• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Melt: The Restaurant

glenn

You guys have got such a great imagination (and I have none) - I was hoping you could help name a couple of new sandwiches that we're adding to our menu.

1. Horseradish havarti, smoked turkey and peach chutney. All I've been able to come up with so far is the Great Dane.

2. Swiss, mango salsa, honey dijon and curry. It's temporarily called the Caribbean.

thanks!

You guys have got such a great imagination (and I have none) - I was hoping you could help name a couple of new sandwiches that we're adding to our menu.

1.  Horseradish havarti, smoked turkey and peach chutney.  All I've been able to come up with so far is the Great Dane.

2.  Swiss, mango salsa, honey dijon and curry.  It's temporarily called the Caribbean.

thanks!

For the record....the Horseradish Havarti, smoked turkey, and peach chutney ROCKS!!! It's the perfect balnce of smokey, hot, and sweet....

Then, with not nearly enough time to prepare yourself, it hits you....this blinding, make-your-eyes-melt, make-your-nose-explode horseradish heat. And the best part is you never know when to expect it next, so from then on you eat your sandwich with this sort of "horror flick" sense of excitement.

"Will it be this bite? Maybe? No...false alarm. Maybe this bi....AAHHHHHH - IT HURTS....MAKE IT STO....oh wait, it stopped. Whew...."

Kinda reminded me of taking a big bite of the fresh horseradish at my first Passover Seder

Great to meet you Glenn....you're now my Jersey City goto, and on my list to pass on to all my friends.

Nothing says I love you like a homemade salami

That's a great description, Chef, as my suggestion was going to be that Glenn call it the Sinus Cleanser (or something like that)... :laugh:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Evie, keep thinking :)

Actually, I'm gonna stick with The Great Dane and go with The Jerk for the other one. I can't wait to get an order for The Jerk and Ugly American.

David, thanks for the compliment... I value it very highly considering who it comes from, not that I don't take any critiques seriously (well, most.) And it was great meeting you too.

Wow Glenn,

a couple thoughts and questions if you're interested:

1 - Hudson county is thirsty for melted cheese - cant wait to get there

2 - would you mind sharing your culinary history?

3 - Can you share any secrets to why Melt has caught on like wild fire (location, innovation, inspiration, etc.)?

4 - Thanks for making J.C a better place!

I've been waiting a few weeks to post these pics:

Melt Album (Imagegullet)

21 shots in total, but here's a few highlights:

gallery_2_1066_30173.jpg

gallery_2_1066_45616.jpg

gallery_2_1066_64030.jpg

gallery_2_1066_24362.jpg

gallery_2_1066_2877.jpg

gallery_2_1066_65797.jpg

gallery_2_1066_8723.jpg

gallery_2_1066_11030.jpg

gallery_2_1066_57939.jpg

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

and jason's review is in tomorrow's NJ section...

too bad i hate cities - i'd love to have a great dane

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Jason, many thanks for those super pictures and kind words. And to boot, thanks to Jason, I'm wowing customers with our pure shagbark hickory syrup on our belgian waffles. Move over maple syrup.

Wow Glenn,

a couple thoughts and questions if you're interested:

1 - Hudson county is thirsty for melted cheese - cant wait to get there

2 - would you mind sharing your culinary history? 

3 - Can you share any secrets to why Melt has caught on like wild fire (location, innovation, inspiration, etc.)?

4 - Thanks for making J.C a better place!

Frank, in a nutshell, I have no culinaray background except for a home economics class I took in 7th grade. I got an A if that helps. I learned pretty much everything on my own - researching, asking questions and doing a short internship at Grilled Cheese NYC, a place with a somewhat similar concept on the lower east side whose owner was kind enough to let me pick his brain.

One reason Melt has turned out to be popular is having the best PR people in the world, Karen Schloss and Frank Diaz. Also, in addition to our product being top notch (if I must say so myself), I concentrated on being a neighborhood place and offering the kind of service I would wanna get. I am very much aware of my surroundings, and, as a result, have tried to make Melt a communtiy gathering place. We've made it kid friendly by getting high chairs and having free candy available all over the store. We display local art and participate in community events - recently there was an art exhibit at a gallery which we donated a protion of food. We go way overboard to please and will accomodate any request if we can. I try to treat everyone special whether they're regulars or come from out of the area. I've learned not only from being in the business for years, albeit mostly the back of house, but also from my own experiences in dining out. I made the place sort of into the place that I would like to go - extremely casual, comfortable, great music and super unpretentious service.

