• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Havana Club 7yr rum in Canadian Bottles !

This started in the London Dock Topic. And was going off topic so I have started a new topic.

Bolivar Petit Corona started by asking a question re Havana Club in Ontario, Canada.

Were all rums in Ontario Bulk shipped then bottled in Canada ?.  Followed by his noticing that the bottle of Havana Club 7yr he had was Canadian. I then read the bottom of two Havana Club cartons , 7yr carton was made in Ontario and the Anjo carton was made in Quebec.and both bottles were stamped Made in Canada.

The bottle labels (in Ontario liquor stores) state "Distilled and Produced by Havana Club, cuba." They do not say where the bottling took place, or if from bulk shipped rum ( and diluted to bottling strength of 40%-80proof)  All part of deceptive labeling

World wide Distribution /advertising etc is now part of Pernod Ricard in France for Havana Club of Cuba ever since the Dec 19 2001 FTC approval over Bacardi.

I have not had time to research this topic any further but its producing some very interesting answers. When I get the full story,I will let you know (late next week). So I dont think I should say anything out of order today.

In my last answer (under London Dock) I said there was a partnership with Havana Club (Cuba) and Paul Ricard in France.  I should have said "Groupe Pernod Ricard in France"

Gone rumsearching......John Reekie

Canada produces a number of rum bottles including those used by the Cruzan Rum distillery in St Croix. In fact both the bottle and cardboard cases the Cruzan uses in the islands are made in Canada.

Unfortunately, it isn't always easy to tell where the rum was bottled. However looking at several rums bottled in Cuba, many of them say produced and bottled in Cuba. My experience is that if the label doesn't say there the rum was bottled, or distilled, they don't want you to know.

This doesn't mean that the rum isn't as good as those bottled at the distillery but there is certainly room for quality control to slip.

In the case of Cockspur VSOR, which I like very much, there are two different blends being sold, the one bottled in Barbados is far superior to the one blended and bottled in the states.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

The Complete Guide to Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'll take it.

I am playing telephone tag with the Pernod Ricard Canada salesman who are the Havana Club agents, so have not come up with the answer as yet . I hope to get back to the Forum soon.

Again I am, still working on the answer to our question.

But in the meanwhile I would like to put the same Question to Stephan Macha in Germany.   Do you know if Havana Club Rums are bulk shipped to europe for bottling and what do the bottles and casses read with regards to distilliation, produced by, bottled by and where.

Greetings,

I just ran down and checked my bottle of HC 7 YO, it states; "Distilled and Bottled by Corporacion Cuba Ron, Havana Cuba".  I bought this bottle in Quebec Canada.

Cheers

"Traveler, you who sail into the Caribbean in silvered yacht or gilded cruise ship, pause as you enter these waters to remember that deep below rest three men of honor who helped determine the history of this onetime Spanish Lake: Sir John Hawkins, builder of the English navy; Sir Francis Drake, conqueror of all known seas; Admiral Ledesma, stubborn enhancer of his king's prerogatives and the interests of his own strong family"

James A. Michener - Caribbean