• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Margot's Bistro, Padstow

Thanks Slacker, glad you enjoyed it.

In defence of poor old Brighton, we do have the excellent and reasonably priced Hotel Du Vin and I have recently had very enjoyable experiences at China garden for Dim Sum and Woodies Diner for burgers and fries. But in my experience, restaurants in my home town of a similar size and price point to Margot's don't deliver to anywhere near the same degree.

In defence of poor old Brighton, we do have the excellent and reasonably priced Hotel Du Vin

Uncanny. My last meal in Winchester was HdV and, wait for it, my father had the most delctable Chocolate Fondant. Were you cooking that day, Andy?

Also drank P.R. C.W.C. 19?? which was tons nicer than B.G.A. 1990 wa had just before it.

slacker,

Padstow, Cornwall

My last meal in Winchester was HdV and, wait for it, my father had the most delctable Chocolate Fondant. Were you cooking that day, Andy?

No, no connection with the Winchester hotel, but have spent a couple of days in the kitchens in brighton which I think I have mentioned elsewhere. I was on the hot starters, not puddings though.

• 7 months later...

That's brilliant news. Congratulations. Are you dividing and conquering? Are you training up a new generation of little Basilpuppies?

"Gimme a pig's foot, and a bottle of beer..." Bessie Smith

Flickr Food

"111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321" Bruce Frigard 'Winesonoma' - RIP

PRESS RELEASE

Margot's Restaurant at the Tregea Hotel Padstow

The gastronomic attractions of Padstow are set to increase this May with the partnership of the highly reputed Margot's Bistro and the exclusive and tranquil setting of the Tregea Hotel. Margot's has been established and producing beautifully crafted menus for over 10 years and under the guidance of Chef /Proprietor Adrian Oliver has gone from strength to strength

"We had contemplated a small expansion, but were very conscious of both finding the right venue and the right people so as to not dilute the quality of the Bistro. We believe we have now found those ingredients"

One of those ingredients, the Tregea Hotel, is also undergoing expansion, with the acquirement and renovation of Ruskin House a small and stunningly furnished guesthouse next door to the Tregea.

Tregea's owner, businessman and actor Nick Orchard said," We are very excited to be able to offer our guests such fantastic food to go with what we are confident will be a superb hotel experience"

Hotel and Restaurant Manager Gregg Curtis-"Nick and I were agonising about having such a fantastic place to dine, but without the people to do it. Then I met Adrian and now we have found someone who's culinary principles exceed the quality that we were aspiring to"

The Restaurant will be open to non-residents, but with only 9 tables, 1 sitting and with residents having priority, tables will probably be as hard to book as the Bistro! The Dinner Menu will be very similar to the Bistro's, using the best of local produce. Chefs Philip and Mathew Cortis, brothers with several years experience of working at Margot's will be in the kitchen.

All this promises to be a very exciting time in a town whose reputation for food is already very well known

Opening Hours Tuesday-Saturday from 7pm

From May 6th 2004

Contact details…Gregg Curtis, Tregea Hotel Manager 01841 532455

Adrian Oliver, Margot's 01841 533441

www.tregea.co.uk

www.margots.co.uk

• 7 months later...

Ooops, a bit late, but we finished at the Hotel end September.A very good learning experience, and if i say so myself, very successfull.Sadly we will not be continuing next year, due to stuff that is none of your buisness :raz:

We close on the 13th November for about a month, time for a bit of work to be done in the kitchen and maybe a new wooden floor for the restaurant.Oh, and a bit of a rest.

• 4 months later...

Only 4months late with a reply, sorry Andy.

Been back open since late Jan, all going well in the revamped kitchen.New chairs out front, and we have lost the table cloths for a less formal look (and it saves money).

Only downer is the guy above us has painted his outside wall a shade of green not unlike the Creme de Menthe Cheesecake i used to make before i learnt how to cook.Looks sooo good against our blue frontage (NOT)

Yes, we had to clear eveything out (apart from the stove) to clad the walls in plastic, so we moved a couple of sinks, changed some plumbing, did a bit of stainless steel work and it does feel bigger.Your little corner is twice the size!

• 1 year later...
Well we do requests.Tell us what you want, and if we can get it/do it no problem.

can i have a tasting menu? :laugh:

Have you been reading my new site Marshall? Jeeze

Tonight 5 Course Tasting Menu

Homemade Herb Bread

Cornish Butter and Marinated Olives

Mussels with Ginger and Coriander

Mushroom and Chorizo Risotto

Stir Fried Squid

Cornish Lamb

Any Dessert

Tea /Coffee with

Fudge and Caramelised Walnuts

£30.95

Basil, Gary, where are you both respectively from London, in terms of distance? We'll be in London for a couple of days mid june. Bas, since I have a picture of your bistro hanging in my kitchen, maybe I should visit it. :biggrin:

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.