartment dwellers work somewhere.  We lived in Dixon Mills before we moved to Bayonne and I know there were regularly menus left in the lobby/mailbox areas. 

We do that regularly, though it seems I have to tell the kids where to go and I certainly don't know every complex in downtown. We have hit Dixon Mills several times. [the biggest pain in the neck are the Newport apartments. the only way to get in there is by having a delivery. Forget about befriending the doormen - even though one might be willing to leave a stack of menus by the desk, the next one that comes along throws it out.] And since I do the delivering, I'm the one going to all 25 or so floors handing out menus. Like I have the time OR energy for this stuff! :))]

I do work for corporate america in manhattan and we do use seamless web...for someone who has to order catering on a regular basis it is a godsend so it may be worth your while to hit up those people.  I order almost exclusively through seamless web..even when it's for me personally.  It's the convenience of being able to use a debit card, being able to include a tip so I'm not looking for singles when delivery gets there etc..  Plus there are tons of places to choose from and I can choose to order from a "menu" format or a "catering" format.

I'm glad to hear about your positive experiences with seamlessweb - I fired them a month ago for completely bastardizing my menu, but they called last week to get my business back and I agreed.

thanks for the suggestions!

i work for hudson county dept. of health and human services in secaucus-

if u accept vouchers i can order from you for meetings-

joanne

Joanne, if vouchers eventually = real $$$, I accept your gracious offer. Many thanks!

Glenn--

Does JC have one of those Road Runner-type delivery services?  If so, do people use it?  Don't know if they're expensive, but that would be another place where you could get your menu out.[...]

My day off and time for research. There's a company called Delivery Stream that offers such a service. I honestly don't know how they get restaurants to sign up though. The charge to the restaurant is 30%! I can't imagine any restaurant paying that. Some may mark up their prices for delivery (I don't know), but that wouldn't be good business. And they also charge the customer $4.95.

Glenn,

I am curious - how well does grilled cheese travel? I would think it is best fresh and hot - and I am wondering if customers get the full gooey inside/crispy outside effect when the sandwiches are delivered.

Is it a problem?

Randi

"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne

It starts deteriorating after about 30 minutes. Personally, I like to let it sit for 5 minutes for it cool off. I don't like it when it's too gooey. Although they're not optimal after 30 minutes, they're still quite edible. We've brought platters to various events where they sit for several hours and we still get compliments.

i've wanted to try this place since i read about it in aolcityguide- and now you all have convinced me. i will travel for a good bite but since i will be in jc for work anyway, it will be pleasantly close. thanks.

• 3 months later...

VERY sad news, imo...this from an email I just received via the Melt email list:

Melt will be putting up the “extremely closed forever” sign and its last day of operation, at least at 581 Jersey Avenue, will be Sunday, December 18th. The main reason for our closing is problems we have experienced with the space. For various reasons, I can’t be more specific than that. However, it is my hope to reopen elsewhere in the not too distant future. At the risk of sounding like a cliché, albeit a dead one, it’s been a long strange trip, one filled with lots of ups and downs, mostly ups. I will miss Melt dearly. Hopefully though, this is simply the end of the first incarnation of Melt.

Effective immediately, we will be liquidating our inventory and many items will be marked down considerably. Call it an extremely going out of business sale, if you will. In addition to menu items, bulk food items and paper goods will be available at greatly discounted prices. First come first served. Any and all inquiries welcomed.

I always thought that the concept was good and that Glenn had a huge passion for his place but the location was going to be a tremendous challenge -- it wasn't anywhere near the main drag of Jersey City and that particular street is a very difficult one for attracting the lunch and evening dinner crowd. Its also difficult to attract outside travellers to Jersey City as well, because its very much "can't get there from here" from most points in Bergen and Hudson County. You literally have to subject yourself to the brutalities of Holland Tunnel traffic just to get onto the street where Melt is, and thats a huge turnoff.

I think that if Glenn is bent on staying in JC and resurrecting Melt in some form, he should be near all the big office buildings and the shopping areas.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I always thought that the concept was good and that Glenn had a huge passion for his place but the location was going to be a huge challenge -- it wasn't anywhere near the main drag of Jersey City and that particular street is a very difficult one for attracting the lunch and evening dinner crowd.

I think that Glenn is bent on staying in JC, he should be near all the big office buildings and the shopping areas.

I am also sad to see Melt go. Took the trip down there from Bergen County twice and each time it was well worth it.

Would love to see Melt smack dab in the middle of Westwood or Ridgewood and sharing the space with a kick-ass ice cream merchant.

Just a thought.