• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Melt: The Restaurant

glenn

First and foremost, thanks for all the kind words. I'm really overwhelmed at the reactions I've gotten since Melt was still in its formative stages, and now, all the kind words regarding the end, the end of Melt #1 that is.

I always thought that the concept was good and that Glenn had a huge passion for his place but the location was going to be a tremendous challenge -- it wasn't anywhere near the main drag of Jersey City and that particular street is a very difficult one for attracting the lunch and evening dinner crowd. Its also difficult to attract outside travellers to Jersey City as well, because its very much "can't get there from here" from most points in Bergen and Hudson County. You literally have to subject yourself to the brutalities of Holland Tunnel traffic just to get onto the street where Melt is, and thats a huge turnoff.

I think that if Glenn is bent on staying in JC and resurrecting Melt in some form, he should be near all the big office buildings and the shopping areas.

Like I mentioned in my email, I'm not free to get into the details of the reasons for the closing, but suffice to say that part of the problem was the location. I agree that JC is a strange animal. However, the goal was to get most of my business from downtown JC, not from elsewhere in NJ, though that would be an added bonus. I'm not married to JC and I also agree that the only area in JC that might be suitable is the waterfront. Honestly though, I think a place like Princeton near the school or similar such areas would be better suited for such a place.

Anyway, like I said earlier, it's been a long strange trip and one that made me realize how much I love this business (and how insane I am). I'm ready to do it again tomorrow. On someone else's dime though :)).

Well, in honor of you, my friend Glen, and your most AMAZING MELT, I hereby dedicate my menu item simply named Melt and described as a "CLASSIC with your choice of cheese with sauteed onions (choose from American, Swiss, or Cheez Whiz)" to you and your wildly original food concept that was and will be again MELT. I use this opportunity to voice my gratitude to you, Glen. Your enthusiasm and passion for this business has been a great inspiration to me. Your generosity in freely exchanging ideas and vendors has been invaluable in the development of Amazing Hot Dog, and I will be eternally grateful to you. Please do keep me/us posted on the future of Melt. If there is anything I can do for you, just ask.

Eric

President

Les Marmitons-NJ

Johnson and Wales

Class of '85

Glenn there was some talk of:

"Effective immediately, we will be liquidating our inventory and many items will be marked down considerably. Call it an extremely going out of business sale, if you will. In addition to menu items, bulk food items and paper goods will be available at greatly discounted prices. First come first served. Any and all inquiries welcomed."

Could you elaborate?

Eric, one of the bonuses of closing the business is I'll be able to eat out again (and sleep, and not have to look at mr. mop and not come home home smelling like cheese every night so my wife and cat run away, well, my wife and....:)). I can't wait to check out your dogs. Btw, I might have some extra Don's dogs if you're interested. Unless I have a dog run. That's what you're using, right?

Matt, as far as the "sale" goes, I really need to draw up a list. I'm sort of playing it by ear and for now am planning on just simply give an xx% discount on all menu items and a greater discount, like 50% on retail items and paper goods. Some of the equipment is spoken for and some is up for sale on ebay (search my user name, gsusser.) Sorry I can't be more specific at this point. As for the inventory, I'll have to wait and see what's left over, but I don't anticipate selling out of 6 commercial-size cans of kraut in a few days :)) There is precious little gourmet cheese as I never bought much of any one kind at at time wanting to rotate it. For now, if you email me what you're interested in, I can probably give you a better idea.

I'm really disappointed that I never made it to Melt. Here's hoping you do reopen, and if you do, I will make it a point to travel there!

"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne

Anyway, like I said earlier, it's been a long strange trip and one that made me realize how much I love this business (and how insane I am).  I'm ready to do it again tomorrow.  On someone else's dime though :)).

To Glenn and any other interested entrepreneurs, please, please PLEASE consider the Rutgers-Newark campus/area when considering new locations! There are over 10,000 students on this campus every day, and when you add NJIT and Essex Cty College to the mix, the word is that there are 50,000 people every day on our campuses.

We are DESPERATELY in need of new places to eat, and the few that come in and do it right (read: good food at reasonable prices) are so packed that they take their phones off the hook. Really. Melt would be perfect in this area, and I'd be happy to lead the parade on opening day. :wink: Just a thought...

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

I always thought that the concept was good and that Glenn had a huge passion for his place but the location was going to be a huge challenge -- it wasn't anywhere near the main drag of Jersey City and that particular street is a very difficult one for attracting the lunch and evening dinner crowd.

I think that Glenn is bent on staying in JC, he should be near all the big office buildings and the shopping areas.

I am also sad to see Melt go. Took the trip down there from Bergen County twice and each time it was well worth it.

Would love to see Melt smack dab in the middle of Westwood or Ridgewood and sharing the space with a kick-ass ice cream merchant.

Just a thought.

I second that thought. I wanted to try this place very much, but it was too difficult for me to get to Jersey City. I'd love to see a location in Westwood, Ridgewood, or even Ramsey, but that would make it tough for the Hudson County crowd. Maybe a central Passaic County location (Clifton? Southern Wayne?) could provided reasonable access to everyone. I hope they reopen in a better location!

To Glenn and any other interested entrepreneurs, please, please PLEASE consider the Rutgers-Newark campus/area when considering new locations!  There are over 10,000 students on this campus every day, and when you add NJIT and Essex Cty College to the mix, the word is that there are 50,000 people every day on our campuses.

We are DESPERATELY in need of new places to eat, and the few that come in and do it right (read: good food at reasonable prices) are so packed that they take their phones off the hook.  Really.  Melt would be perfect in this area, and I'd be happy to lead the parade on opening day.  :wink:  Just a thought...

I second that! My husband works at RU-Newark and it frequently comes up that there are few good lunch places in the immediate area. I think the students (and staff, of course!) would DEFINITELY go for a place like Melt.

And it would give me good reason to come visit my husband for lunch. :wub:

Glenn,

I am so sorry to hear Melt is closing :(

You have a great concept, I truly hope you find another location in the future, and try again! You've been a great inspiration to all of us with your dedication to making the business work.

To Glenn and any other interested entrepreneurs, please, please PLEASE consider the Rutgers-Newark campus/area when considering new locations!  There are over 10,000 students on this campus every day, and when you add NJIT and Essex Cty College to the mix, the word is that there are 50,000 people every day on our campuses.

We are DESPERATELY in need of new places to eat, and the few that come in and do it right (read: good food at reasonable prices) are so packed that they take their phones off the hook.  Really.  Melt would be perfect in this area, and I'd be happy to lead the parade on opening day.  :wink:  Just a thought...

I second that! My husband works at RU-Newark and it frequently comes up that there are few good lunch places in the immediate area. I think the students (and staff, of course!) would DEFINITELY go for a place like Melt.

And it would give me good reason to come visit my husband for lunch. :wub:

Yes that area of Newark would be good. Close enough to also attract the museum, courthouse, lawschools and PAC.

Glenn, I am sorry to hear that you are closing.

• 2 years later...

I'm curious...

Any chance of a Melt #2 coming soon?

(It's winter and grilled cheese is on my mind.)

"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne

• 2 weeks later...
I'm curious...

Any chance of a Melt #2 coming soon?

(It's winter and grilled cheese is on my mind.)

Someone pointed out this post. The short answer is sadly, no. I loved being a part of Melt and most everything about it except scrubbing the toilet and losing a whole lot of sheckles. It amazes me that I still get inquiries about Melt, on average about 1 a week. But life goes on and I'm back to doing something else I love, restaurant accounting. Thanks for asking!

Well at least now we know you are still alive!!!

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association