And to boot, thanks to Jason, I'm wowing customers with our pure shagbark hickory syrup on our belgian waffles. Move over maple syrup.

That stuff is pretty amazing, isn't it?

Their web site really needs a retooling but the product is fantastic.

http://www.hickoryworks.com/

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Oh where to start.... where to start....

1) Jason - your photos are great. I've noticed a huge leap in quality of lighting, aesthetic composition and overall appeal during the past year or so. Keep up the great work!

2) The Jerk is a good name but I keep thinking of the Steve Martin movie. How about a nod to the one-hit wonder band The Nationals and call it the Cool Jerk?

(Glenn - I KNOW that you know that song!)

3) Glenn - don't be so shy about your background. Glenn worked at some high profile restaurants in NYC for years on the fiscal side of the house. It's remarkable what one can learn by watching people run a business.... into the ground :wink: It appears that Glenn learned plenty about what makes a hospitality business work. Sure... he's got a great concept and a good menu but it's his focus on and attention to people and his willingness to change things when necessary that will help him make Melt a big success. I also know first hand how tirelessly (I would say obsessively but I'm oh so diplomatic!) he researched his product selections to ensure that he offers the best possible quality.

Cool jerk it is! How could I not think of that?!

Which brings me to making up for a huge oversight. I know I’ve sort of said it before, but I really need to give credit where it’s due. Melt’s (thus far short-lived) popularity can be attributed to a great extent to this site. [btw, popularity does not equate to financial success.] Melt would not be melt (literally and otherwise) if it was not for this site. I’m speaking the gospel truth and I’m not just blowing hot air like I often do. Could this be the first business in the history of the internet to be opened with contributions (of ideas) from the cyberworld? I received help in so many areas that it’s hard to remember who and what. But a quick reflection on this site’s contributions… the name “melt,” the PR firm, incredible assistance with the entire coffee program including installation of equipment, tea & hot chocolate suggestions, lots of suggestions for toppings on the sandwiches, the bread (Balthazar), the ice cream (Bassetts), other miscellaneous vendors, the ventless french fry machine, hickory syrup [!!], mexican coke and probably a bunch of other things that elude me for the moment. This place has been the best source for info and the first place I turn to when I need help. A BIGTIME thanks to eglutton.

Edited by glenn (log)

so, seriously, no one has a problem with Jason's job with the NYT's as reviewer , and his personal realtonship with Glen? I ask this as a person who is 100% sure that MELT would be a destination lunch.....but really, how do you feel about this?

Edited by Kim WB (log)

A couple of things that should be clarified --

The "Quick Bites" are all penned by freelance writers, none of which are under any kind of obligation to be anonymous or to be impartial, as the main reviewers like David Corcoran and Karla Cook have to be, who are New York Times staff writers (employees).

None of my Quick Bites are anonymous, and all of them are written with having some sort of familiarity with the restaurant before I decide to write them, and they are universally resturants that I have enjoyed eating at, so you are never going to see a "negative" Quick Bite -- they all focus on one particular theme or aspect of the place that I find particularly interesting or to call attention to. They are not "reviews" in as much very short articles that showcase either new or interesting / under exposed types of restaurants. Generally speaking they are under $25 per meal, but that is not exactly set in stone.

For the record, I also have no "relationship" with Glenn other than I have met him once on a single visit to Melt and he's been a participant on eGullet.

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Chris & I made our 2nd trip to Melt this weekend, and once again the grilled cheeses were top-notch.

Chris's gc: buffalo cheddar, edam & provolone with basil pesto & jalapeno jelly on multi-grain. This ended up being an epic choice! The pesto is bursting with flavor, and the sweetness of the jalapeno jelly was a perfect compliment.

My gc: I was *just* about to get a special, the Montchevre with roasted red pepper sauce & cilantro butter, but I changed my mind at the last second and just ordered a choose your own with fresh mozzarella, pepper jack & roasted red pepper on levain. Why I wussed out on the special, I still don't know- that damn impulsive side of me took over I guess :rolleyes:

Again, the bread was perfectly grilled- my only complaint, was that there wasn't a huge amt of the red pepper sauce on my gc, which left it a bit dry. I *should've* just asked for extra at the time, as Glenn did ask how our sandwiches were but I was starving and had already blasted through half of my sandwich by then :biggrin::biggrin:

Next time, I'm trying the fig jam for sure! Chris & I have decided that the buffalo cheddar is our favorite cheese at Melt for sure, and the pesto our #1 topping, at least so far.....

