• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog : kew/Tepee

JustKay

Interesting blog! I'm amazed at seeing all the signs in English. I've only been to Indonesia, never to Malaysia, but I sure don't remember English being so prevalent there (granted that it was 15 years ago.) What's up with that?

Interesting blog!  I'm amazed at seeing all the signs in English.  I've only been to Indonesia, never to Malaysia, but I sure don't remember English being so prevalent there (granted that it was 15 years ago.)  What's up with that?

English has always been Malaysia's second language.

Do come visit us. :smile:

I'm enjoying all the pictures of Putrajaya, which looks like a pleasant place.

Back to the topic of fusion, when I was sitting in a hotel room in Petaling Jaya in 2003, I recall watching an interview with a restaurateur in Kuala Lumpur who had a popular Italian (or should that be "Italian"?) restaurant. From what I remember, he said the secret of his popularity was adding some cili padi to all his dishes. He found that his customers wouldn't eat regular tomato-based sauces until he added a good dose of hot peppers to it. I regret that I don't remember the name of the restaurant.

I also remember that there were some specifically Malaysian offerings being advertised in posters at a McDonald's, I think (or Burger King) in KL. Asam-flavored something? Chili McChicken?

Kew, I also took note of your mention of Burmese restaurants. Next time I'm in Malaysia, if I'm not simply joyfully overdosing on Malaysian food, I might spare a meal for a Burmese place. I didn't realize that was big in Malaysia lately, but I can easily see where a style of cooking that, to my knowledge, is sort of a cross between Thai, Chinese, and Indian would go over well in Malaysia!

Michael aka "Pan"

I also remember that there were some specifically Malaysian offerings being advertised in posters at a McDonald's, I think (or Burger King) in KL. Asam-flavored something? Chili McChicken?

McSambal? They had McRendang once too. A long time ago, Samurai Burger - beef patty dipped in teriyaki sauce. For several years now, when it's Chinese New Year time, they'll offer Prosperity Burger - beef patty dipped in black pepper sauce. We also get Pineapple Pie in addition to the Apple Pie (or do you get this over there too?). Oh, and there's Bubur Ayam (chicken porridge). Now I remember another one, Maharajah Burger (or was it Maharani Burger?)

Burger King's specials have always been more of international flavors like the Medditeranean Burger, Kofta Burger, Italian Chick 'n Crisp, Black Pepper ... which has since been incorprated into the menu,just like the Double Swiss Mushroom Burger. I think I might have seen a Rendang Burger during the Eid season but I didn't try it so can't remember. :laugh: the Kofta Burger was delish - they used a different kind of bread (the name eludes me at this point. :hmmm: ) And there was a BBQ burger of some sort one time too, a Texas kinda burger, with onion rings in it too. :unsure: Rodeo Burger, I think it was. And another special... a French kinda burger, uses a croissant instead of burger bun and French salami.

Now all this talk is making me miss White Castle, Carls. Jr, Grandy's, Popeyes Chicken & Biscuit ........ :sad::wacko: They were all here once before. I would kill for a Carl's Jr's Roast Beef Sandwhich (they make great onion rings too compared to all other fast food chains here) or Popeye's Dirty Rice and their mash taters and Cajun gravy and the cajun battered fries..... :wacko::wacko: **someone bring them all back here!!**

Edited by kew (log)

Kew, I'm not sure halal-observant Muslims would really want to eat dirty rice. :hmmm:

I did some web searching, and it seems like the apple pie is the only standard pie offering at US McDonalds locations, though it's unclear whether what I'm looking at is a complete list. I haven't set foot in a McDonalds for a long time. It wouldn't surprise me if McDonald's is actually good in Malaysia, but I avoid it here -- and there, because there are a slew of places that are more interesting to me.

Michael aka "Pan"

Kew, I'm not sure halal-observant Muslims would really want to eat dirty rice. :hmmm:

But Pan ... the Popeye's here was Halal certified by JAKIM (the Malaysian governmet arm that does the certification). I'm sure they tweaked the ingredients. :biggrin:

It wouldn't surprise me if McDonald's is actually good in Malaysia, but I avoid it here -- and there, because there are a slew of places that are more interesting to me.

