• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Design Our Dream BC Restaurant

jamiemaw

OK, folks. We've all learned a lot from our time on these boards, right?

I thought it might be great fun, and even educational, to collaboratively design a dream restaurant. Everything, from cutlery to cuisine, is up for discussion. There's only one chief tenet--to some extent it should reflect where we live.

Some items for your consideration:

1. Location

2. Cuisine down to specific dishes

3. Decor

4. FOH staff you would hire

5. That chef thing

6. The wine list--greatest hits and loads of value

7. Number of seats

6. Patio?

7. China and glassware service

8. Theme or no theme?

9. Marketing and PR--how would you launch it?

10. Wild Card--what makes it unique in the cacophony of BC dining?

11. Food cost budget.

12. Rent or purchase the real estate?

It should be interesting to see if we design a donkey or something with potential.

Fire when ready,

Jamie

Edited by jamiemaw (log)

from the thinly veneered desk of:

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

www.vancouvermagazine.com

Foodblog: In the Belly of the Feast - Eating BC

"Profumo profondo della mia carne"

Boathouse Location (I’ll second that)

Few food things from me:

1. Aged meat that also includes game fair

2. Non-main stream seafood (salmon is everywhere, I’d like to see more variety – something that you don’t see everyday)

3. Supporting ingredients that support the main item in the dish. Such as a nice risotto that was under the steak, helps make the plate but can be eaten alone

Jason

"Dream" is the key word right? How can we do this topic when dreams (most expensive) and reality (budget) are involved?

If it's a dream theme I'll suggest: Only open 6 months of the year it's so successful. That way owners/chefs/staff can travel and stay up to date on food trends. (I heard there is a famous restaurant in Spain only open half a year, waiting list for years. Anyone know it's name, BTW?)

Are we supposed to be more serious?

"One chocolate truffle is more satisfying than a dozen artificially flavored dessert cakes." Darra Goldstein, Gastronomica Journal, Spring 2005 Edition

(I heard there is a famous restaurant in Spain only open half a year, waiting list for years. Anyone know it's name, BTW?)

I think you're talking about El Bulli ... Feran Adria's place.

Are we supposed to be more serious?

Us? Serious?

A.

OK, I'll play.

I think it would be helpful to pick a location and expand from there.  I'll start by suggesting the Boathouse location on Beach. 

Have at it.

How about that giant ashphalt salb down by Jericho Beach, to the left of the Sailing club. Slightly out of the way, with parking, amazing view, parks board as the landlord, build a boat launch for day sailers etc. Wow, what a Westcost experience that would be.

Patio - huge

Chef, why me of course ! Can anyone secure the funding ? PM me if you can and I can clear my schedule right away !!

Food cost ? As long as all other elements were in line to turn a profit, this could go up to 40 % In order for that to work, it has to come from somewhere - service, beverage cost, little or no rent, or just sheer volume, volume, volume - in order for a restaurant like this to sustain itself, it needs to turn a profit. People have lost fortunes building their dreams.

Build a salmon stream right into the park. That would have David Suzuki eating there every day !

How about that as a starting point ?

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

www.hamiltonstreetgrill.com

OK, I'll play.

I think it would be helpful to pick a location and expand from there.  I'll start by suggesting the Boathouse location on Beach. 

Have at it.

How about that giant ashphalt salb down by Jericho Beach, to the left of the Sailing club. Slightly out of the way, with parking, amazing view, parks board as the landlord, build a boat launch for day sailers etc. Wow, what a Westcost experience that would be.

Patio - huge

Chef, why me of course ! Can anyone secure the funding ? PM me if you can and I can clear my schedule right away !!

Food cost ? As long as all other elements were in line to turn a profit, this could go up to 40 % In order for that to work, it has to come from somewhere - service, beverage cost, little or no rent, or just sheer volume, volume, volume - in order for a restaurant like this to sustain itself, it needs to turn a profit. People have lost fortunes building their dreams.

Build a salmon stream right into the park. That would have David Suzuki eating there every day !

How about that as a starting point ?

OK, this is getting interesting!

I like your ideas Neil. And of course we need to make a profit.

