• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Eatin' Ethiopian

Sam Salmon

Like many here there are always places on my list that I never seem to get to.

However time and circumstance have led me to try Nyala 2930 4th Avenue West - (604) 731-7899 and House of Selassie 2145 Granville Street (604) 736-2145 within the space of a week-thus this somewhat uncharacteristic report.

First to Nyala a long established west side place painted in Ethiopia's national colours.

The room is informal and welcoming if somewhat worn-the sensuous music snaking out of the speakers in the back does however set a tone.

Prices are very reasonable and the food is a melange of Ethiopian stews/salads serves on a 'platter' of Injera-the national bread.

Unfortunately the bread was the best feature of Nyala the night I was there-the stews-2 veggies dishes-were undistinguished at best.

Berbere-the distinctive red sauce-with fried Chickpea flour nuggets therein was forgettable and the Spinach/Onion dish tasted oddly of fish. :unsure:

The salads served on the same plate were for the most part tasteless-I mean who ever heard of tasteless Beets but believe me it can be done I have had them.

This place seems to function on a 'beginner' level and it's hard for me to imagine circumstances that would cause me to ever return.

House of Selassie I'm Happy to say is a treat, a triumph and a terrific way to introduce yourself to Ethiopia's complex and beguiling cuisine.

The room is plain the welcome warm and heartfelt and the music is rootsy-the owners formerly ran the legendary Lalibela (and therein lies a tale).

Again I had a Veggie Special but what a world of difference!

Spinach simmered in spices sublime, Berbere so smooth red and succulent, Lentils & Pulses cooked with a light and charming touch, Tomato and Lettuce Salad had a dressing that tasted of an afternoon outdoors.

There were so many different items on my plate I've forgotten a number-I'll be back there for certain to familiarize myself with this unique restaurant, it's charming hosts and ambrosial food. :wub:

Sam,

Sorry to hear your evening at Nyala was so forgettable.

Everytime I have been there it has been a tasty experience, I loved the goat curry and have been wanting to return for it. It was a while ago I was there so maybe standards have dropped a little.

Aaron.

Slightly off topic , but please forgive .

On reading a menu of an Ethiopian restaurant in North London, UK. i was shocked to see that they were serving a dish called "derek tibbs " .

i kid you not, egulleters.

i beleive it was a dish of ground beef, spiced and simmered in a tomato based sauce , or some guy who left his wallet in his other pants .

i have googled in vain to find a link to this establishment and its penchant for serving its customers its customers.

Edited by transfattyacid (log)
tt

It's been about 5 months or so since I have eaten at Nyala for their buffet. While not spectacular food, it fit the bill nicely to try something different. I also enjoy the eating style with ripping the bread and grabbing tasty lamb chunks. Went well with a nice beer.

I'm looking forward to trying the House of Selassie, thanks for the suggestion! :smile:

Thank you for recommending House of Selassie! I just popped in there for a quick bite. The only other Ethiopian place I have tried in Vancouver was someplace on East Broadway, and House of Selassie is SO MUCH better! I really enjoyed the doro wat and lamb. I will definitely be back. I pass by the location all the time, and never noticed it. So thank you for pointing it out!!!!!

Reminds me of the food available in Washington D.C. in Adams Morgan. That is a tough level to match, and House of Selassie surpassed it. I was quite happy. :smile:

Cheers!

Like many here there are always places on my list that I never seem to get to.

However time and circumstance have led me to try Nyala 2930 4th Avenue West - (604) 731-7899 and House of Selassie 2145 Granville Street (604) 736-2145 within the space of a week-thus this somewhat uncharacteristic report.

First to Nyala a long established west side place painted in Ethiopia's national colours.

The room is informal and welcoming if somewhat worn-the sensuous music snaking out of the speakers in the back does however set a tone.

Prices are very reasonable and the food is a melange of Ethiopian stews/salads serves on a 'platter' of Injera-the national bread.

Unfortunately the bread was the best feature of Nyala the night I was there-the stews-2 veggies dishes-were undistinguished at best.

Berbere-the distinctive red sauce-with fried Chickpea flour nuggets therein was forgettable and the Spinach/Onion dish tasted oddly of fish. :unsure:

The salads served on the same plate were for the most part tasteless-I mean who ever heard of tasteless Beets but believe me it can be done I have had them.

This place seems to function on a 'beginner' level and it's hard for me to imagine circumstances that would cause me to ever return.

House of Selassie I'm Happy to say is a treat, a triumph and a terrific way to introduce yourself to Ethiopia's complex and beguiling cuisine.

The room is plain the welcome warm and heartfelt and the music is rootsy-the owners formerly ran the legendary Lalibela (and therein lies a tale).

