• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog : kew/Tepee

JustKay

#2.  Kew: Thanks for the brown sugar reminder. I actually used brown sugar, but I was kinda sleepy when I typed the recipe out last night. You thought it was a chinese dessert? I thought it was a Malay dessert because I first saw it in Jelita magazine!  :biggrin:

LOL! I first saw it there too!!! :laugh:

It's actually a Thai dessert. :wacko::wacko:

Meen chang kueh (thick with peanuts/sugar and thin with shredded coconut/peanuts and sugar)

gallery_28660_3_66599.jpg

This is the Apam Balik, in Malay.

Mmmmm...lemang (smoked coconut glutinous rice in bamboos) and rendang

gallery_28660_3_88649.jpg

I don't think 'smoked' is the correct description.

It's more like flame grilled.

But you would probably thots it's smoked coz the cooked ones are put aside and the fire is kept at the very minimum, and you see smoke. :raz::biggrin: Plus, the vendors nowadays 'cheat' - they boil the glutionous rice and then stuff it into the bamboo hollows coz it's way easier and faster. :rolleyes:

I'll post more about lemang later? And my dinner pics from Thrusday. I am having some probs with my image gullet album. :wacko:

Great pics TP!

Edited by kew (log)

I haven't had the time to properly read this blog but I just had to chime in..

Great work guys.. I especially love the blow by blow account of the shopping trip..

Is the bowl of red meat the daging rendang?

Like Kew, I don't 'work'(cook)during weekends (at least I try not to think too hard :blink: ). Tonite, we tried a new Yeong (Fish Paste Stuffed) Tofu (YTF) place on the recommendation of DH's colleague. Boy, oh, boy, it was the BEST YTF I've ever tasted. It wasn't the shrivelled-up commercial stuff which are already heaped on trays for you to choose. The lady only starts making them after you give your orders.

I realize I should have taken each stuffed stuff individually, but the camera's battery was on its last legs, so here they are. There are fish balls, stuffed brinjals, lady's fingers, bitter gourd, tofu skin, tofu (of course) and deep-fried tofu balls. The soup was very good too, and it didn't leave you thirsty afterwards like those heavy on MSG would. Both the chilli sauce and sweet gravy were well-bodied, not watery and insipid like so many others. Really good stuff (no pun intended). :rolleyes:

gallery_28660_3_91608.jpg

Edited by Tepee (log)

TPcal!

Food Pix (plus others)

Please take pictures of all the food you get to try (and if you can, the food at the next tables)............................Dejah

Lemang..

I almost ashamed to ask, being half malay and all.. but.. how is it different from ketupat?

Ketupat is usually made from rice. Lemang is from glutinous rice. Ketupat is boiled for many many hours in water but lemang is flame grilled.

But there is also ketupat pulut which uses glutinous rice and boiled in coconut milk and boiled for like an hour or two only.

And then there's ketupat palas.

I have to go do some baking now but I'll post in detail about these later.

RE: roti canai

That roti looks identical to what you'd find in Sarawak. For some reason, I'd gotten the impression that food gets transformed somehow as it crosses the South China Sea.

Sarawak canai gets served with those two sauces as well, the yellow one I believe is lentil curry and the red one sambal? I don't know if the Sarawak sauces get 'dumbed down' for the predominantly Chinese population, but I always find them not as spicy as I'd like.

The roti canai stall at the KLIA foodcourt offers a choice of two different sauces: the lentil curry and another, more-runny-with-less-bits-in-it, red-colored, and altogether more dangerous looking sauce. I opted for the red sauce, which was absolutely delicious, and was as spicy as I had hoped.

As I had just come right off the plane after a 20 hour flight, I lacked the clarity of thought, nor sufficient language skills to ask what that sauce was! Does anyone know what that could be?

This nasi lemak stall has been here for 15 years. We're one of their faithful patrons. Very, very reasonable...their daging rendang is goooooooood!

gallery_28660_3_16400.jpg

Dian, in these containers dwell yummy rendang daging, lauk sotong, kari ayam (chicken) and sambal ikan bilis.

Kew, do tell us more about lemang. I only know how to eat. By the way, there's one good lemang stall on the way down from Genting Highlands. Really lemak. :wub:

TPcal!

Food Pix (plus others)

Please take pictures of all the food you get to try (and if you can, the food at the next tables)............................Dejah

The roti canai stall at the KLIA foodcourt offers a choice of two different sauces: the lentil curry and another, more-runny-with-less-bits-in-it, red-colored, and altogether more dangerous looking sauce.  I opted for the red sauce, which was absolutely delicious, and was as spicy as I had hoped.

Without looking at a pic ... (maybe I'll check when I go to KLIA next) ... it sounds like the 'sambal hitam'. It is very deep red?

and with tea. This is local Mayang tea, tea leaves from Kinabalu, Sabah.

gallery_28660_3_65336.jpg

I forgot to mention that the tea is sweetened with durian-flower honey from Cameron Highlands. Very fragrant. Fragrant = don't think durian....just some fragrance you can't put your finger on. :raz:

TPcal!

Food Pix (plus others)

For dessert, there were ice-cream for the kids and kid-at-heart. :rolleyes:

gallery_28660_3_59384.jpg

Oops...on the left is a local Lychee ice-cream (new product...I've to try them all) and on the right is Sara Lee's Strawberries and Cream.

