• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Design Our Dream BC Restaurant

jamiemaw

Off topic a little - I had dinner at Gaddy's at the Peninsula Hotel in HK a few years ago and got to speaking with the Chef - who told me that when he was interviewing with Hotel Management he asked what was his food budget. He was told not to worry about the cost but to concetrate on producing the best food he could (the guy had Welsh Lamb flown in daily). Insane or what!? Should cost be a consideration in our little dream restaurant.

Also - doesn't 'uber' literally translate to 'over' not 'super'. Well - maybe Yaletown is 'over' (except for the g-bread pudding pusher).

Been reading this thread - and I what I would love in Vancouver is a Delfina type restaurant. A really excellent restaurant where the food and wine is taken seriously but set up as though it was a neighbourhood place. Emphasis on seasonality and local ingredients and civilised prices and portions (please not too much). I would love to have things like local dungeness crab (cakes, w/ pasta, cracked pepper - in the singapore style), deep fried stuffed zuchini blossoms stuffed with young a local goat cheese, sweet local spot prawns, panne cotta made from local cow's milk dressed with BC berries.

Uggh - you are right of course Deborah - I was hoping that nobody was going to call me on it.  Who said egullteers are not a smart bunch?

(A "bunch" of what though - is the real question).

Sorry, I thought it was a bona fide question, gullible gulleter here...

Next time I'll just let you make your jokes in peace!!

:raz:

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies

Just to show you all what a food-geek I am ... I thought of this idea as I was driving out to Pitt Meadows to see my kids this afternoon. I was so worried that somebody would beat me to it that I raced home... but only after I had a wonderful relaxing walk with my sons along the Alouette River Dykes :raz:

I've been thinking about this topic for a while now. Really been enjoying the posts, but wanted to take a more serious look at the idea. The first question that popped into my mind was "What sort of food is not well represented in the Lower Mainland?" On the way out to Pitt Meadows it hit me ...

Mexican.

We were talking about it in this thread (CLICK-OLÉ) a while back, and IIRC we came up with a pretty good definition of what we're missing in the way of true Mexican cuisine. Time to fix that.

The cuisine works well with the Jericho location ... but I have another idea :unsure: Inspired by the recent "Sobo Moves" thread (CLICK-OFINO) , I thought that a couple of taco trucks cruising the city might be in order. There could be some liscencing issues here, but that's somebody else's problem. I'm an idea guy. In addition to the restaurant, we'd have two trucks cruising the city during the warmer months. One truck would be, say, green, and the other, say, blue. The menu in each truck would be slightly different, so as to create a desire to seek out the other truck.

Neil: I had a great Ahi-Taco (sorry - I couldn't say it :laugh: ) at the Green Truck yesterday.

Joie: Those are great, but you gotta have the Mole Chicken from the Blue Truck!

Of course, all items would be available at the restaurant, plus daily specials. In the Mexican thread I linked to above, shelora already outlines a great menu:

First off are picadillos. In fact, I'm making one this evening. Picadillos come in many different colours and flavours. A typical one, that I'm making is ground pork sauteed with almonds, olives, capers, tomatoes, Mexican oregano, mint, onions and garlic.

Soups - are easy and run the gamut from simple caldos, Sopa de Tortilla (great profit margin) to a complex sopa de Mariscos (seafood soup)

Chile Rellenos - feature item, perhaps changing weekly. STuffed chiles both fresh and fire roasted or dried chiles, battered or not. Lots of dried chiles are better hydrated with a bit of tequila, orange juice and piloncillo (traditional cane sugar, easy to obtain). Served with a tomato caldo. I've served the smoke chile pasilla served warm with a filling of peaches and queso fresco. The reduction of the tequila. orange juice marinade was exquisite.

Lots of seafood - ceviche, tacos (fish tacos, baja-style), whole fish,

Meats - pibil style, baked in banana leaves,smothered in achiote pastes (easy to obtain) served individually - pork ribs.

Moles and Pipianes - a must. Pipianes are sauces made with almonds.

Moles run the gamut, some with nuts, some without, most without chocolate. Of course, you would have the chocolate one just cuz that what everyone is used to.

Then there's the bar:

The bar would need to have good tequilas and perhaps serve a tasters plates, as it were. A selection of three different 100% agaves, like a silver, reposado and an anejo, maybe a house made sangrita to go with that. I also love being served tequila in a cucumber, like some places do in Mexico City. Great wine selection to match Mexican food and good beer on tap.

Is that enough to start with?

A.

Really been enjoying the posts, but wanted to take a more serious look at the idea. The first question that popped into my mind was "What sort of food is not well represented in the Lower Mainland?" On the way out to Pitt Meadows it hit me ...

