• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bollito Misto (sort of)

Having come back from Italy to Scotland, I have some meat products that need to be used up. Amounghst these items was a cotechino, so I have decided to produce a bollito misto. Well, a bastard scottish version. The meats I have for 6 people are;

-Cotechino

-boiling ham

-salt beef

-brined stags tongues

-smoked hough ("hock")

-pigs cheeks

Sauces, will be salsa verde, horseradish, chilli jelly and maybe a musturd fruit thing.

First, do I have to pre-soak the cotechino, which unlike other versions I have had, is semi-dried like a normal salami.

What veg to serve. I am thinking of choucroute de navet, white beans, but I think I need something green and I have a block at this point.

I can honestly say, its not everyone who has brined stags tongues hanging out in the pantry. My, what a quandry!! :biggrin::raz:

You definetely need something green and crunchy there...whatever looks good in the market is my guess.

Wish I was in Scotland to barge in on this feast!

Ciao!

Having come back from Italy to Scotland, I have some meat products that need to be used up. Amounghst these items was a cotechino, so I have decided to produce a bollito misto. Well, a bastard scottish version. The meats I have for 6 people are;

-Cotechino

-boiling ham

-salt beef

-brined stags tongues

-smoked hough ("hock")

-pigs cheeks

Sauces, will be salsa verde, horseradish, chilli jelly and maybe a musturd fruit thing.

First, do I have to pre-soak the cotechino, which unlike other versions I have had, is semi-dried like a normal salami.

What veg to serve. I am thinking of choucroute de navet, white beans, but I think I need something green and I have a block at this point.

Well last night I cooked a lot of meat for 8 people.

To nibble I just put out some buristo, salami made from the cinti senese breed of pig and some very sweet pancetta.

For the main even the raw ingredients were (from the left, clockwise): Cotechino, gammon, pickled beef, smoked hough, pickled stag tongues and pork cheeks.

gallery_1643_926_331941.jpg

They were cooked in three seperate pots, different flavours were used etc, to keep the meats distinct in character.

After cooking they looked like this:

gallery_1643_926_50611.jpg

gallery_1643_926_544124.jpg

gallery_1643_926_516684.jpg

The sauces are chilli jam, horseradish cream, salsa verde.

Also served was braised curly kale, rape and sprouting broccoli, white beans and choucroute de navet which is from Colmar and really delicious.

Dessert was roasted strawberries with vanilla and creme fraiche.

Post-dessert was a selection of Tuscan sweetmeats.

gallery_1643_926_574946.jpg

And some experimental booze that I force my guests to drink. Left to right is sloe brandy, 18th century quince ratafia and seville orange wine (made by a friend).

gallery_1643_926_241762.jpg

Edited by Adam Balic (log)

Only the cotechino came from Italy, the rest I either made myself or had the butcher do it (I am based in Scotland). Scottish style 'picked beef' is more widely known as 'salt beef', the gamon is pork that has been pickled in much the same way. I imagine that you could get US made cotechino? It is fun to do, with what ever cuts you can get.

The problem with these food photos is scale. There was a hugh amount of meat. This image indicates scale better I hope.

gallery_1643_926_495665.jpg

Fabulous! Even the wines!

What exactly is 'gammon'? 

What lucky guests to be invited to this feast!

ciao!

Basically ham, cured leg meat. 'Gammon' has the same root as jambon = leg. Which is the same root as for 'ham', maybe a Britisher could explain the exact difference between ham and gammon, if there is one?

-Cotechino

-boiling ham

-salt beef

-brined stags tongues

-smoked hough ("hock")

-pigs cheeks

Vegetables? Why would you want vegetables? Salsa Verde is green, that should do.

I love animals.

They are delicious.