• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Favorite Vancouver produce shop

Vancouver

Topping the list right now are pear cactuses and pine mushrooms (matsatuke).  I have no idea what to do with cactus and I refuse to believe some West Van trophy does either. 

I've bought pear cactus before at GI, just because it was one of the craziest looking things I'd ever seen. Very bland (at least the one I ate. I took a bite and threw it out.)

Kin's (various locations) really seems to come through for me. You have to watch prices on some stuff, but I can still walk out of there with fruit and veg for a week for a family of 5 for $20. And it's the quality I really like. Especially the fruit. They've got some really nice stuff most of the time.