Mexican.

...I thought that a couple of taco trucks cruising the city might be in order....  In addition to the restaurant, we'd have two trucks cruising the city during the warmer months.  One truck would be, say, green, and the other, say, blue.  The menu in each truck would be slightly different, so as to create a desire to seek out the other truck.

Neil: I had a great Ahi-Taco (sorry - I couldn't say it  :laugh: ) at the Green Truck yesterday.

Joie: Those are great, but you gotta have the Mole Chicken from the Blue Truck!

Of course, all items would be available at the restaurant, plus daily specials.

Food geeks + taco trucks + cell phones = Vancouver's newest road racing phenomenon.

After coordinating with a friend/friends via cell phone to order from opposing trucks simultaneously, the game's end goal would be to finish eating and race across town to the other taco truck, order and polish off your meal before your opponent does or before the daily special runs out.

Of course, there are rules and hazards associated with this sport. Gelato and chocolate refuelling pit stops are forbidden. There's also the fear of getting lost in the urban wilderness that is Vancouver... I can just imagine Ling driving around aimlessly for three hours only to end up at a Taco Time in Aldergrove.

Panuchos and salbutes at twenty paces!

Sorry Arne. We now return you to your regularly scheduled dissemination of the absence of good Mexican food in metropolitan Vancouver. And I'm all for the taco truck idea.

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

Funnily, I have been thinking the same thing for a long time. My newest obsession is with Authentic Mexican food. LOVE LOVE LOVE the stuff!

One of my employees introduced me to mole, and I have never looked back.

Having a Mexican Party soon!!!!

But as much as I love the idea...would it be enough to get people out to Jericho? There has to be something else....Maybe a specialty store that sells premium Tequilas? A small club? Mexican cooking lessons? A small cheap hotel where people could spend the night after they drink too many margaritas and tequila? Think people!

Arne....LOVE the truck(s). When you get it going on...I want the cell phone # so that they could do delivery to my work! :biggrin::biggrin:

But as much as I love the idea...would it be enough to get people out to Jericho?  There has to be something else....Maybe a specialty store that sells premium Tequilas?  A small club?  Mexican cooking lessons?  A small cheap hotel where people could spend the night after they drink too many margaritas and tequila?  Think people!

Again, I quote the illustrious shelora ...

Mexican regional food is something I have been studying for quite some time since I had my first goat barbacoa in Oaxaca in 1992. That was pit barbequed with fragrant avocado leaves and chile pastes. I was shocked at the incredible complexity and diversity of the foods in Mexico and still am and that's what keeps me going back for more. Leaving again on the 13th of December, first to collect the amazing sea salt of Zihuatanejo (fleur de sel be dammed) and then back to Oaxaca where we have some special meals planned.

A couple really great ideas contained therein. Pit barbecue ... design the restaurant so that during the warmer months the roof would open up and have the pit "outside." Don't you think Lower Mainlanders would jump at the chance to have a fire on the beach ... with a nice Pinot :laugh:

The specialty salts, dired chiles ... all good draws as well.

...Antonio Banderas playing mariachi music?

Well, if we could get Carlos Santana as the house band, I think we'd have a slam dunk!

A.

Neil has been pretty quiet on this one.  How does he feel about "his" place turning Mexican? :wink:

I can't respond right now !

I am on hold with Carlos Santana's people. Makin' deals, arranging transport. They are trying to get me to have Menudo as the opening act but I am holding firm on NO !

I am bending to pressure and releasing my stranglehold on this dream.

Wandering Mariachi's ?

Charo as the head hostess

It is coming together now.

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

www.hamiltonstreetgrill.com

Opening soon: Jericho Cafe

See: Our Hostess Charo personally man both the regular entrance and the trap-door entrance to the dungeon! (Have you tried the pit barbeque'd meat today by the way?)

Hear: The long-forgotten sounds of Menudo, successfully scavenged from the "Where are they now" dumpster by our very own Executive Chef!

Taste: Chef Neil's take on new classics Carne Assada Norde and Ahi Taco al Fresco!

Enjoy: Five star service from our school boys and school girls!

:blink: The food concept is good, but the rest of it is just going to be a freak magnet. :laugh:

PS: Daddy-A I like the dueling trucks idea! Roming around to different neighborhoods like ice cream trucks - this is a winner. We'll need permits to get onto GI though...

edited to correct the spelling of "pit" - yeesh! :wacko:

Edited by BCinBC (log)

I had to look up Charo--omigod, she's the freaky woman on "The Surreal Life"! :sad: I like the ideas for the pit bbq and the Mexican food...can't say I don't find the school boy/girl outfits just the slightest bit creepy though.... :unsure:

And I want Batali's Iron Chef dessert of churros and melted Mexican chocolate (I think he put some sort of heat and some cinnamon in there) on the dessert menu. :wub:

Edited by Ling (log)

Isn't menudo also the name of the mexican stew full of cow offal? It is classic fit to your concept of the the mexican food van. So will Menudo menudo be on the menu?