Cheers,

Anne

Chef thing - well it would be a collaborated effort. Think about it, I mean of course each partner would have an area that he/she is responsible for but each partner would push each other to keep the quality at simply the best. That we could rotate out while one of the “owners/chefs/staff can travel and stay up to date on food trends” (*Butter quote)

Well volume - (I don’t' remember what Jericho Beach looks like but assuming it has a board walk of sorts) we could have inside dinning for those that actually want to sit down and have a great meal but also have some sort of outside element - like a walk up bar with outside seating – same restaurant but different feel.

That way we get the some business by those that aren't really that hungry and are out for a stroll and are looking at the Salmon stream but we'd also we get business from those that actually want to have a meal.

J

Great idea Neil.

I can donate some pens and maybe a few wine cranks for start-up capital.

Here's the two cents I can afford to put forward to this dream:

This is my dream, where all involved abandon hindrances like ego, fame, and rep to work together for peanuts to achieve products/experience/excellence without equal

Design team of David Hepworth (Feenie's) and Karri Schuerman (Chambar) consult with service staff vets to blend west coast chic and FOH functionality.

Visiting chefs every fourth Monday night work with a core kitchen crew including an exec who liases with each visiting chef. Eg. Feenie Dinner. Hawksworth Dinner. Vij Dinner. Each visiting top shelf chef would present a menu in concert with the exec.

Open kitchen with kitchen bar - seats reserved for outside kitchen staff and deBrulle students for in-house tutorials during service. Free flow exchange of ideas, method, and execution to be encouraged.

Small sections for servers. Four table max. Support staff include two runners, one busser per two servers, an ever-present manager at the front door orchestrating all aspects of seating and a sommelier cruising the floor at all times with his crank.

Bar focus on micro-breweries, with 25 beers on tap from the best brewers in B.C.

Two wine lists, one exclusively focusing on B.C., like the Aurora Bistro but far more extensive. The other focusing on the rest of the world. Reasonable mark-ups.

At least 50 wines by the glass, all of them from B.C.

Rooftop vegetable garden and patio.

Oh yeah, and televisions in every urinal. :laugh:

Edited by editor@waiterblog (log)

Andrew Morrison

Food Columnist | The Westender

Editor & Publisher | Scout Magazine

If we're at Jericho, can we have a beach-volleyball court next to the bar? And shower facilities so I can wash up after playing so as not to offend the other diners?

It must be a Vancouver thing, but I really like the concept of outdoor dining. Perhaps a fire pit and a retractable roof just in case ... you know ... it rains? Also, taking a cue from places like Sooke Harbour House, our own garden for herbs, peppers, etc. I'm sure J (my wife, not BonfireCuisine :hmmm: ) would be happy helping look after that (I'm expecting a call from her any moment to give me hell for volunteering her! :laugh: )

And Neil, as much as I'd love you to be the chef, I'd also want you to be able to sit down with us a few times and have a glass of wine and just relax. You could work in shifts perhaps?

A.

Also, taking a cue from places like Sooke Harbour House, our own garden for herbs, peppers, etc.  I'm sure J (my wife, not BonfireCuisine  :hmmm: ) would be happy helping look after that (I'm expecting a call from her any moment to give me hell for volunteering her!  :laugh: )

A.

I'll take a few shifts on the garden to help out.

Cheers,

Anne

It is now nearly 4:00 and I have had only a couple of PM's about funding my dream. People, if we are get this off the ground by the end of the week, get your chequebooks out !

Isn't Jamie the finance guy?

Cheers,

Anne

It is now nearly 4:00 and I have had only a couple of PM's about funding my dream. People, if we are get this off the ground by the end of the week, get your chequebooks out !

Isn't Jamie the finance guy?

He would be the developer. This way we would get some good press right out of the gate and with a full plattoon of egulletters waiting on each and every person, we are bound to be a success.

Anyone know Kyle Washington ? Perhaps it could be a floating restaurant !

N

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

And Neil, as much as I'd love you to be the chef, I'd also want you to be able to sit down with us a few times and have a glass of wine and just relax. You could work in shifts perhaps?

In a restaurant this size and the volume that it is going to have, I will be chef in name only. I will become a marketing icon. The will be a full brigade of restaurants chefs and sou-chefs working under me. My job will be to market the restaurant, and help create a unique brand of dining. Should we have my picture on each and every plate to aid in the branding ?

I would be available for drinking wine and promotional pictures each and every moment of the day.

Wow, I sure hope this works out.

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

I would be available for drinking wine and promotional pictures each and every moment of the day.

Methinks that regular manscaping would, indeed, be in order. Who'll volunteer for this position?! :shock::raz:

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

Although i must admit that I have thought that the Jericho location would be perfect for a restaurant in the past.....(and have wondered if anything else was there before).....My only problem with this location is that in the winter the place would be DEAD. No walk by traffic. So is this a seasonal place only? Hard to pay the rent if the place is closed for a couple of months....and I highly doubt that the COV would let you buy the location.

Parking would also be an issue....especially for those Vancouverites who can't stand having to get wet (rain) between their car and the restaurant.

Sorry to rain on the parade....but that's my two cents. :sad:

Parking would also be an issue....especially for those Vancouverites who can't stand having to get wet (rain) between their car and the restaurant.

Irishgirl - Vancouverites are so very used to getting rained on, those people you're talking about must be imports!

If the "Jericho Cafe" is really going to be seasonal, then the location works, but otherwise I agree the traffic in the winter would be a slow trickle. Sometimes people just don't want to drive that far when it's cold and rainy out, and the location is only really convenient for people from Pt Grey or UBC. (edit 2: just reread this and see that once again I've contradicted myself in adjacent paragraphs! :wacko: )

Personally I like the Kits Beach location, has the new CoV restaurant been finished and opened yet? (edit 1: I just caught Jamie's thread on waterfront restaurants and therefore rescind this comment.) I know, parking nightmare, but the view and atmosphere during the summer are pretty great.

Food: an expansion on what Bonfire J said earlier - NO CEDAR PLANK SALMON!!! Cannot recall the last time I ordered this but sure am sick of seeing it on menus. Good usage of local seafood is a must of course; prawns prawns prawns! Lots of mushrooms too. Apres cheese plate another must.

Wine: yes to the by-the-glass suggestion, and the regionality (BC and other) lists. As I understand it, it's hard to grow a good pinot so BC is lucky that way and we should showcase this proudly. Also, sometimes it's hard to match everyone's dishes and tastes, so quality BTG wine can be a godsend.

FOH staff: we'll plunder Earl's... :smile::smile:

Edited by BCinBC (log)

Although i must admit that I have thought that the Jericho location would be perfect for a restaurant in the past.....(and have wondered if anything else was there before).....My only problem with this location is that in the winter the place would be DEAD.  No walk by traffic.  So is this a seasonal place only?  Hard to pay the rent if the place is closed for a couple of months....and I highly doubt that the COV would let you buy the location.

Sorry to rain on the parade....but that's my two cents. :sad:

Why must you rain on my parade.

It would become a culinary destination - with all of the power of the egulleters behind it, people will beat a path to its door.

Lumiere has created this sort of attraction - it is a destination. When it first opened, it certainly was off of the beaten path as far as the concentration of restaurants. Rob has turned that part of Broadway into a culinary destination, so we know that it can be done.

COV - if they would let the deep fry masters of the Elephant and Castle group ( they also run Rosie's on Robson ) take over perhaps one of their premier spot in the country for the cost of building some new change rooms, this location has a chance. Perhaps for the cost of a three story parkade at the Sailing club.

As to the walk from the car to the front door - a covered walkway with harvestable plants growing up the sides - the has been an offer or two for gardening services already so this is a slam dunk. It certainly would add to the local ingredient aspect and help keep food cost down. Perhaps we could grow hops or grapes to add to our own beverages. How could the City object to that.

Money, people, all we need is lots and lots of money. Ideas we have.

Sorry to say, but in my mind I have hijacked this dream so I am the Chef ( in name only ) others my come and play in my new restaurant as I do work well with others. :biggrin:

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill