• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bacon Based Dessert

docsconz

Greetings,

This idea of using bacon was influenced by my mind being free. A lesson that I learned studding in France under Pierre Gagnaire & my greatest influence Craig Shelton. When a mind is free the artist can play. Understanding flavors and the structure of i.e. cells, acids, and fats one can really explore cuisine. The best thing about this dessert is that I dreamed of the flavors and let my mind dance with my heart. I am not trying to recreate anything like any of the other cooks you have spoken of I really do not leave my little world. Please do not think that I am trying to copy such masters. I am just studding the limits of cuisine (Molecular Gastronomy) in upstate NY. There are many ideas that we as scientists in a kitchen are exploring and we should be exploring as Cuisiniers. Everyday we must learn, love, and teach to share is a fine art alone.

Those peanut butter, bacon, and chocolate truffles sound very good. Peanut butter and bacon are a perfect combo, and peanut butter and chocolate are a perfect combo, so why not get all three at once?

I am imagining an ultra-dense Peanut butter-bacon cheesecake with perhaps a salted pecan/dark chocolate crust, all topped off with a brown sugar/bourbon glaze., and a couple strips of bacon laid across for good measure...

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

• 3 weeks later...

I made the bacon-peanut butter truffles from Saveur this weekend. Yum! Do try them. They were salty and sweet and creamy and crunchy--all my favorites. They were easy to make.

Three comments: I used Smuckers natural peanut butter (peanuts and salt) because that's what I like, but I think they would be creamier with traditional peanut butter and I think that's what they mean in the recipe. Mine were crumblier, but still very good. Also, before dipping them in chocolate the truffles are refrigerated for 1 hour, but mine were still soft. I still managed to dip them. Lastly, with the natural PB they are barely sweet, so I added a little extra sugar. I used 4 strips of Oscar Meyer lean bacon (also what I had on hand).

edited for accuracy

Edited by achevres (log)

• 2 years later...

I just came across a bacon dessert that looked like it might be good. Here's the link: http://www.nytimes.com/slideshow/2007/09/2...LIDESHOW_4.html - apricot cornbread with bacon, topped with maple ice cream.

Edited by CanadianBakin' (log)

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden