• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Design Our Dream BC Restaurant

jamiemaw

[Money, people, all we need is lots and lots of money. Ideas we have.

Sorry to say, but in my mind I have hijacked this dream so I am the Chef ( in name only ) others my come and play in my new restaurant as I do work well with others. :biggrin:

Yay, Neil. Are the cheques pouring in yet?

Cheers,

Anne

As to the walk from the car to the front door - a covered walkway with harvestable plants growing up the sides - the has been an offer or two for gardening services already so this is a slam dunk. It certainly would add to the local ingredient aspect and help keep food cost down. Perhaps we could grow hops or grapes to add to our own beverages. How could the City object to that.

Money, people, all we need is lots and lots of money. Ideas we have.

Sorry to say, but in my mind I have hijacked this dream so I am the Chef ( in name only ) others my come and play in my new restaurant as I do work well with others. :biggrin:

After I posted above, i thought that i was being mean, and thought that valet run golf carts to the restaurant would be feasable....but then I like your covered walkway idea better. Lots and lots of fresh herbs and edible flowers.

:smile:

If we're at Jericho, can we have a beach-volleyball court next to the bar?  And shower facilities so I can wash up after playing so as not to offend the other diners?

Hmmmm - egullteers showering for the patrons. We may have found our source of funding.... Not sure if people are going to pay to watch or pay to not have to watch.

As to the walk from the car to the front door - a covered walkway with harvestable plants growing up the sides - the has been an offer or two for gardening services already so this is a slam dunk. It certainly would add to the local ingredient aspect and help keep food cost down. Perhaps we could grow hops or grapes to add to our own beverages. How could the City object to that.

Money, people, all we need is lots and lots of money. Ideas we have.

After I posted above, i thought that i was being mean, and thought that valet run golf carts to the restaurant would be feasable....but then I like your covered walkway idea better. Lots and lots of fresh herbs and edible flowers.

Your mean comments had you as a shoo in for the exec. sous chef position - now that you have shown your kinder, softer gentler side, - Head Hostess

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

www.hamiltonstreetgrill.com

Your mean comments had you as a shoo in for the exec. sous chef position - now that you have shown your kinder, softer gentler side,  - Head Hostess

Can I apply for the position of "grill bitch"? :cool:

A.

Your mean comments had you as a shoo in for the exec. sous chef position - now that you have shown your kinder, softer gentler side,  - Head Hostess

Can I apply for the position of "grill bitch"? :cool:

Only if you shave your legs as well as your head. :wink:

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

After I posted above, i thought that i was being mean, and thought that valet run golf carts to the restaurant would be feasable....but then I like your covered walkway idea better.  Lots and lots of fresh herbs and edible flowers.

Your mean comments had you as a shoo in for the exec. sous chef position - now that you have shown your kinder, softer gentler side, - Head Hostess

PLEASE NO!!!!!! I could never be a FOH person. I am far too blunt with people. If they pissed me off I would tell them to their face.

But the other job? Hmmm.....Let's talk money.

But seriously, (Back to practicality)

If you want this concept to work, you would have to have more than just a restaurant going on here to make it a destination area. The thing about Lumiere is that it is entrenched in a nice little area of restaurants and shops that people walk to or drive by and are interested.

I like Arne's ideas but they are still focused on Summer activity. We need something that will draw people in during the Winter. It has to be substantial, or you will never get the regular diners, and the place would just become an oddity in winter. Believe me, I've worked in seasonal places during the winter....and they are like graveyards. :unsure:

And you don't want it to become a tourist trap either. You want the locals there. You want people from the west side and the east side to come down....perhaps a marketing campaign based on the fact that they don't have to drive over a bridge to get home? Or are you just counting on your witty personality and excellent food to draw them in? There has to be an original catch...either foodwise...(Lumiere didn't really start taking off until they started the tasting menu thing)....or marketingwise....or education wise....something!

Keep going!

How about a name?

Sand

View.....Bar.Grill.Drink

Miramar Bebido (view of the sea...drunk)

Or how about:

Neil's at the Beach

The Beach (a.k.a. Neil's place)

The Hanger Steak Inn (Neil's Hanger)

Or just plain:

Neil's

Well....

John

It was the Law of the Sea, they said. Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top.

Hunter S. Thompson ---- R.I.P. 1939 - 2005

"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society."

--Mark Twain

How about a name?

Sand

View.....Bar.Grill.Drink

Miramar Bebido (view of the sea...drunk)

Or how about:

Neil's at the Beach

The Beach (a.k.a. Neil's place)

The Hanger Steak Inn (Neil's Hanger)

Or just plain:

Neil's

Well....

John

Here we go!