LOL! They're not that good. But they have excellent marketing strategy. I'd rather go to Burger King instead. We go there coz the kids are wanting the toys :rolleyes: .

Burger King is another place I avoid, though. But I have a feeling those chains are in fact better in places like Malaysia and India where I sort of figure fewer people will tolerate untasty food than in the US. (Did I just step into a can of worms? :blink::hmmm:)

Michael aka "Pan"

Burger King is another place I avoid, though. But I have a feeling those chains are in fact better in places like Malaysia and India where I sort of figure fewer people will tolerate untasty food than in the US. (Did I just step into a can of worms?  :blink::hmmm:)

I've only had the pleasure of visiting the Big US of A once. We hooked up with a local tour and there was a lot of ground to be covered in the 9 days. To enable us to do more sightseeing, we opt for fast food most of the time, which was basically Burger King (for breakfast) and chinese food(for dinner/lunch). It was a torture to go into a Burger King for a third time. The hash browns were dry and burnt most of the time. I don't recall the ones sold locally to be like that. As for the chinese food, you can't tell one restaurant from another. One thing I can say for them is their portion is twice what we expect for one person's serving, so in the end we knew better to order one portion for 2.

But of course I would not venture to even begin to think that other US food will give me the same experience. I'm an optimist, and I do look forward to discovering great food in our next visit.

Edited by Tepee (log)

TPcal!

Food Pix (plus others)

Please take pictures of all the food you get to try (and if you can, the food at the next tables)............................Dejah

We have to talk about Greek diners before your next visit. I had a nice lunch at one in Brooklyn, and I'll post about it at some future point on the New York Forum.

Michael aka "Pan"

But of course I would not venture to even begin to think that other US food will give me the same experience. I'm an optimist, and I do look forward to discovering great food in our next visit.

Hey Tepee, for a good (food) time, hook up with some eGulleteers!

If you're coming to NYC, I have to say Pan will make an excellent guide. He knows ALL the places!

Generally speaking (and speaking very generally now), I think it's much easier to "stumble" onto good food in Malaysia. Even places you wouldn't expect to be good, like shopping mall food courts, or at the airport, can provide surprisingly pleasant dining experiences.

That happens to me much less in the States. The surprises are usually unpleasant ones. Not to say that good food can't be found, but you gotta know where to look, or have a guide.

Pandan in Okinawa, where both P. odoratissimus and P. Tectorius are known as "adan".

In Okinawa, the general idea seems to be that you can eat the heart (budding leaves) cooked but not raw, and you can *maybe* eat the fruit of P. odoratissimus, but other people seem to think that the whole plant is poisonous...do Malaysians use pandan for food in any way, or just for flavoring?

edit: Now I realize that your Pandan is P. amaryllifolius...the reason I couldn't find it in Japan is because Japan calls that plant P. odorus (nioi-takonoki). Now I'm curious...does the fragrant-leaved Pandan also have fruit?

Nestum, eh? I have a Malaysian friend who is devoted to Horlicks... :shock:

Edited by helenjp (log)

Interesting blog!  I'm amazed at seeing all the signs in English.  I've only been to Indonesia, never to Malaysia, but I sure don't remember English being so prevalent there (granted that it was 15 years ago.)  What's up with that?

Abra, maybe the difference can also be attributed to the history of the two countries. Malaysia was once a British colony, and Indonesia a Dutch one. Many years ago, English was the medium of education in Malaysia, and it was also used in legal proceedings.

The English influence can be felt in many aspects of present day Malaysia; in the architecture, on the roads (Malaysians drive on the left side), and in government, but to their credit, they knew enough to leave the food alone. :biggrin:

Burger King is another place I avoid, though. But I have a feeling those chains are in fact better in places like Malaysia and India where I sort of figure fewer people will tolerate untasty food than in the US. (Did I just step into a can of worms?  :blink::hmmm:)

lovely blog; exiled in the us i gazed with such longing on all

the fruit trees. i've only been to malaysia on a very brief

stopover to india but it seemed a lovely place.

re the BK and McD, and the chilis in "Italian" food:

youre right. they serve MUCH better food than the US versions

(e.g. McChicken Tikka; LOTS of vegetarian options, etc.) in India.

Still not so good as the local food, but the "glamour" of the place

draws crowds, also tourists who fear the local food.

Re chilis in Italian food: same in many restaurants in India.

the pesto frequently has green chilis and cilantro etc in it.

Regular Italian food is too bland for most Indians; though

some high end restaurants in Delhi etc do serve the authentic stuff.

milagai

In honor of this blog, I'm having a hot cup of Milo and buttered toast with kaya for breakfast.

The kaya is not freshly made.  It's the nasty flourescent orange type that comes out of a tin.  Tastes fantastic though when you're 10,000 miles away.

Talking about kaya, you can find good kaya (either pandan-flavored or original) in the pasar malam. Our children love them kopitiam-style - smothered and oozing on lightly-toasted white kopitiam bread - with slices of banana in between.

p/s Laksa, I'll keep the Pan-guide-tip in mind. Thanks.

Add: Toast must be generously buttered too. :rolleyes:

Edited by Tepee (log)

TPcal!

Food Pix (plus others)

Please take pictures of all the food you get to try (and if you can, the food at the next tables)............................Dejah

Another amazing blog! Meals, recipes, photos and a travel log as well. This site is quite a blessing.

I had a McDonald's Bulgolgi burger in Pohang South Korea, it was pretty gross. The only bad meal I had on the trip!

The real stuff Bulgolgi at a BBQ place later that night was the very best.

The peri -peri chicken looks yummy.

Thank you.

Ah, it's been way too long since I did a butt. - Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

--------------------

One summers evening drunk to hell, I sat there nearly lifeless…Warren

((((Nervous pssst...Kew, do I take over now?))))

((Clearing throat))

Hi all! My intro is practically identical to Kew’s. I’m also a SAHM, but with 3 girls, ages 3-plus to 11. And, I, too, quit my job 8 years ago, to enjoy the fleeting childhood years. Was a fund manager with an insurance firm in my previous life. If you think you can say my name (Teck Poh) and it sounds polite, be my guest to use that the next time. Stick to Tepee if it sounds like …er…something else. :blink:

Before I had kids, I baked and cooked although it was only for DH and myself. We’d invite family/friends to a different themed dinner at our home almost every weekend. When DD#3 came along, I felt a bit overwhelmed and we settled for catered food. This lasted, incredibly, for almost 3 years! I’d get my 3-tier tiffin delivered to our gate every day. I suddenly realized the kids didn’t look healthy. Besides, they kept saying they missed my cooking. I finally made the decision to cook again when the tiffin started arriving at 3.30 pm. Horrors, can you imagine what time they must have prepared the food? By the time we have our dinner at 7-nish, all the nutrients would have gone. I refuse to subject my loved ones to zero-nutrition food (except for the odd McDonalds, now and then, and that’s provided mommy likes the toys too). And so, I’ve been happily re-discovering the joy of cooking for the past 4 months. It sure is fulfilling to see rosy cheeks on the kids again.

And on with the Blog........ It's half past eight in the morning now.

I had a glass or 2 of unboiled RO (reverse-osmosis) water. Do that every morning. The girls had their Milo. This morning, they had

gallery_12248_3_193709.jpg

The fuzz didn't come from the bear (which the girls insisted on including in the pic). Their uncle bought Chicken Meat Floss bun for them last night. It's filled with Kraft Miracle Whip all-purpose dressing. This bun is on my agenda of many-things-to-bake- one-day-soon. Then, we still have left-over chinese new year biscuits.

gallery_12248_3_97757.jpg

From the left: Green Bean Very Fragile Biscuits (my fav)

Light Almond Biscuits (my sis made them)

Love Letters (also my fav)

Packed muesli bars for their school recess. After I came back from fetching the kids to school, I have my breakfast, a very satisfying mug of organic almond drink.

gallery_12248_3_115294.jpg

Did I mention I'm into organic food...well, around 50%.

TPcal!

Food Pix (plus others)

A couple of leaves I picked from our garden. Will be adding them to fish cutlets I'm making for dinner. I'll be pretty busy in the kitchen this morning, preparing lunch and parts of dinner, as I'm going to visit my fav shop (cake supplies shop) this afternoon with a friend. Hopefully, they'll allow me to snap some.

gallery_12248_3_319758.jpg

kaffir lime leaves/daun limau purut on the left, and daun kaduk (someone help with the english name?) on the right. Daun kaduk is usually used in fish custard/otak-otak. My garden is over-run with them; a good hiding place for little squirrels. Help!

gallery_12248_3_258913.jpg

My almost botak (bald) pandan plant and daun kaduk. I'm not taking any more garden pics coz it's in a very unkempt state at the moment. DH's job to take care of the outdoor, but he's been pretty busy at work these days.

But, here's some of my other plants, unweeded. Calamansi, lime, limau purut, ginger, pandan. Kew, do you think I can borrow one of your gardeners?

gallery_12248_3_115954.jpg

TPcal!

Food Pix (plus others)

Hi TP

That chicken floss bun looks good, it's making me feel really hungry.

Did you make the kuih kapit (love letters)? Strangely, I like soft kuih kapit that's been left out for too long as much as the fresh crispy ones - it's fun to try and slowly unfold them :biggrin:.

Daun kadok are called wild pepper leaves in English. Hmmm... freshly picked daun limau purut (kaffir lime leaves) and daun kadok - are you planning on making some steamed otak-otak (fish and egg custard) :raz: hint, hint.

Kew - what was for lunch and dinner yesterday?

SHIEWIE!!!!!! Come back! I need you to identify some veggies in english. (I haven't lived abroad before, so I'm afraid my food terms are pretty much confined to M'sian names).

Touaregsand was asking for pics of our open air markets the other day. We'll be going tomorrow morning, but, on Tuesday, after my dentist visit, I went to a nearby mall where the market is enclosed but the concept is the same as an open one. Please excuse the pics. I had to switch on the camera in my bag, take it out and snap quick shots, as, according to one of the proprietors, photographing is not allowed there.

Here's one of the fruit stalls - lots of bananas, pineapples, oranges, honeydew melon. The dark orange boxes in the backqround are leftover mandarin oranges from Chinese New Year. They're selling for half-price.

gallery_12248_3_259288.jpg

On the front row, you can see turnip (as I know. I think western turnip is not quite the same, no?), yam, beetroot and old cucumber (great for soup). Back row: Pickled mustard greens, potatoes, red onions, shallots and garlic.

gallery_12248_3_105654.jpg

Going anticlockwise from the bottom front, there's brocolli, dau mieu (shoots), chinese and english parsley, lotus roots (ah, this can go into the soup with the old cucumber), red and green capsicum.

gallery_12248_3_303249.jpg

Will try to get a wider look at a market tomorrow.

TPcal!

Food Pix (plus others)

Kew, do you think I can borrow one of your gardeners?

LOL! If you want your plants 'sculpted' sure! :laugh:

..... and daun kaduk (someone help with the english name?) on the right. Daun kaduk is usually used in fish custard/otak-otak. My garden is over-run with them; a good hiding place for little squirrels. Help!

linkie to Daun Kadok

**kew runs away from thread! ** :laugh: I'll post in a moment.

Edited by kew (log)

On the front row, you can see turnip (as I know. I think western turnip is not quite the same, no?)

You're talking about sengkuang, right? It's Jicama in English. Or Mexican Turnip. Also known as yam bean (just found this out lol!)

Linkie with pic

Edited by kew (log)

Hi TP

That chicken floss bun looks good, it's making me feel really hungry.

It's from Bread Story.

Did you make the kuih kapit (love letters)? Strangely, I like soft kuih kapit that's been left out for too long as much as the fresh crispy ones - it's fun to try and slowly unfold them  :biggrin:.

Nope, bought them. I've a tin of soft ones and crispy ones now. The soft ones I'm going to use for a tea-time treat tomorrow.

Daun kadok are called wild pepper leaves in English. Hmmm... freshly picked daun limau purut (kaffir lime leaves) and daun kadok - are you planning on making some steamed otak-otak (fish and egg custard)  :raz: hint, hint.

Thanks, Shiewie. Hehe, not making otak-otak...something drier.

This inquiring mind would like to know too.

TPcal!

Food Pix (plus others)

..... according to one of the proprietors, photographing is not allowed there.

True dat. They were looking at me funny at the pasar malam and The Souq (except the Dairy King guy who got excited and posed. :rolleyes::laugh: )