• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Watermelon Syrup?

sarah o

Last august i purchased a jar of watermelon syrup in a grocery store when i was

in Canada. When i asked at the checkout no one had a clue what to do with it.

any body know? is it put on pancakes? For Baking?

it apparently is homeade, in a ball jar, and ingredients are watermelon and sugar.

I think made by Amish.

Whaddya think?

Sarah

You might be able to make a watermelon ice cream or sorbet with it

I've never heard of it either, but it sounds like something you might just drizzle on pancakes or toast

Cutting the lemon/the knife/leaves a little cathedral:/alcoves unguessed by the eye/that open acidulous glass/to the light; topazes/riding the droplets,/altars,/aromatic facades. - Ode to a Lemon, Pablo Neruda

Buy some carbonated water/seltzer/club soda and mix it up with a shot of it, and you got watermelon soda!

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I second Jason's motion.

It is used to make a drink, mixed with seltzer water.

Some people mix it with lemonade.

You can also add some to a dressing for fruit salad.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Is it thick or thin?

I vote for using in cocktails... rum, gin, tequila would all be good combos. :cool:

even if thick, you could dilute with something like apple juice and use it to make Watermelon Soup with a scoop of strawberry sorbet, a la Payard.

I like to cook with wine. Sometimes I even add it to the food.

Watermelon mojitos would be fun...it would make summer seem a little bit closer to today.

You could probably make a fun panna cotta with it. Or use it in a soaking syrup on sponge cake. If you wanted to go savory it would be a great base for a marinade or even a ceviche. Spike it with citrus and herbs...

You could also use it as the base for a spicy/sweet compote with chiles or mustard seeds, pickled watermelon rind, whatever fruit you have around and serve it with meats or cheeses.

A. Kamozawa

Ideas in Food