Edited by Tepee (log)

TPcal!

Food Pix (plus others)

I forgot to mention that the tea is sweetened with durian-flower honey from Cameron Highlands. Very fragrant. Fragrant = don't think durian....just some fragrance you can't put your finger on.  :raz:

Okay, do they make a version where the tea actually smells like durian? :wink:

kew, yes, the roti canai sauce is deep red. By comparing how much is left in each of the two crock pots that hold the sauces, one could deduce that the deep red sauce is probably more popular.

Come, come, my friend with the spicy name, you're asking ME for a western dessert when you're living where???

A guy could live in an apple orchard, but if he sucks at baking apple pie, he makes do with Sara Lee's from the grocery store... unless of course he can get his hands on pumpkin kaya egg custard!

That makes no sense at all, does it?

kew, yes, the roti canai sauce is deep red.  By comparing how much is left in each of the two crock pots that hold the sauces, one could deduce that the deep red sauce is probably more popular.

'Sambal hitam' is real yummy. And really, I have not seen it anywhere except at a Mamak's place. Very popular in Penang's mamak places, not so in KL.

It is almost like sambal tumis but no belacan, has some spices added, and dark/sweet soya sauce in it too. And lemongrass stalks are thrown in for the nice aroma.

It is cooked with beef slices though to give it a nice round taste. (round taste :unsure::laugh: )

It's so unfair! It's almost lunchtime here, so there's no way I can beg, borrow, steal, wheedle, or otherwise procure a Malaysian lunch, but now that I've seen those pictures, nothing in the house is going to taste good at all.

I apologize for this delayed entry.

On Thursday, I had a quick lunch of a tuna sandwich.

For dinner though, we went to the (rather) new mall in Putrajaya, The Alamanda Putrajaya.

Here are some pics of the eateries there.

The foodcourt.

gallery_17803_917_54591.jpg

Some of the restaurants. Secret recipe has Tom Yam spaghetti on the menu.

gallery_17803_917_31179.jpg

More eateries:

gallery_17803_917_48196.jpg

We had dinner at The Penang Village which specializes in Penang Nyonya food.

gallery_17803_917_223427.jpg

(nope, we don't know these people. they did give me the funny look though :rolleyes: )

gallery_17803_917_120123.jpg

Unfortunately the pictures of dinner were blurred and most didn't turn out. :sad:

The girls and I had Nasi Lemak that came with hard boiled egg, anchovy sambal tumis, fried anchovies, beef rendang, pineapple & cucumber salad, assam prawns and I ordered a side dish of mapo tofu; fried koay teow for hubby and prawn noodles for my sons. They have revised the menu - smaller portions and price reduced. But the quality deteriorated as well. For dessert, we had Honeydew Sago - I've had better elsewhere.

gallery_17803_917_18970.jpg

Edited by kew (log)

thanks, kew and teepee, for the blog and the pictures! We used to have family in KL(and some distant version of family is still there) and my uncle sometimes slips into Malay while speaking. You can take the Indian out of Malaysia, but you cannot take Malaysia out of the Indian! I am going to pass this blog link to him. He will be thrilled, for sure!

After dinner we went to Carrefour.

Didn't take much pictures but a few that I thought would be interesting.

Indian mangoes, pomegranates, golden crown melon (watermelon-like) and sun lady melon (a honeydew-like melon but its flesh is a nice orange).

gallery_17803_917_64619.jpg

(the DH was instructed to include the piece of the cut melon, but .... :rolleyes: )

Some pickled fruits:

gallery_17803_917_108579.jpg

And a wide selection of spices. Umm ... not that I would buy them ... exposed like that ... who knows what bonus stuff is in there. Eeeww! :raz::laugh:

gallery_17803_917_271155.jpg

And a booth selling all kinds of nuts from the middle east.

gallery_17803_917_82278.jpg

I'll post more details tomorrow. Gotta go to bed - it's past 5am! :shock::blink::wacko:

Edited by kew (log)

thanks, kew and teepee, for the blog and the pictures!

You're most welcome.

We used to have family in KL(and some distant version of family is still there) and my uncle sometimes slips into Malay while speaking. You can take the Indian out of Malaysia, but you cannot take Malaysia out of the Indian! I am going to pass this blog link to him. He will be thrilled, for sure!

Cool! **waving to FB's uncle** Hi Pakcik! Apa khabar? :biggrin:

Anyone want to take a stab at what some of those fruits below are? Do I recognize unripe papaya on the left second from the top? Are some of the greenish ones cucumber or some kind of melon or squash? But what I'm most curious about is, what's in the lower right-hand corner? I can't figure it out. I'm think rambutan, langsat, duku, but probably none of the above.

[...]

Some pickled fruits:

gallery_17803_917_108579.jpg

[...]

Michael aka "Pan"

Here follows a translation into American English. :biggrin:

[...]There are fish balls, stuffed brinjals, lady's fingers, bitter gourd, tofu skin, tofu (of course) and deep-fried tofu balls.[...]

Brinjals=eggplant (aubergine in England, France, et al.); lady's fingers=okra.

Michael aka "Pan"