The Gullet (or Neil's Gullet)

The Gingerbread House (no, that would have to be near/in a forest)

I like Neil's as then there is only one person to blame if it goes bellyup.

"One chocolate truffle is more satisfying than a dozen artificially flavored dessert cakes." Darra Goldstein, Gastronomica Journal, Spring 2005 Edition

Ok, this is not sounding fun - already predictions of going belly up.

Everyone needs to be behind this.

I do not have enough cheques yet.

Get those pens out !

The cheque is in the mail. (sorry, couldn't resist)

I think Irish girl is right. There has to be a catch. Maybe we need to set up a few faux fishing boats on the water so we can advertise "fresh fish and seafood". Seriously, now that tasting menus are done as well as amuse bouche, what's the next trend? Anyone been travelling lately?

"One chocolate truffle is more satisfying than a dozen artificially flavored dessert cakes." Darra Goldstein, Gastronomica Journal, Spring 2005 Edition

Courage, everyone...this venture is not yet belly-up. We haven't even had our first Chatters review.

It's natural for me to see the end of something good right at the beginning in order for me to feel great joy with every success. Yes, definitely we need the Chatters review so we'll have to budget for a few free PR meals. And how about that Mr. Maw. I like how he starts a thread and then we don't hear from him again. Sounds more like a general contractor than a developer. :wink:

Male strippers?

Edited by butter (log)

Ok, this is not sounding fun - already predictions of going belly up.

Everyone needs to be behind this.

I do not have enough cheques yet.

Get those pens out !

The cheque is in the mail. (sorry, couldn't resist)

I think Irish girl is right. There has to be a catch. Maybe we need to set up a few faux fishing boats on the water so we can advertise "fresh fish and seafood". Seriously, now that tasting menus are done as well as amuse bouche, what's the next trend? Anyone been travelling lately?

Fishing boat off of Kits Point is a unique idea but I am not sure what they would be catching. Maybe just for visual effect only.

I agree about the Cedar Plank - they should be used as shingles on this project only.

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

Since it's on the beach, we could have lifeguard-watching...with both genders well-represented.

I fear if we tried to tie it into the concept too hard we'd find ourselves competing with Hooters for business, though, which really doesn't appeal somehow. And I generally prefer my servers to wear more than 1 ft² of fabric.

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies

I fear if we tried to tie it into the concept too hard we'd find ourselves competing with Hooters for business, though, which really doesn't appeal somehow. And I generally prefer my servers to wear more than 1 ft² of fabric.

At the mere mention of Hooter's I have to laugh - here is the marketing / customer demographic survey gone terribly wrong -

Oh look - a overly high population of males, 25 to 35, $35000 - $85000 a year in income

The West End of Vancouver - the perfect place for a Hooter's !

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

Anyone remember that fashionista thread about the Bacchus staff uniforms a couple months back?

Where's Mr. Maw? I'm thinking classic private school uniforms for the servers. The guys from toe to head: black oxfords, grey socks, grey flannel shorts, white button down, house tie, navy blazer, and a "Goodbye Mr. Chips" hat of the shady variety. The girls in same except with pleated tartan skirt. Do the Wyles clan have a tartan?

Moving right along, another option would be having all the servers dressed like Kato from the Pink Panther. How about Cuban military uniforms? 17th century High Court livery? Viet Cong pajamas? There's gotta be something...

I guess we'll have to wait and see what they wear on Godiva's, but I think I might be on to something with the Viet Cong thing, though the sandals might freak some people out.

Staff uniforms anyone?

Edited by editor@waiterblog (log)

Andrew Morrison

Food Columnist | The Westender

Editor & Publisher | Scout Magazine

I do not think the Wyles Clan has a tartan, being from Cockney London, but my mother's side , The Clan McCabe, I am sure would have one. I don't know about the staff uniforms for that but certainly the seat padding could be in that. That would be a nice little hello to my mother - everyone's ass on the tartan :biggrin:

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

I'm thinking classic private school uniforms for the servers. The guys from toe to head: black oxfords, grey socks, grey flannel shorts, white button down, house tie, navy blazer, and a "Goodbye Mr. Chips" hat of the shady variety. The girls in same except with pleated tartan skirt.

Yes Andrew, this I can get behind, though instead of "skirt" I'd say "kilt". I went to SMU ( :shock: ) so I do have a soft spot in my heart for this getup. So many adolescent memories...

Actually for the boys I'm having second thoughts. Imagine a grizzled old Angus Young lookalike serving you the sausage & taco platter - now tell me, shorts, pants, or waitresses only? :raz:

The way you guys are talking, we should call the place ... Flirt!

or Sammy J. Pepper's.

John

It was the Law of the Sea, they said. Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top.

Hunter S. Thompson ---- R.I.P. 1939 - 2005

"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society."

--Mark Twain