In fact if you google menudo - the stew comes up first. Here is handy recipe.

3 pounds tripe

3 pounds nixtamal (hominy) frozen, not canned

3 pounds pigs feet (not calves) cut into quarters

1 large onion diced

1 bunch green onion cut up in 1/4" pieces

1 bunch of cilantro chopped

2 tablespoons Oregano

1 tablespoon black pepper

1 tablespoon red pepper flakes

1 head of garlic

2 tablespoons salt

Wash tripe thoroughly, remove excess fat and cut into bite sized pieces, wash nixtamal and pigs feet well and combine all ingredient in a large pot with enough water to cover. Bring to a boil and simmer slowly until corn opens and is cooked (not overcooked). Skim off grease. It is best if you can refrigerate it in order to remove all grease.

Serve with fresh cilantro, chopped green onion, chiltepin, limon and toasted bolillos.

Buen provecho!!

I had to look up Charo--omigod, she's the freaky woman on "The Surreal Life"!  :sad:

I feel so OLD! :huh: Just don't ask Ling about "Welcome Back Kotter" :wink:

A.

Christ, even I feel old after that one and let's not even get started with Kotter discussion :hmmm::raz:

I think that a Mexican restaurant on Jericho beach is a brilliant idea. Now, how to get people there in the winter....Dog Friendly....Have a covered warm patio that has an area for dogs to play with a puppy sitter, that alone would make money.

I think that a Mexican restaurant on Jericho beach is a brilliant idea.  Now, how to get people there in the winter....Dog Friendly....Have a covered warm patio that has an area for dogs to play with a puppy sitter, that alone would make money.

Yes yes, great idea peppyre. Potentially miserable job for the puppy sitter (imagine 7 wet dogs all shaking dry and/or jockeying for attention... messy (and I'm a devout dog person)). But talk about regionality - this would be a much sought-after service for Vancouverites, in particular Kits residents.

Daddy-A: although I'm sure Horschack is currently looking for work, I don't see how he will fit into our theme here. Or maybe it's the chaotic lack of theme that he fits into??

In any case, keep the good ideas rolling people!

Perhaps we should be designing two restaurants?....I still think that the English Bay location is great....

The problem with this thread is that some people are taking it seriously and others are not....nothing wrong with that....but it seems to have stalled the thread.

If we have one restaurant for sillyness and one for serious consideration....maybe that would be better?

Also...much as i like the mexican idea, does it really reflect where we live? (as one of Jamie's criteria) It certainly reflects what Vancouver lacks!

Mr Maw? Would you care to give your thoughts?....are you willing to give a push to refocus us?

I certainly could cancel with Carlos Santana and get back on track with a serious, no-cedar plank salmon restaurant at Jericho Beach. And after much consideration, I would be happy to have the Irishgirl as the exec. Sous :biggrin: .

Her talents would be wasted there, and better put to use rallying the kitchen troops before each shift.

Edited by nwyles (log)

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

Daddy-A: although I'm sure Horschack is currently looking for work, I don't see how he will fit into our theme here.

If it were a steakhouse, Horshack would be perfect. Because any serious Kotter fan knows that the name Horshack means "the cattle are dying".

:cool: Trivia god/geek

I know a man who gave up smoking, drinking, sex, and rich food. He was healthy right up to the day he killed himself. - Johnny Carson

Daddy-A: although I'm sure Horschack is currently looking for work, I don't see how he will fit into our theme here.

If it were a steakhouse, Horshack would be perfect. Because any serious Kotter fan knows that the name Horshack means "the cattle are dying".

:cool: Trivia god/geek

Steakhouse !

I could work in one of those!

Sign me up.

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

I'm diggin' the steakhouse idea! God knows Vancouver is lacking in that department! :rolleyes:

I don't mind washing dishes or waiting tables. I'll walk the floor, host, bartend, porter, bus tables, valet and even clean up the joint!

However, if I have to cook 600 - 700 steaks a night, you'll have to ship me off to the nuthouse...been there done that...to many Keg-mares!!

I'll take steak over Mexican any day... (sorry peppyre) just don't make me cook it!!

Please...

Seriously..

John

It was the Law of the Sea, they said. Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top.

Hunter S. Thompson ---- R.I.P. 1939 - 2005

"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society."

--Mark Twain