• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kitchen Renos

rgruby

I thought the Thomasville doors looked a bit better than the Ikea ones, and maybe felt a bit more solid. The hinges for Thomasville were Salice. They looked nice - but I'm no expert on hinges. The hinges at Ikea were Blum! And at least some of the sliders were too (some of them didn't have names on them, so I couldn't determine whether or not they were Blum as well). The sliders on the Thomasville drawers looked quite solid, but the ones for the pull-out drawers seemed quite flimsy.

I have to say, comparing Ikea with Thomasville cabinets within a few minutes of each other, I came away highly impressed with the Ikea product. And it is considerably less expensive as well.

Thanks for doing a little field research for me Geoff!!

Being Norwegian, it pains me to give the Swedes credit for anything ... but good on IKEA. BTW, there's nothing wrong with Salice ... I just like Blum better.

A.

• 3 years later...

I'm planning to install a couple of walls of pegboard in my kitchen - anybody know about how to paint it? Hardware store didn't seem too sure about this. Thanks in advance.

[edit: sorry, wrong forum, but replies still welcome]

Edited by violetfox (log)

"Life itself is the proper binge" Julia Child