Again I had a Veggie Special but what a world of difference!

Spinach simmered in spices sublime, Berbere so smooth red and succulent, Lentils & Pulses cooked with a light and charming touch, Tomato and Lettuce Salad had a dressing that tasted of an afternoon outdoors.

There were so many different items on my plate I've forgotten a number-I'll be back there for certain to familiarize myself with this unique restaurant, it's charming hosts and ambrosial food. :wub:

What an interesting comparison you have tilled on the road less travelled, Sam.

Looking forward to the tales of Lalibela--do dish.

Jamie

from the thinly veneered desk of:

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

www.vancouvermagazine.com

Foodblog: In the Belly of the Feast - Eating BC

"Profumo profondo della mia carne"

• 2 months later...

Yeah, the Fasil on East Broadway is good. It is a grungy 'hood, and the restaurant won't win any awards for decor, but the food is good and the woman who runs the place is sweet. We've gone a couple of times with 6-8 people and just told her to feed us for, like, $100 or so bucks. She chose all the dishes. It took a while (she's alone in the kitchen) but the food was good and there was too much to finish.

Paul B

• 3 weeks later...

Just went to House of Selassie last night myself with the girlfriend.

For a place as quiet as it was, I was amazed how fresh the food was. The greens in the salad were beautiful and perfectly dressed. Really great food, and a great host too.

Great food, and very inexpensive. Can't wait to bring the gang in for the banquet.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I was wondering the same thing in the Openings and Closings thread...

The menus outside are gone, the tables and chairs seem to be piled up at one end of the room... that cannot be good, especially when there is no sign on the door explaining what is going on.

It is a shame, really. Their food was so good and the host was very welcoming. By comparison, I find the flavours at Nyala much more one-dimensional. I guess I will have to find a new place to break injera with my friends :sad:

Emmanuelle

The menus outside are gone, the tables and chairs seem to be piled up at one end of the room... that cannot be good, especially when there is no sign on the door explaining what is going on.

It is a shame, really. Their food was so good and the host was very welcoming. By comparison, I find the flavours at Nyala much more one-dimensional. I guess I will have to find a new place to break injera with my friends :sad:

I believe they are closed. Sandy tried to go a few weeks ago and it looks totally and utterly closed. This is a real shame since it (IMHO) bettered Nyala by a long shot and the owner "Gerba" or was it "Germa" was an amazing host who really gave you the homestyle treatment.

I really hope he just moved instead of closed down...

:sad:

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

I believe they are closed. Sandy tried to go a few weeks ago and it looks totally and utterly closed. This is a real shame since it (IMHO) bettered Nyala by a long shot and the owner "Gerba" or was it "Germa" was an amazing host who really gave you the homestyle treatment.

I really hope he just moved instead of closed down...

:sad:

Dialed their number, the Telus lady voice said the number is not in service. :sad:

ETA

Probably got a hefty rent increase, so had to move out?

Edited by ~cayenne~ (log)

"If cookin' with tabasco makes me white trash, I don't wanna be recycled."

courtesy of jsolomon

Damn. House of Selassie was on my "To Eat At" list, and I've been meaning to get there for some time now. Oh well. I snoozed, I lost. :sad:

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

*Sigh*

The dish I will miss most is their kifto (spicy chopped beef). The texture was somewhere between steak tartare and the Lebanese specialty habra nayye. It was amazing.

Here is hoping that they will reopen soon in another location...

Edited by Little Frog (log)
Emmanuelle

Damn. House of Selassie was on my "To Eat At" list, and I've been meaning to get there for some time now. Oh well. I snoozed, I lost. :sad:

Ah, same here! The place got a very good review on Adam's evevancouver.com and definitely seemed like a place to get a bang for your buck.

One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.

Virginia Woolf

• 8 months later...

Did Nyala open a 2nd location on Main street? Or did it just move there? I passed by Nyala on main just a bit south of King Edward today. It was the first time I noticed it there. Anyone been?

Cheers!

I was at Nyala a couple of weeks ago on Main and King Ed...I wasn't aware that it had moved as I've just moved to the 'hood.

It was not bad...nothing too special. My wife and I had a curry dish (chicken I think) and a vegetable dish. The chicken was quite good...the other dish was highly forgettable. She enjoyed it much more than I did I think. I doubt I'd return as the service was very slow/unattentive. Also, the bread they served was very spongy and tasteless....perhaps it's supposed to be this way? I'm not sure as it was my first forray into Ethiopian cuisine.

The Nyala on 4th Avenue is no more. I noticed about a month ago that everything inside had been removed, and as I drove by on Thursday I noted the building is now gone :blink: . Not sure if it's already been listed on the opening/closing thread.