I've recommended Melt to just about everyone I know, and have many friends who will be trekking down to the JC soon enough!

Thanks for the update Allie. Apparently Al Roker and crew were at Melt this past Thursday to film a segment for "Roker On The Road" but I don't know when it will actually air. I imagine Glenn will provide us with an update when he gets a spare moment of time out of his busy schedule.

The Roker show was a real trip and I'm really blown away by all the attention over a lousy grilled cheese sandwich :). The show will be on in about 2 months. They don't have a date yet but I'll let y'all know when I know.

Thanks Allie and Chris - it was wonderful having you. The montchevre has turned out to be one of our most popular specials and it really lends itself well to what we do. I'd add it to the regular menu but I'm running out of space for all of our cheese.

All the publicity is awesome. Congrats Glenn! :)

I just had lunch there yesterday. I'm a fan of anything mango related - and the mango salsa on anything is terrific.

Good going Glenn - look forward to another dining experience and checking you out on TV!!!

Tamara

Hudson Restaurant Week

coming this summer: 7/25-8/5

Tempted as I am to drive over and fill up on that cheap Jersey gas, we’re planning to come to Melt via PATH. Sorry if this has been covered previously, but which station is closest and what are the directions from there?

Sometimes When You Are Right, You Can Still Be Wrong. ~De La Vega

It’ll be great to have you!

By PATH… take the Journal Square (JSQ) or Newark train to the Grove St. stop. It’s the 2nd stop in NJ and it’s after the Pavonia Station. That lets you off on the corner of Grove St. and Newark Ave. (Newark Ave. starts at Grove St.) Walk west on Newark Ave. to Jersey Ave – Jersey Ave. is the first light and about 4 blocks from the station. Turn right onto Jersey Ave. and we’re 3.5 blocks on the left at 581 Jersey. C-Town is caddy corner to us, there’s a big Gabagoolz sign next to us and if you pass the funeral home you’ve gone too far (in more ways than one :)

If you end up driving… we’re only a few minutes from the Holland Tunnel. When you get out of the tunnel, you go through about 5 lights before the highway begins (1&9 to the left and the Turnpike to the right). The last light is Jersey Ave - make a left on Jersey Ave. You’ll have to go around Hamilton Park which you’ll come to a few blocks after turning onto Jersey Ave. Just make a left, right, right and left to go around the park and you’re back on Jersey Ave. We’re 4.5 blocks on the right.

I finally got to eat at Melt yesterday. I had been there once before, uh technically twice if you count the day I went on a Monday(they're closed on Mondays) The first time was a week before opening, I met Glenn and he gave me hot chocolate. It's a precious moment that I'll never forget. But seriously folks, the Buffalo Cheddar, Fig Jam, and Bacon grilled cheese on Multigrain bread was over the top!!! So good I didn't want to stop chewing. Great fries too!! Go here as soon as you can. But fella's take my advice either go WITH your wives or don't tell her you went without her. I learned the hard way. One hand on hips, other hand finger waggin at me. Not pretty.

President

Les Marmitons-NJ

Johnson and Wales

Class of '85

My friend and I had a great lunch at Melt yesterday too – we must have missed you, ejebud! We tried the two specials (I should have written it down – correct me if I’m wrong, Glenn): Cherry Wensleydale with ham and cherry chutney, Rosemary Manchego with tomato and red pepper pesto, and buffalo cheddar with peach chutney, all on that outrageously good multigrain; lovely spicy fries, excellent coffee and a Very Special Coke, followed by a scoop of Bassett’s. I couldn’t even pick a favorite as they don’t compare to any other grilled cheese I’ve ever had, and even put my own cool concoctions to shame.

It’s a nice, light-filled space with a sweet garden out back, and Glenn has gotten every detail right, from the variety of cheeses and condiments to the coffee cups and choice of beverages. It’s very easy to get there from Manhattan via PATH (closer than Brooklyn or Queens if you’re on the West Side), and more than worth the trip.

Congratulations, Glenn!

Sometimes When You Are Right, You Can Still Be Wrong. ~De La Vega

Thanks for the kind words. Ejebud, fyi, my wife is banned from melt :).

Blondie, the specials have become a blur, but I think the cherry wensleydayle was paired with strawberry dijon and honey maple ham. I believe you got the rosemary manchego special correct. Aside from meeting and talking to eG'ers, my favorite part of the day comes in the morning when we determine the specials.

That buffalo cheddar is the most popular cheese after american and cheddar. I had to search high and low for it and only found one purveyor that carries it.

Edited by glenn (log)